Least-Favourite Moz/Smiths Tracks

"Golden Lights" and "Work is a four-letter word", obviously. For Morrissey's solo stuff, I'll go with "Tony the Pony", among several others.

cheers

What the f***? Shakespeare's Sister is one of the greatest Smiths songs of all time. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side also is.

Stretch Out and Wait???

I'd give you Unloveable, I Don't Owe You Anything, Death At One's Elbow at a push and obviously Golden Shite and Wank Is A four Letter Word but seriously your choices render your opinions useless

I Don't Owe You Anything?!!

Just shows people are different.

Mmm.....I'm going to discount covers because they don't really count if you ask me. I'm a bit shocked by some of these choices. Unlovable is possibly the best song ever written, and Boy with thorn, Shakespeare and Stretch out are all unquestionably masterpieces.

My least favourite:

You just haven't earned it yet baby
Sweet and tender hooligan
Sorrow will come in the end
Black eyed Susan
My dearest love
Found found found
Born to hang
King Leer

That's about it, really.

Let's start when things starting going down hill...

Viva Hate 1988 - Bengali in Platforms, Little Man, What Now?, Alsatian Cousin, Late Night, Maudlin Street, Break Up the Family, The Ordinary Boys

Kill Uncle 1991 - Asian Rut, King Leer, Driving your girlfriend home, There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends

Vauxhall And I 1994 -I Am Hated For Loving, Lifeguard sleeping, girl drowning, Used to Be a Sweet Boy, The lazy sunbathers

Southpaw Grammar 1995 - The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils, The Operation, Do Your Best and Don't Worry, Southpaw

Maladjusted 1997 - Maladjusted, Ambitious Outsiders, Papa Jack, Ammunition, Wide to Receive, He Cried, Roy's Keen

You Are the Quarry 2004 - All the Lazy Dykes, You Know I Couldn't Last

Ringleader of the Tormentors 2006 - I Will See You in Far-Off Places, Dear God Please Help Me, You Have Killed Me, The Youngest Was the Most Loved, In the Future When All's Well, The Father Who Must Be Killed, I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now, On the Streets I Ran, To Me You Are a Work of Art, At Last I Am Born

Years Of Refusal 2009 - All except "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris"

...You probably think, why am I a Morrissey fan? At least Bona Drag and Your Arsenal aren't there though! That's a start, at least! I know I like at least 14 "Sword songs" and I know many B-sides and demos I like!
Plus there is no Smiths song I hate...

Last edited by a moderator:

Viva Hate 1988 - Bengali in Platforms, Little Man, What Now?, Alsatian Cousin, Late Night, Maudlin Street, Break Up the Family, The Ordinary Boys

Kill Uncle 1991 - Asian Rut, King Leer, Driving your girlfriend home, There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends

Vauxhall And I 1994 -I Am Hated For Loving, Lifeguard sleeping, girl drowning, Used to Be a Sweet Boy, The lazy sunbathers

Southpaw Grammar 1995 - The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils, The Operation, Do Your Best and Don't Worry, Southpaw

Maladjusted 1997 - Maladjusted, Ambitious Outsiders, Papa Jack, Ammunition, Wide to Receive, He Cried, Roy's Keen

Ringleader of the Tormentors 2006 - I Will See You in Far-Off Places, Dear God Please Help Me, You Have Killed Me, The Youngest Was the Most Loved, In the Future When All's Well, The Father Who Must Be Killed, I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now, On the Streets I Ran, To Me You Are a Work of Art, At Last I Am Born

...You probably think, why am I a Morrissey fan? At least Bona Drag and Your Arsenal aren't there though! That's a start, at least! I know I like at least 14 "Sword songs" and I know many B-sides and demos I like!
Plus there is no Smiths song I hate...

Blimey! Viva Hate, indeed. You really do hate Morrissey, don't you? :confused:

That would have been a pretty good list if you had set out to name the highlights of Morrissey's solo career....

For instance, you've included almost all of the few decent songs on KU, two of the three good songs on ROTT, his best ever song (Maldajusted), 3 of the 5 good songs on Southpaw, some of the best songs he ever recorded on VAI, his second-best ever song (Maudlin Street) and excepted only arguably the weakest track on YOR. That's subjectivity for you. :)

cheers

Blimey! Viva Hate, indeed. You really do hate Morrissey, don't you? :confused:

Not really, just the untalented musicians that don't come up with any good guitar riffs, "Maladjusted" sounded mostly the same with me and I dislike all the music to "Ringleader of the Tormentors", as there's nothing to remember throughout the album except for 2 songs.
Johnny Marr is a good guitarist with good riffs in his head, that's why I like The Smiths I suppose...

Not really, just the untalented musicians that don't come up with any good guitar riffs, "Maladjusted" sounded mostly the same with me and I dislike all the music to "Ringleader of the Tormentors", as there's nothing to remember throughout the album except for 2 songs.

I hardly ever play ROTT,that explosive kegs line,bad move Moz

Okay, if we're excepting the Smiths' cover versions, then I'm going for the instrumentals. All three of them. Not that they're awful or anything, they're just fairly irrelevant. I cannot think of any Smiths song with vocals and written by Marr/Morrissey that I would call less than great in any other than a relative (to other Smiths songs) sense.

cheers

Not really, just the untalented musicians that don't come up with any good guitar riffs......
Johnny Marr is a good guitarist with good riffs in his head, that's why I like The Smiths I suppose...

Er, Vini Reilly wasn't a talented musician?

cheers

cheers

Of cause he is...purely with The Durutti Column.
He was early Morrissey and that was the best time for Morrissey solo-wise anyway, Suedehead for example :)

cheers

On the other hand, he didn't compose any of the songs on Viva Hate. Or did he? :)

Okay, if we're excepting the Smiths' cover versions, then I'm going for the instrumentals. All three of them. Not that they're awful or anything, they're just fairly irrelevant. I cannot think of any Smiths song with vocals and written by Marr/Morrissey that I would call less than great in any other than a relative (to other Smiths songs) sense.

cheers

Totally agree. i wasn't really counting the instrumentals either. A Smiths song with no Morrissey isn't a Smiths song atall. :thumb:

Totally agree. i wasn't really counting the instrumentals either. A Smiths song with no Morrissey isn't a Smiths song atall. :thumb:

Define a Smiths song then :confused:
It's Johnny Marr's band anyway, so it's actually equal to any other Smiths song.
How can you not like "The Draize Train"?

Of cause he is...purely with The Durutti Column.
He was early Morrissey and that was the best time for Morrissey solo-wise anyway, Suedehead for example

Well then why do you list half of Viva Hate as among Morrissey's worst work due to a lack of talented musicians who couldn't come up with good riffs? ;)

On the other hand, he didn't compose any of the songs on Viva Hate. Or did he?

No, but I'm sure he came up with quite a few of the riffs....

It's Johnny Marr's band anyway

No it isn't. Although I agree with you it's a "real" Smiths song as much as any other. In principle, if not in interest.

I do like "The Draize Train". Just not nearly as much as anything Marr wrote for the Smiths that has vocals on it.

cheers

Define a Smiths song then :confused:
It's Johnny Marr's band anyway, so it's actually equal to any other Smiths song.

Well, I do like them all. I was actually excluding them from the process. My opinion is that it was Morrissey's band and they are his songs (apart from the instrumentals, although he probably named them). You are under no obligation to agree with me.

Tags
bad taste wrong opinions yawn
Back
Top Bottom