Leeds - First Direct Arena (Feb. 24, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / Suedehead / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / Home Is A Question Mark / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Jack The Ripper / Back On The Chain Gang / I Bury The Living / When You Open Your Legs / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Hold On To Your Friends / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures. Surely it can't be denied that people turned out in force to witness a force of nature. To view such an audience brings me back to the days when I saw him live and I can't help but be jealous. Rather than quibble over the set list let's give him the slightest credit for maintaining an audience over so many years of refusal to bow to the desires for a greatest hits tour.

I am squarely in the midst of those wanting more of the past, but in an internet world where anything we want is seconds away he stays true to himself, and whether you want the songs that you can't have there is still the incredible joy of watching the man live singing the songs that mean the most to him.

After all, for me at least, it is not the songs he sung that remain with me, but just seeing him in person remembering a smile or turn of phrase that made me felt included in his world, the one that he created himself....from nothing. To still be carrying on even now after all these years is a true feet, miracle, and blessing. Hopefully there will be many years to come.

It's definately a blessing and at least Morrissey has got the balls to go to places like Leeds (and the Liverpool Arena previously) which says a lot, when you know these places...
Jealous ? Don't be. Go and get yourself a ticket and go and enjoy the show !!!

Hazard
x

Oh and not singing panic in leeds is a travesty!

Respectfully, Panic in Leeds, is like having a chip-butty thrown at you before fist(s) start flying. Which they do, usually, on the way back to Headingley.

Hazard
x

I thought Morrissey and the band were brilliant in leeds, but like most people have said on here the crowd had too many undesirables tanked up lager causing problems. Morrissey has always managed to somehow attract both the introspective indie kids and the lairy football lads to his shows and unfortunately latter were particularly volatile this evening.

Morrissey himself was utterly brilliant, his voice sounds really on top form and he had a lot of bite to his performance which mixed theatrics and sincerity in an entertaining way. The band were also tight.

I really liked Low in high school so I enjoyed the set, but I think that album hasn't clicked with everybody and I think quite a few of the crowd were expecting Smiths songs and the classics. You can't please everybody.

It's definately a blessing and at least Morrissey has got the balls to go to places like Leeds (and the Liverpool Arena previously) which says a lot, when you know these places...
Jealous ? Don't be. Go and get yourself a ticket and go and enjoy the show !!!

Hazard
x

Thank you for your post. I wish I could muster the desire again like I had when I was young. The recent set lists leave me in a state of inertia. I fear being truly disappointed by attending a concert of his new music that I simply do not enjoy would ruin the memories. Just me of course. Not a call out to others who like the newer stuff. In some ways I want to protect my memories of him and his music and what it meant to me wayyyy back when. I would hold my breath if I thought for a second that he he might ever choose to do a little spring cleaning and dust off the hits, and then I would return in a second. I am a realist at heart though and so that would seem a precarious decision given his nature. Miserabilist at heart I guess.

Still I am here ever observant and interested in others views on the here and now. If not the present, then what? Looking back and looking ahead is time better well spent on the present. I am guilty of this sin as are many I am sure.

Oh dear Leeds (some of you). Drunkenness = good, fighting = bad. The two aren't inseperable.

The Munich song didn’t go down well with some of the Leeds Louts last night due to their hatred of Man Utd. That set the tone for more lairyness.

“f*** off” was being shouted during that song. Leeds Leeds Leeds another. Eat some f***ing Meat was another.

Some people just go to gigs to say they have been. I’m not sure they have any love for the artist at all. They expect a setlist or Smiths songs.

Personally I thought Morrissey was in good voice, the set arrangement wasn’t the best and there were one or two songs too many from the new album.

Highlights for me were “who will protect us from the police” “hold on to your friends” and “Jack the Ripper”

Better than the last Leeds gig he did but nowhere near the energy and sets of tours gone by. Oh for 2001 again.....

A little aside. Boz came to where I was sat to say hello and collect something from a friend, he was wearing a flasher mac type of coat and a wolly hat. And yes I probably should of taken a photo coulda ,shoulda , wouldn't.

Unfortunately there were man united thugs who specifically went to leeds to fight. it seemed crazy to have a gig on when leeds were at home knowing there would be lots of Mancs travelling over. The Munich air disaster song seemed to trigger it and the security were helpless.

For me this was one of the better more recent Morrissey gigs I’ve been to. f*** off was it empty. It was rammed. Getting sick of the detractors posting pre gig empty arena shots. I agree the crowd knew virtually none of the songs. Hell I heard one guy behind me saying to his bird ‘f*** me this guy in front of us here knows every song!’ Of course I do I’m into his music! The other guy stood at side of me kept tutting cos I knocked him a couple of times and he nearly spilt his beer. I maybe shouldn’t have but in the end I had to say to him’ what’s up mate? Spilt yer beer? I suggest you f*** off and sit down!’ If these people who don’t know the music and don’t intend ‘getting into ‘ the gig just get a seat instead of a standing ticket the standing crowd would be a lot better. Rant over viva Morrissey it was a great gig

Anyone know what happened in if you don’t like me? Moz came over stage right and stayed there looking over to stage left. Fluffed lines and looked a bit upset?? Lad at the hotel said it was because security were far too heavy handed with someone stage left that’d tried to get a handshake?

I’ve got a vid of him clearly getting a bit choked up about something but think the file is too big for on here...

Anyone know what happened in if you don’t like me? Moz came over stage right and stayed there looking over to stage left. Fluffed lines and looked a bit upset?? Lad at the hotel said it was because security were far too heavy handed with someone stage left that’d tried to get a handshake?

I’ve got a vid of him clearly getting a bit choked up about something but think the file is too big for on here...

I saw this and was confused too.
Didnt realisr it was anything to do with security but it wouldnt suprise me, the look of nastiness from the guard on right when people went over was enough to put me off.

I saw this and was confused too.
Didnt realisr it was anything to do with security but it wouldnt suprise me, the look of nastiness from the guard on right when people went over was enough to put me off.

I haven’t a clue mate, just came out of nowhere then after the song he carried on as normal. He did say “that was the heavy metal version of it you don’t like me, you can imagine it’s quite good on the recording” as if to acknowledge that something had distracted him.

Think security had a tough job last night in fairness, kick offs before the vids had even played and some 17 stone + blokes with no regard for anyone else. Guard on the right seemed to be on a mission though.

okay here is my whistle-review of the gig. Venue in Leeds is as always excellent, the standing was full tocapacity, the seating was not, around 94% full for those who care!

In terms of pre-show silliness, there was a tad, barging, arguing to stage right 7-10 people deep. It was started by a man who smelt like he was from the 1850s, by which I mean he must've been dug up then and wheeled out before the show. That man lasted until Jackie, when during the exit recitals, he was dragged over the barrier by security. Literally EXIT!

The set list was as expected, the crowd was fun at points, but it has to be the most relaxed crowd I've seen since the Nottingham opener in 2015 for world peace tour. The show was very similar structure and pacing to those gigs which is fine with me because I like all the new songs (mostly).

Compared to other gigs, it was better and voice was better than the last 2015 Leeds arena show, and not as good as the 2012 gig in the academy just after Glastonbury performance. All in all, a very enjoyable night and hoping for more down in Brixton X

fighting on the concourse between leeds and man united fans, one lad kicked unconscious on the floor. Very sad to see football violence attaching itself to Morrissey

Gee, I wonder why?

I mean, what could cause such an unexpected attraction to a pop singer who many of them have typically thought of as a silly queer?

The mystery goes unsolved.

I didn’t see one fight.
Everyone around me was great, about 8 deep.
No one knew the words to the new songs.
Every other song went down very well, particularly I started something, Jack the Ripper and suedehead.
Thought Moz was annoyed at the band during if you don’t like me.
Made it over the barrier during IBEH and got an handshake.

For me all it comes down to is age, you can’t go back 25 years and expect Moz to whip up a crowd like he once did. His performance was still great.

Security were very busy last night! They did a stirling job! Too many drunks down the front. At least 3 were ejected close to me. One of whom started hitting an innocent guy with glasses before throwing beer in his face! This was before Moz graced the stage! I'm also always amazed at how some males treat/speak to women at these gigs. Some have very little regard for them let alone respect. Idiots aside it was a stunning gig! My 18th Moz gig and he just gets better and better!

Does anybody know the songs that were played before Morrissey came on. I know there was God Save the Queen but there was an 80’s song that I liked and recognised but can’t remember the name off.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom