Lennon was right; Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a crap song

A

Anonymous

"John reacts by telling Paul that nobody else in the group “dug” his Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, a song they’ve just recorded for Abbey Road, and that it might be a good idea if he gave songs of that kind – which, John suggests, he probably didn’t even dig himself – to outside artists in whom he had an interest, such as Mary Hopkin, the Welsh folk singer. “I recorded it,” a drowsy Paul says, “because I liked it.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...reak-up-mark-lewisohn-abbey-road-hornsey-road

Nothing on Abbey Road beats I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Ok, Come Together is almost as good!

Agree those are the best but the whole thing is pretty good and hard to separate all the ones that run together on side 2. I like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."

Agree those are the best but the whole thing is pretty good and hard to separate all the ones that run together on side 2. I like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."

Lyrically it sounds very forced.

Have a listen to the way Macca sings "scene" in this verse:

'Back in school again Maxwell plays the fool again
Teacher gets annoyed
Wishing to avoid and unpleasant
Sce, e, e, ene'

Looking at the YouTube views for some of the tracks on Abbey Road and it's clear that Maxwell's Silver Hammer isn't as well liked as other tracks on the album:

This video of Come Together on YouTube has 33,919,877 views:

This video of I Want You (She's So Heavy) has 5,069,741 views:

And this video of Maxwell's Silver Hammer has 2,182,161 views:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer was for a long time growing up my favourite Beatles song, I still like it to this day, lyrically it's quite subversive.

When things are forced lyrically I think it just shows the skill and determination of the songwriter. And what is a walrus gumboot anyway? It's easy to make rhymes when it's all just gibberish.

When things are forced lyrically I think it just shows the skill and determination of the songwriter. And what is a walrus gumboot anyway? It's easy to make rhymes when it's all just gibberish.

There is nothing skilful about the way Macca sings 'scene'.

1*lREXpp7_Jq1ZCFonAksNIA.jpeg

Rose and Valerie screaming from the gallery say he must go free

1*kBWjjQpDJCyX1Zydgw3jwQ.png

This one should be a Morrissey backdrop.

The red gates of Strawberry Fields have been opened to the public at last. I imagine there'll be lots of visitors.

Sounds like a good thing.
Strawberry Field will be open every day. While it’s free to see the original gates, visit the café and explore the grounds, the interactive visitor exhibition costs £12.95 ($16). All money raised from the site will support Steps to Work, a Salvation Army project that helps local school-leavers gain employment. The program began in January and will begin operating from the state-of-the-art learning hub on Saturday.
“The youngsters who started nine months ago are already different people,” says Baird. “One young girl, who is desperately, desperately shy and has special needs – she wouldn’t have said boo to a goose when she arrived – we asked, ‘What has this done for you?’ She said, ‘Well, I was nothing. Now I’m not.'”​

Back
Top Bottom