Leeds - First Direct Arena (Mar. 20, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / Istanbul / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Irish Blood, English Heart / What She Said / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Scandinavia / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / One Of Our Own / Trouble Loves Me / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat is Murder // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist (not in exact order) provided by Irregular Regular.

• Photo by fralph1976 / Instagram. Link posted by docinwestchester. Full set by Frank Ralph (27 photos) - Flickr. Link posted by an anonymous person.

leeds.jpg
  • TTY: Morrissey audience in Leeds, March 20th - Mar. 23, 2015
  • Review by Gary Ryan - NME
  • Review by Ryan Bell (9 / 10 stars) - Fortitude Magazine

Last edited:
If it's all about the new songs, why does he publicise these gigs with 9 year old photos and sprinkle in Smith's karaoke? Because if it was billed as 'Morrissey presents "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" NB: No songs before his solo career will be played, then half the audience would stay at home. Perhaps Morrissey might show some 'respect' to his new music by bothering to soundcheck properly and match his band dynamics to each venue. And get them some guitar lessons if they insist on playing old Smiths songs.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

You are often wrong. That doesn't stop you and I've no doubt you will continue to prosecute your fantasy scripts about Morrissey whilst trying to shout down anyone who differs. He didn't sell out MEN in 2012 and wouldn't now.

best
BB[/QUOT

can you point to a post where I said he sold out the men in 12 or said he would do now? Have you ever admitted being wrong btw?

brummie makes a very pertinent observation, and having poems and videos about gertrude stein is not going to bring the younger crowd in.

Agree, there are 6 of us heading down from Manc mid afternoon, probably by train so we can have a nice early evening session on the lash and not have to worry about driving back the day after. Have standing tickets so should be a good atmosphere.

Brummie, it's clear you like to diss everything Morrissey but I can assure you when I tried to book standing in Leeds, there were non available, you may be right. The NIA is the same, last week there were no standing available, I know as another mate wanted to attend, guess what now there are some available and he managed to get one this morning?

On the scenes thing, i have no idea, actually I can't recollect ever seeing him with screens. Saw New Order at Jodrell Bank in 13 they had screens and used them to great effect

Here is a pic of Leeds from the stage when James played, gives an indication of the more standing layout, school down to the Leeds shot

http://www.wearejames.com/blog/

You're wrong. I think WPINOYB is some of his finest work, as it placed his voice in a genuinely collaborative mix instead of droning on endlessly in the forefront. However, as well as enjoying lots of his work, I find his a fascinating and ludicrious character. That's why I'm here to comment. He is emblematic of the car crash life that is 'almost famous'.

There are currently 47 floor tickets on Stubhub and more on other reseller sites including 'GetMeIn' which is a Ticketmaster site. Prices will plummet as the gig approaches.

Morrissey_Birmingham_Tickets_-_Morrissey_The_Barclaycard_Arena_Birmingham_27_3_2015_on_StubHub!_.png

Promoters try to manufacture what economists call 'artificial scarcity' by claiming floor standing is sold out in minutes and then directly early bird 'fans' to the crap seats at the back. That leaves them with the best seats and more standing tickets to hopefully sell at rip-off prices closer to the event if it's a genuinely 'hot' ticket. Morrissey is NOT a 'hot' ticket. Has Morrissey EVER issued a fan pre-sale code for priority tickets on TTY?

This economics of gigs interests me. If Morrissey had insisted on playing Cardiff, Dublin and Belfast on a weekend at £45 top price he'd have sold out. If he doesn't care if only rich folk can now afford to see him and that 'market forces' dictate everything then he's just another cog in the capitalist machine. It wouldn't surprise me if he checks resale sites as assiduously as he used to check singles and LP charts. No matter what the promoters try and butter him up with, he must know he is not selling out, not selling fast and those empty rows of seats are attributable to miscalculating his pulling power. In other words, greed.

best
BB

If it's all about the new songs, why does he publicise these gigs with 9 year old photos and sprinkle in Smith's karaoke? Because if it was billed as 'Morrissey presents "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" NB: No songs before his solo career will be played, then half the audience would stay at home. Perhaps Morrissey might show some 'respect' to his new music by bothering to soundcheck properly and match his band dynamics to each venue. And get them some guitar lessons if they insist on playing old Smiths songs.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

You are often wrong. That doesn't stop you and I've no doubt you will continue to prosecute your fantasy scripts about Morrissey whilst trying to shout down anyone who differs. He didn't sell out MEN in 2012 and wouldn't now.

best
BB[/QUOT

can you point to a post where I said he sold out the men in 12 or said he would do now? Have you ever admitted being wrong btw?

Can somebody help Surface figure out how to quote in his replies. You said he played the MEN in 2014. Clearly, you are not a reliable source of information. Enjoy Brum!

best
BB

brummie makes a very pertinent observation, and having poems and videos about gertrude stein is not going to bring the younger crowd in.

Is there a programme on sale? He could rake in a few quid with a nicely laid out programme that gave some context and explanation for his random collage of influences.

I have no idea what his interest in Getrude Stein is, other than to add to his spurious claims to be an intellectual or to understand intellectual giants. When you add in his random use of 'signifiers' such as Sir Tom Jones, Sir Cliff Richard and Steve Strange without any context or explanation, it just appears a mess, no different to any other blog/Pinterest cultural curation. That's all he's ever done, magpie nick various obscure or 'hip' images/poems/music and present his taste as somehow radical or remarkable. It's no more interesting than lots of other Spotify or YouTube playlists and without any framework to explain his choices it must just be a baffling barrage to any newbies. I guess TTY is his blog and his warm-up videos are his YouTube/Pinterest/Spotify playlists. Why doesn't he just publish them on those platforms with some plausible reasons for his choices? Oh, he's 'mysterious'? LOL!

I've read that he's using 'Wanting To Do' by Anne Sexton as part of his 'warm-up'. If so, he's still flirting with pseudo-suicidalism even as he enlists the best private medical care on the planet to monitor his cancer scare. Makes total sense. Or he's trying to suggest he's got 'remember me but forget my fate' cancer and is considering the 'coward's way out'? Who knows. Or cares. Most people just chat and txt through that stuff as I recall, so unless he's prepared to provide some commentary it's just images and noise. As I say, I'm surprised he isn't selling a programme. The Kate Bush programme was £15 and full of her perspectives and explanations for how and why she staged 'Before The Dawn'. But that's another league altogether.

best
BB

Went to the show last night, my second ever concert, was very happy until the video backdrop of the animals being abused, I must admit that even though we all know this sort of stuff goes on sadly we shouldn't be forced to watch what we all know happens. This ruined the night for me I had to leave early due to feeling physically sick. what does it do?, is it going to stop people eating meat due to seeing the cruelty ? I don't think so, I don't eat meat myself but that's a lifestyle choice I chose to make, don't force your fans to watch this I don't think it's needed.

I wonder how many fans would attend a concert if forced to watch a six minute partial birth abortion video. And also listen to a song with the lyrics abortion is murder. I am sure there are many artists who have strong pro-life views. Fortunately they don't feel the need to add prophesizing to the performance.

Great gig, not been to see him for 4 years so it was nice to see him looking really well and singing brilliantly. He seemed in great spirits and interacted well with the crowd, he mentioned he'd been driving around Harrogate and saw youngesters with dead cats in their hair or something, made me laugh anyway.

Also managed to grab his shirt but the stand off was immense, I let it go after a few seconds, I'm sure I could smell his aftershave on my hands though. So not all bad.

Trouble Loves Me, Stop Me and Crashing Bores were highlights.

He's still the Mozfather. I'll always love him

So glad you had a great time! :clap:

First of all that poem isn't ABOUT Gertrude Stein and secondly I'm 16 and loved the reading of Matisse. Actually even Morrissey himself isn't assumed to be the kind of music an averege teenager of today would enjoy and be mad about (well, in the eyes of the general public of course) and yet there are so many young people at his shows, it's beyond remarkable. Morrissey once said that young people are often to easily dismissed and I agree completely. Morrissey's music is timeless and for everyone. It is enjoyed by all generations. And I think it was always his aim since the beginning of the Smiths and I think it was pretty clever and I believe it's one of the reasons I don't enjoy Johnny Marr that much (even though I really want to). He is stuck in these 'Indie' circles which doesn't lead you anywere. (And now I'm waiting to be dismissed by much older people who are around 'since day one')

I wonder how many fans would attend a concert if forced to watch a six minute partial birth abortion video. And also listen to a song with the lyrics abortion is murder. I am sure there are many artists who have strong pro-life views. Fortunately they don't feel the need to add prophesizing to the performance.

Meat is the result of killing a living, breathing creature with feelings and emotions.

Abortion is the termination of a cluster of cells with no emotions or pain receptors.

I'm worried about a young lady. She had red hair with a blue flower fastened on the right-hand side of her head. She was near the front and looked frightened, biting her finger nails, wide eyes that seemed incapable of blinking............ she also got excited by the death of the Iron Lady. By the time World Peace is None of Your Business came on; she was in floods of tears. Heaven knows why but she stormed off and never came back. If she reads these pages; I hope she is alright. I just hope the moderator lets this message get across.
Godspeed.

I'm worried about a young lady. She had red hair with a blue flower fastened on the right-hand side of her head. She was near the front and looked frightened, biting her finger nails, wide eyes that seemed incapable of blinking............ she also got excited by the death of the Iron Lady. By the time World Peace is None of Your Business came on; she was in floods of tears. Heaven knows why but she stormed off and never came back. If she reads these pages; I hope she is alright. I just hope the moderator lets this message get across.
Godspeed.

She probably was just emotional- maybe her first time

Couple of cute girls at the barriers last night.

Meat is the result of killing a living, breathing creature with feelings and emotions.

Abortion is the termination of a cluster of cells with no emotions or pain receptors.

Pfft. That is what you need to tell yourself in order to cope with the cognitive dissonance.

Would you sit through this gig after gig?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thats not quite the point, you were once just a cluster of cells with no emotion or pain receptors, you were still just at the start of life it's still murder.

Pfft. That is what you need to tell yourself in order to cope with the cognitive dissonance.

Would you sit through this gig after gig?

What a surprise you are an anti-choice person.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what I don't understand about you Brummie? Sometimes you can engage in quite coridial conversation on here and then all of a sudden you become this god awful bile spewing individual.

This is SO true. And the pity is that the cordial conversation can be taken seriously and might make people
think but is ruined by the nonsense bile.

BB I have the impression it would be impossible for Morrissey to satisfy your expectations.

It's pathetic the way you and Benny, faced with a well attended and by all accounts enjoyable show, try to wring and
twist a negative story out of a few facts. Look !!! Black curtains !!!! Pathetic.

Find some new music you like. Find an artist who fulfils all your expectations. Are there any ?
Why not spread some positivity instead of the negative nonsense you post here.

good eye benny. they had them packed like sardines in the front but thats because they closed off half the venue. show sold poorly

Oh god how pathetic. Benny is replying to his own posts AGAIN !!!!

Godspeed.

Perhaps she is agoraphobic but struggled to attend the show only to find it was overwhelming? Maybe the crowd triggered a panic attack?

best
BB

For anyone interested the admiral bar in glasgow has a after gig event tnite, morrissey/ smiths music from 11pm till 3am, £5 entry, good little bar , they hold morrissey/ smiths nights regularly

First of all that poem isn't ABOUT Gertrude Stein and secondly I'm 16 and loved the reading of Matisse. Actually even Morrissey himself isn't assumed to be the kind of music an averege teenager of today would enjoy and be mad about (well, in the eyes of the general public of course) and yet there are so many young people at his shows, it's beyond remarkable. Morrissey once said that young people are often to easily dismissed and I agree completely. Morrissey's music is timeless and for everyone. It is enjoyed by all generations. And I think it was always his aim since the beginning of the Smiths and I think it was pretty clever and I believe it's one of the reasons I don't enjoy Johnny Marr that much (even though I really want to). He is stuck in these 'Indie' circles which doesn't lead you anywere. (And now I'm waiting to be dismissed by much older people who are around 'since day one')

you started out being 17, a few posts from now you will end up being 12.
who are you kidding?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom