Let's hope Morrissey doesn't do this

The Seeker of Good Songs

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=24991_0_2_0_C

Download single only to become standard

The CD single format seems to become rather obsolete as more and more bands are switching to download singles instead. Whereas many indie bands already embraced the format as being a rather handy tool to release material we see more and more established bands taking over the habit. In the recent past bands such as Recoil or yet Sigur Ros started selling digital only singles in different digitalk formats with 1-track singles, 2-track singles and multi-track releases. It is expected that iTunes will also soon offer audio and video singles in one which will increase the possibilities. And more bands are quitting the CD format, The Cure for example will release their newest single as a download only and it seems that also Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan will go for download only to promote his newest solo album.

(Will old Mogsy have to give in to record lablel pressusres and do similar?)

Oh, that's HORRIBLE!!!!!!! As a packaging whore, I can't imagine a world without actual, physical singles that I can hold in my hands and read the lyrics and look at the pictures and the credits, etc. I mean, it was distressing enough to go from the beauty of gatefold albums to the mediocrity of the CD-format packaging, but THIS??? This is an atrocity!!! I tend to think that this will never happen with our Moz - look how much he loves packaging himself. Let's keep our fingers crossed, anyway.

:eek:I would have a fit if Moz does that. Nooo...he is not like Robert Smith or Dave Grahan.....it will not happen.:(

I have very little problem with this. A download could include a PDF booklet with as much art as he wants. The record industry will only be profitable in the future if it changes. Walmart is not going to order Moz CDs for each of its stores, he's not going to be in Target, and he probably won't get significant airplay on traditional over-the-air radio. Celine Dion will. There is no reason why an artist like Morrissey couldn't release a special edition CD package that's available only through the mail directly from the record company or a few chosen outlets. If it's not going to sit on a store shelf in a tiny bin, it doesn't have to be 6 inches square anymore. I just saw the special edition of the new Smashing Pumpkins cd, and it's a cool looking postbound book that looks like a vintage photo album or postcard book. A package could be any size or shape.

It's time to do things a new way. Now I'm going to duck and cover, I expect to be extremely unpopular for saying this. But, by the time I started seriously buying music, vinyl was nearly over and CDs were well on their way to becoming the dominant format. I never heard music I liked on the radio, ever, so it doesn't surprise me that I have to pay extra to XM to hear what I like.

I have very little problem with this. A download could include a PDF booklet with as much art as he wants. The record industry will only be profitable in the future if it changes. Walmart is not going to order Moz CDs for each of its stores, he's not going to be in Target, and he probably won't get significant airplay on traditional over-the-air radio. Celine Dion will. There is no reason why an artist like Morrissey couldn't release a special edition CD package that's available only through the mail directly from the record company or a few chosen outlets. If it's not going to sit on a store shelf in a tiny bin, it doesn't have to be 6 inches square anymore. I just saw the special edition of the new Smashing Pumpkins cd, and it's a cool looking postbound book that looks like a vintage photo album or postcard book. A package could be any size or shape.

It's time to do things a new way. Now I'm going to duck and cover, I expect to be extremely unpopular for saying this. But, by the time I started seriously buying music, vinyl was nearly over and CDs were well on their way to becoming the dominant format. I never heard music I liked on the radio, ever, so it doesn't surprise me that I have to pay extra to XM to hear what I like.

Exactly... There is nothing you wrote that I disagree with. The times are changing and eventually there will be NO CD stores. I am guessing that within the next 10 years EVERYTHING will be by download rental or download ownership.

Exactly... There is nothing you wrote that I disagree with. The times are changing and eventually there will be NO CD stores. I am guessing that within the next 10 years EVERYTHING will be by download rental or download ownership.

There already are no CD stores... in our nearest mall, there is one store that sells CDs, DVDs, and probably video games. Then you have Borders, Best Buy, and Target. There is still one used CD store around here- at least I think it's still in business. I know some people are really upset about that, but really, the internet is one big music store. It's got to be a generational thing. But I'm not all that young.

if you go into any so called major brittish music shops now you will notice that it is all DVD's , music is now the back seat because of down loading

i like to have something to take home look at and get excited by , downloading is dull ( does that last statement sound saucy)

i still want to buy cds ... can you imagine collecting download singles ?

I'd love to be able to buy cds but I simply cannot afford them. Usually they range from 14-25 dollars, and that is a lot for me as a student. If there is a band that I really really like and want to support, I'll buy their album within the first week of release. Other than that...I used to buy everything on cheap vinyl until my record player went all wonky. Now I am ashamed to say..

I don't want to buy CDs. Even if they are on sale or I have a 20% coupon at Borders, I'd rather just spend $10 and get the download. I only rip them into my computer anyway. We have a wireless media system and can listen to the music stored on our computers anywhere in the house. One thing I am careful to do is back up all the music- it's stored on two additional external hard drives.

I'd love to be able to buy cds but I simply cannot afford them. Usually they range from 14-25 dollars, and that is a lot for me as a student. If there is a band that I really really like and want to support, I'll buy their album within the first week of release. Other than that...I used to buy everything on cheap vinyl until my record player went all wonky. Now I am ashamed to say..

Try half.com... I have gotten some amazing deals over there even on current items. There are some that buy, rip and resell to get the higher quality files... I call it renting the CD... they will sometimes resell on half.com. Take a browse you may find something.

I don't want to buy CDs. Even if they are on sale or I have a 20% coupon at Borders, I'd rather just spend $10 and get the download. I only rip them into my computer anyway. We have a wireless media system and can listen to the music stored on our computers anywhere in the house. One thing I am careful to do is back up all the music- it's stored on two additional external hard drives.

Depends if I want the whole CD, or I am a major supporter of the artist. I will buy anything like sheep from the following:
Morrissey
U2
Dave Matthews

Certain albums are "must haves" for me and if buying the whole album I will purchase the CD. The last two Modest Mouse albums, Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams, Elliott Smith's Either/Or and Sting's Lute Album come to mind (Hey I liked it)

On a side note I also have purchased a LOT of Sinatra CDs... but am choosey as it is near impossible to afford everything ever produced since the 1930's...

the worst part of this is not the missing booklet but the crap quality of the downloads. i would be very unhappy if i could only get music in canny shitty mp3 in the future. sounds like a fraud to me. and what about people who don´t have the internet, or have download limits (which is the standard here)? you download a few songs and your monthly limit is gone. great. to hell with that.

Bring back more of the cassette tape albums.Call me old fashioned u cant beat them.I guess this is the way things are going in this cyber generation we live in i bet in 10 years time cd`s will be a rare concept .

What about Flash memory? They should sell music at very high quality on Flash memory cards... but the album art purists will shit themselves when the package is reduced to the size of a postage stamp!

What about Flash memory? They should sell music at very high quality on Flash memory cards... but the album art purists will shit themselves when the package is reduced to the size of a postage stamp!

On one drunken evening I came home and realized that I did not have perfect audio copies of the U2 concerts that were offered in the $150 U2 iTunes boxed set. To hell with that I said... I will not be denied my U2.

The nice thing about the U2 set is that it comes with the album art embedded in the file and came with a PDF booklet. If they can do that with a set they can do that with everything.

Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams and Curious George Cds came with the liners and a coloring book respectively.

Additionally... To tell the truth I would be okay with having everything go digital without rights protection and in higher quality. I have enough clutter without having to keep my CD collection organized. I still buy CDs but probably buy more individual songs on iTunes. I do not really use Limewire as I am tired of sifting through the mislabeled, glitchy, garbage that I download half the time.

Back
Top Bottom