Legacy Editions: Remaining Albums. Would you be interested?

Would you be interested in further 'Legacy Editions' of Morrissey's solo albums?

• Total voters

dizzywhore_1804

A big-nose who knows...
Seeing as the Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted re-issues have gone down well, even among us cynical bunch, I was just curious as to how you'd react if the remaining Morrissey solo albums were re-released in a similar format?

Possible factors to consider: new liner notes, new track order, new album art etc

What would you want to see, and what would you want to definately avoid?

Perhaps you like the fresh take on the old albums, or perhaps you're a purist who thinks the original art should stay, and the original order should be remastered and b-sides/demos attatched on a seperate disc?

Just something to ponder...

I voted no. These albums are pointless. I don't think any albums should be re-issued, ever, unless they're rare and out of print.

I am torn between options 1 and 2.

While I think there is little need to 'improve' Vauxhall and I it'd be interesting to see Morrissey's opinion of it in 2009.

And also, as with the exclusion of 'Roys Keen' and 'Papa Jack', they may be missing from the Legacy Editions but they're still always going to be on the original: so if you couldn't live with a new track order for Vauxhall you would always have the original...

Plus, you can't deny the remaster and liner notes are bloody amazing.

Re: Maladjusted

I voted no. These albums are pointless. I don't think any albums should be re-issued, ever, unless they're rare and out of print.

Actually Maladjusted was out of circulation since late 2007.
I'm listening reissue right now, although it has been added rare tracks it could've been better.

I'd agree they would be pointless if they were straight reissues with just a new cover but the liner notes alone make for excellent reading.

I have no problem spending money on a high quality product. The Sound Of The Smiths was seen as another pointless 'Best Of' by some, indeed I didn't bother buying it until it went down in price, but the remaster quality on certain tracks is stunning ('This Charming Man' sounds amazing now!). If you've only ever heard The Smiths on CD then this remaster album is worth buying!

A second CD of bonus material - live versions, studio outtakes etc... Plus some decent liner notes - not just Morrissey, but the producer and others as well.

Then I'd get interested. But with these new re-issues... well I forgot to order them until Monday... that's how excited I was about them... still not arrived yet... not losing any sleep over them.

Dave

great idea and a very well executed poll!
I think time has shown that Moz is pretty useless at assessing the quality of his own songs.
brilliant stuff gets relegated to b-sides (Nobody Loves Us plus umpteen other examples) or not even released at all (You Should Have Been Nice, My Dearest Love (very hard to obtain) etc) whereas absolute rubbish frequently gets offered up as a single (Dagenham, That's How People Grow Up, Roy, Fatty etc).
in all fairness, it's probably quite difficult to distinguish the wheat from the (proverbial) chaff when you're so closely involved in the recording process but the trouble with solo Moz is that no-one else contributes to the decision (Marr used to with the Smiths).
anyway, what I'm trunna say is that it's good to let the dust settle and have a re-evaluation.
ditching Roy and adding Lost, The Edges etc has massively improved Maladjusted, so the whole process can only be a good thing (in my humble)...

No.

The new southpaw is the finest looking cd i've ever seen and 2 of the 3 songs are great, which makes for a boss cd, but no more for me.

Seeing as the Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted re-issues have gone down well, even among us cynical bunch,..

Really? Where?

Like most of us (I presume) I find the Maladjusted-reissues to be completely pointless.
I have all the songs already so why buy them again!?

As for the Southpaw-reissue, it's nice to have 3 new songs added to it, but why mess up the order? It's just wrong. Southpaw will always start with Teachers and end with Southpaw.

The way it should be done is remaster the original (disc 1) and add a bonus disc of b-sides, rarities, new songs, whatever. And release them at mid-price.

Then I may be tempted to actually buy them.

Really? Where?

Like most of us (I presume) I find the Maladjusted-reissues to be completely pointless.
I have all the songs already so why buy them again!?

As for the Southpaw-reissue, it's nice to have 3 new songs added to it, but why mess up the order? It's just wrong. Southpaw will always start with Teachers and end with Southpaw.

The way it should be done is remaster the original (disc 1) and add a bonus disc of b-sides, rarities, new songs, whatever. And release them at mid-price.

Then I may be tempted to actually buy them.

We'll call that option 2 for arguments sake :p

My feelings on the whole thing centre more on the care taken over the new discs than perhaps the actual content. It seems Morrissey really wanted people to take another look at these albums, and that shows.
If the re-issues were done with the same amount of care, and not just rushed out I'd be looking forward to them without a doubt.

I don't really agree with the re-issue for the sake of it (take the CD version of Viva Hate, with a new cover and tracks from all over his career randomly thrown on), but when the package looks this good, and is this much of a pleasure to read through and own....gosh, I'm all for it.

And as for the re-ordering issue, I don't have any bones with it. On my iTunes I run the Morrissey releases in RX chronological order and rather than put the 2009 editions next to their original releases, I have them down as Southpaw 2009 and Maladjusted 2009. I see these CDs, not as how they should always have been, but how they should be now.

Last edited:
I say option 2 but keep Moz away. He can add liner notes but we don't need him messing around with the artwork (Mal was horrid and SG pic is from different era, '92). We don't need him removing tracks either. I can't think of any other artists who has re-issued an album and taken stuff off. Has he fallen off his rocker?

sidenote- I was rather disappointed in the fact he didnt edit 'The Teachers...' as its a brilliant song, but the five minute intro is useless.

For me, I wouldn't mind if Morrissey re-issued all of his albums once a month. If there's anything interesting to me, I'll buy, otherwise not. Example: He could re-issue Maladjusted 399 times so long as one of them includes Kit.

I'd quite like to see them having a stab at remastering Vauxhall. Billy Budd in particular was always too quiet.

So I wouldn't mind if there were more re-issues but I'm not crying out for them either. Besides, I can't see any of the EMI albums (up to 'World Of') being re-issued. EMI are totally f***ed & I'd imagine they'd see it as a waste of time.

To all you 're-issue, repackage' moaners by the way, Morrissey is by a distance not the worst culprit for re-issues.

I know it's off topic, but anyone know of any other re-issue merchants? I'm having Pet Shop Boys & REM who've both re-issued their entire back catalogue recently, Elvis Costello has re-issued a load & Van Morrisson brought out three best ofs in a year a few years ago.

Why do you think that? :straightface:

If remastering didn't exist, would you ever play "The Queen Is Dead" or "Your Arsenal" and think, "I wish this sounded a bit more polished...I can't hear the tom-tom right before the middle eight"? Of course not.

To me that's the easiest litmus test. Did you like it the first time around? If so, why buy a new version?

I'll bet 90% of the people who say they prefer remastered discs are just responding to the higher volume. That's it. The old Sire CDs of Morrissey and The Smiths have low playback volume. Vinyl too. Newer CDs sound fuller, crisper, yada yada yada. It's just louder, people! :lbf:

As for liner notes, albums are like X-rated movies. You don't pay to hear talking. :rolleyes:

dear Worm, i do actually think stuff like:
"I wish this sounded a bit more polished...I can't hear the tom-tom right before the middle eight" :eek:
not the 1st couple of times around though :o
but the main reason i like this whole legacy thing is that i really do like Southpaw more now
sure, i probably would even without it being remastered, but maybe not
them saying that they did something different makes it easier for me to be open to changing how i "feel" about it :crazy:
the same may be true for others i think :guitar:

Forgive me, I'm going to go long on my first post. Long time lurker, and all that.

I'm operating under a few assumptions.

1) That Morrissey will hang it up in the coming years
2) That record companies will try to make lots of money off of him when he is gone
3) That I'd rather he leave the set the record on his art, not some suit with dreadful taste

I guess it's also worth noting that Southpaw Grammar is my favorite album, and I think the re-issue is spectacular. I was really happy to see it and Maladjusted redone. The artwork of both albums always smacked of something being out of place. And I've always felt that the big mistake of Maladjusted was that the A-Sides were Bs and the B-Sides were inexplicably relegated to dust bins. I think he got it right this time. I couldn't be happier. Now, to my point. Keep my operating assumptions in mind.

There is no need for the other albums to be reissued, but I'd like Morrissey to take the same approach to some of his back catalogue as he did with Southpaw and Maladjusted. For example, I'd like him to prepare a handful of compilations--with sleeve art and the whole bit--for the Quarry B-Sides, including I'm Playing Easy to Get and Home is a Question Mark (and any other unreleased tracks from that session). Same thing for Ringleader. A 4 track Ep for the Striptease with a Difference songs. An EP of uncollected strays, such as Kit. And so on.

These songs will be released as compilations at some point, by hook or crook, and I'd just prefer he anticipate the crooks and head them off at the pass. He should oversee the projects over the next couple years as part of his closing house activities.

Last edited:
uhh, hello mouthfulofpie
sign0201.gif
you mke some excellent points :thumb:
& i was wondering do you know:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/member.php?u=154
06.gif

forgive for not typing his name, i do not want to set him off :o

Last edited:
Forgive me, I'm going to go long on my first post. Long time lurker, and all that.

I'm operating under a few assumptions.

1) That Morrissey will hang it up in the coming years
2) That record companies will try to make lots of money off of him when he is gone
3) That I'd rather he leave the set the record on his art, not some suit with dreadful taste

I guess it's also worth noting that Southpaw Grammar is my favorite album, and I think the re-issue is spectacular. I was really happy to see it and Maladjusted redone. The artwork of both albums always smacked of something being out of place. And I've always felt that the big mistake of Maladjusted was that the A-Sides were Bs and the B-Sides were inexplicably relegated to dust bins. I think he got it right this time. I couldn't be happier. Now, to my point. Keep my operating assumptions in mind.

There is no need for the other albums to be reissued, but I'd like Morrissey to take the same approach to some of his back catalogue as he did with Southpaw and Maladjusted. For example, I'd like him to prepare a handful of compilations--with sleeve art and the whole bit--for the Quarry B-Sides, including I'm Playing Easy to Get and Home is a Question Mark (and any other unreleased tracks from that session). Same thing for Ringleader. A 4 track Ep for the Striptease with a Difference songs. An EP of uncollected strays, such as Kit. And so on.

These songs will be released as compilations at some point, by hook or crook, and I'd just prefer he anticipate the crooks and head them off at the pass. He should oversee the projects over the next couple years as part of his closing house activities.

Good first post:guitar:
No need to rehash the albums we already have, just get all the unreleased stuff together and place it all on one / double CD.
There may be an issue with different labels being involved, but seeing as these would be unreleased material, are they still 'owned' by record companies?:confused:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom