Leonard Cohen's entire Beacon Theater (19 Feb 09) performance

The Seeker of Good Songs

NPR.org is going to stream a recording of Leonard's entire Beacon Theater
performance on Feb 26. More information on Monday at the NPR website

from NPR
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/

Musings: Leonard Cohen Live In NYC

by Bob Boilen
Let me cut right to the chase: Leonard Cohen's performance at the Beacon Theatre in New York City Thursday night was remarkable. His performance was gracious, his voice deep and direct, his body of work extraordinary. We'll have this entire concert online for you to hear -- for one month only, beginning Thursday, Feb. 26.
Cohen is 74, and cuts a striking figure. He looked as if he fell off a 1940s film noir set with his dark tailored suit and his one and only prop, his Frank Sinatra hat. That hat served him well as he bowed to his talented band of musicians and offered bows of appreciation to his fans.
His show was a greatest-hits set of sorts, with nothing new. That's usually a disappointment for me, but not on this night: All the old songs sounded fresh and new.

leonardblog.jpg

His show was a greatest-hits set of sorts, with nothing new. That's usually a disappointment for me, but not on this night: All the old songs sounded fresh and new.
I think this is an accurate set list.
"Dance Me to the End of Love"
"The Future"
"Ain't No Cure for Love"
"Bird on a Wire"
"Everybody Knows"
"In My Secret Life"
"Who by Fire"
"Chelsea Hotel"
"Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye"
"Sisters of Mercy"
"Anthem"
"Tower of Song"
"Suzanne"
"The Gypsy's Wife"
"The Partisan"
"Boogie Street"
"Hallelujah"
"I'm Your Man"
"Poem"
"Take This Waltz"
"So Long Marianne"
"First We Take Manhattan"
"Famous Blue Raincoat"
"If It Be Your Will"
"Democracy"
"I Tried to Leave You"
"Whither Thou Goest"

His lyrics continue to slay me, especially when he's on his knees singing these lines:

Like a bird on a wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
Like a worm on a hook,
like a knight from some old-fashioned book
I have saved all my ribbons for thee.
If I, if I have been unkind,
I hope that you can just let it go by.
If I, if I have been untrue
I hope you know it was never to you.

I've had my musical falling-out with Leonard Cohen over the years. His arrangements puzzle me; at times, they verge on smooth jazz, complete with fake horns and synthesized keyboards. But that was kept to a minimum at The Beacon Theatre. The only excursions in that direction came from Dino Soldo (when he picked up the soprano sax or his Electronic Wind Instrument) and keyboardist Neil Larsen. Both are talented musicians, but their style is almost always lightweight next to Cohen's bite. There were times when I wanted some dirt in the sound, but that's never been a part of Leonard Cohen's music.
One wonderful musical surprise came from Javier Mas. His mastery of the banduria (think of a big-bodied mandolin with 12 strings), the laud (which is bigger and deeper than the banduria) and a 12-string guitar added a Middle Eastern and Spanish flavor to the music. We've heard this throughout Cohen's career, but never more than last night. It made me think of the Portuguese music style Fado, with its sense of longing and yearning.
I've always mistakenly thought of Cohen's work as North American folk music, because that's where you found his records in stores back in the day. But his music is more European in style and attitude, which helps explain the contrast between song content and style.

I could not find a download link. I would like to give one of his live shows a try but most of my music listening is usually done on the train to and from work.

I could not find a download link. I would like to give one of his live shows a try but most of my music listening is usually done on the train to and from work.

The concert won't be online at NPR until Thursday, Feb. 26.
This concert will be online and available in the All Songs Considered podcast only until March 26.

check here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101034642

Leonard Cohen, Live At The Beacon Theatre

By Bob Boilen

Hear the entire concert on this page, beginning Thursday, Feb. 26.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101034642

NPR.org, February 23, 2009 - First, this concert is historic and a knockout. Leonard Cohen is a brilliant poet and songwriter. Second, Cohen may be coming to a town near you — details are in this recent blog post. If you have a chance to see him live, don't pass it up.
At 74, Cohen is no spring chicken. That said, his voice was in fine form and his stage presence is so graceful and passionate that you may rethink all those other great shows you've seen by younger artists.
This concert, from the gorgeous Beacon Theatre in Manhattan, finds Cohen revisiting a body of work that's more than 40 years deep and full of songs that have inspired every generation of songwriters since: "Dance Me to the End of Love," "Bird on a Wire," "Chelsea Hotel," "Sisters of Mercy," "Suzanne," "Hallelujah," "I'm Your Man," "Famous Blue Raincoat."
Cohen performs these songs with a talented band of musicians, including his collaborator and singer Sharon Robinson, as well as his other backup vocalists in The Webb Sisters. Here's the lineup:
Roscoe Beck, musical director, electric bass, stand-up bass, background vocals
Rafael Bernardo Gayol, drums and percussion
Neil Larsen, keyboards
Dino Soldo, wind instruments, harmonica, keyboard, and background vocals
Bob Metzger, lead guitar, pedal steel guitar
Javier Mas, banduria, laud, archilaud, 12-string guitar
Of these musicians, Mas is the one that Leonard Cohen would often get down on one knee and serenade — when he's not stopping to listen. Mas' performance on a variety of stringed instruments gave Cohen's sound a European flavor, and reminded me at times of a sound I heard in Portugal, called Fado. Fado is a bittersweet style music filled with longing and yearning. I heard it in Leonard Cohen's music while watching him perform at the Beacon Theatre, and it was wonderful to know that, at 74, he's still injecting new life into his old classics.

Thank you. I will definitely check it out as soon as it goes up.

The concert is also on iTunes as a freebie. The only problem is that it is one track of 60ish Mb. Will have to edit it into individual tracks for convenience.

In the song "The Future" he changed the lyric of " give me crack and anal sex..." to "...give me crack and careless sex..."

I'm really looking forward to seeing him in Winnipeg at the end of April. On my birthday, no less.

Back
Top Bottom