Let's talk about Bigmouth Strikes Again

Haunted Head

I remember being uncomfortable with the lyrics of this song when I started getting into the Smiths.
Re-reading them as an adult, they're actually worse than I remember. This song is basically "I feel persecuted because you pointed out that I'm being an ass".
Morrissey is a brilliant front man, and the Smiths were epic, but I find myself a bit put off by the people who *really* identify with Morrissey.

Last edited:
I remember being uncomfortable with the lyrics of this song when I started getting into the Smiths.
Re-reading them as an adult, they're actually worse than I remember. This song is basically "I feel persecuted because you pointed out that I'm being an ass".
Morrissey is a brilliant front man, and the Smiths were epic, but I find myself a bit put off by the people who *really* identify with Morrissey.
eally identify with Morrissey.

I don't know he does get attacked a lot over some ridiculous stuff and his humor has not worked for him sometimes. Sometimes he just says things he shouldn't like everyone else. I think he's saying he just wants to be treated like any human being who might make a mistake or be misunderstood. No one likes to be attacked and he got a lot of weird stuff thrown at him. The lyrics to this song are very slight. There's not much to be all that mad at or worried about

I don't know he does get attacked a lot over some ridiculous stuff and his humor has not worked for him sometimes. Sometimes he just says things he shouldn't like everyone else. I think he's saying he just wants to be treated like any human being who might make a mistake or be misunderstood. No one likes to be attacked and he got a lot of weird stuff thrown at him. The lyrics to this song are very slight. There's not much to be all that mad at or worried about
Well, the lyrics at the beginning of the song are pretty brutal.

i think it's funny. i take it as an objective observation of certain harmless personality traits either of his, or of a certain type of person; an amusing character profile. it's funny to me because i know people like that. my sister for instance.

because this a forum, and people make comments. The real question here is... 'let's talk about people who visit a forum frequented by people who do identify with M after stating that they are 'put off' by people who identify with M'

You'll find here that people identify with him by hating him, though they'd hate to admit such obvious truths.

Though people identify with so many things... race,their country, gender,religion, their possessions. So there are far worse and stranger things that people identify with. And at certain times in ones life, a song or artist may be just what they need to pull them through a difficult time. And that difficult time can in most cases last a lifetime.

"I would call it a parody if that sounded less like self-celebration, which it definitely wasn't. It was just a really funny song."

- Morrissey in Melody Maker 26 September 1987
If my topic doesn't interest you, then why waste your precious time typing it out and telling me that? Just skip my topic and go on to the next one. You don't have to leave a comment.

i think it's funny. i take it as an objective observation of certain harmless personality traits either of his, or of a certain type of person; an amusing character profile. it's funny to me because i know people like that. my sister for instance.
Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to smash every tooth
In your head
Oh sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking
When I said by rights you should be
Bludgeoned in your bed

Nothing harmless about that? That is very brutal lyrics.

In your head
Bludgeoned in your bed

*shrug* it's just words, doesnt mean he's gonna do it. only bores attach deep meaning and intention to everything they say. natural wordsmiths like morrissey can say whatever the hell they want, because it's just word art. and besides, havent you ever said anything like that out of.. i dont know... annoyance? and i've always imagined this sweetness that he sings of is probably quite an annoying person (but maybe i just like to think that, because it strikes me as the height of hilarity to think of morrissey stuck with an annoying person)

Is
oh the :drama:.

Dear Morrissey,
How dare you use such strong language in your songs! I'm sure if you had children like I do or have been brought up in a god fearing home like I have, you'd think twice about such actions. Now put down that bicycle chain and be 'nice'.

yours,

Crashing Bore
Is it not brutal though? It's not that that bothers me. It's the meaning of the song. He feels he's being persecuted because he's acting like an ass.

*shrug* it's just words, doesnt mean he's gonna do it. only bores attach deep meaning and intention to everything they say. natural wordsmiths like morrissey can say whatever the hell they want, because it's just word art. and besides, havent you ever said anything like that out of.. i dont know... annoyance? and i've always imagined this sweetness that he sings of is probably quite an annoying person (but maybe i just like to think that, because it strikes me as the height of hilarity to think of morrissey stuck with an annoying person)
Sure, I've said things like that but I'm not going to whine when I start getting called out for the shit I'm saying. "Oh, I feel like Joan of Arc because I'm being persecuted for the things I say". So bombastic.

oh the :drama:.

Dear Morrissey,
How dare you use such strong language in your songs! I'm sure if you had children like I do or have been brought up in a god fearing home like I have, you'd think twice about such actions. Now put down that bicycle chain and be 'nice'.

yours,

Crashing Bore
:drama:. like Morrissey in the song.

Sure, I've said things like that but I'm not going to whine when I start getting called out for the shit I'm saying. "Oh, I feel like Joan of Arc because I'm being persecuted for the things I say". So bombastic.
haha, i dont think he's being quite serious about that though! i mean, as ketamine sun pointed out, he said it was a parody. i thought that just went without saying. i mean, im sure we've all felt like that at times, after having made an ass of ourselves. i think it is often when we know our behaviour is deplorable that we get most sheepish and self-righteous about it; to go so far as to say you know how a holy martyr feels really takes that feeling to the next level. can you not see how it is a parody?

yes brutal, thank god brutal!, brilliantly brutal ! someone has to write it. I don't get he admits in the song he's 'acting like an ass'. Nor do I feel that that's the meaning of the song, it may be for you,which is fine.

To me it's a wonderfully emotive and wild song that doesn't need to fall victim to inspection and should be enjoyed for what it is.
He doesn't admit he's acting like an ass, but I feel he is. What do you think is the meaning of the song?

haha, i dont think he's being quite serious about that though! i mean, as ketamine sun pointed out, he said it was a parody. i thought that just went without saying. i mean, im sure we've all felt like that at times, after having made an ass of ourselves. i think it is often when we know our behaviour is deplorable that we get most sheepish and self-righteous about it; to go so far as to say you know how a holy martyr feels really takes that feeling to the next level. can you not see how it is a parody?
Yea I'm starting to believe it's a parody. Morrissey just has a weird sense of humor that I have to get used to.

In your head
Bludgeoned in your bed

It sounds catty to me with the sweetness bit and the delivery. Like they're gonna have a slap fight any second. I think the brutality is probably a joke about overreaction as well as people just taking things to seriously. Like its funny they take him so seriously at times and he's making a joke out of there outrage over things that probably only exist in there head

As a fan of both Morrissey and Type O Negative, go and look up the lyrics to Race War or Predator by Carnivore and get back to me about how "brutal" Bigmouth Strikes Again by Morrissey is. Hahahahaha.

Tags
morrissey the smiths
Back
Top Bottom