Lawrence, KS - Liberty Hall (May 20, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Speedway / Ganglord / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Bullfighter Dies / Hand In Glove / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / Life Is A Pigsty / Trouble Loves Me / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Yes, I Am Blind / Meat Is Murder / The National Front Disco // Asleep / First Of The Gang To Die

set list provided by Ryan. and also setlist.fm, link posted by Chip

Last edited:
Yes, Moz did start the show by saying "you can do whatever you want to me, but don't send me back to Lincoln, Nebraska."

Liberty Hall is a very small venue and I noticed a lot of people saying that it was the smallest venue they've ever seen Morrissey in. I was pleased with the intimacy of the show despite not getting the barrier, although I had been waiting in line for eight hours and thought I would surely get it. (There had been a group people following Morrissey throughout the tour that arrived at 5 AM (!!!) who claimed most of the barrier, and, as I said, the venue was tiny so there wasn't much barrier to be had.) The concert also didn't sell out, which really shocked me. But the crowd was wonderful, just as you'd expect from an audience of Morrissey fans.

I was surprised he started the show off with ODGWBF because I knew he had been playing that as an encore in other shows. The encore was Asleep followed by First Of The Gang To Die, which was perfect. The setlist was somewhat different than the other shows of the tour, and although I wish he would've played a few more songs, I was happy to see him switching it up for us.

During The Youngest Was The Most Loved, Morrissey held my fingertips and did a somewhat awkward, miniature handshake at "a blush, it rose, if he had to say hello." I was thrilled, and still am!

I noticed he had been unzipping his shirt more and more throughout the night so I figured it would eventually be coming off. At the end of the show he tossed it out to the crowd and everyone went absolutely crazy. There was this massive dog pile of people fighting over tiny pieces of the shirt. After a few minutes of wrestling, security started tearing people away from each other and made us all go home.

Security was super intense the whole evening. We weren't allowed to bring in any cameras, purses or backpacks and we were all patted down upon entry. They said that if anyone took pictures with their cellphones, the phones would be confiscated. There was a row of 5 or 6 security guards at the barrier, and for how small the venue was, it was definitely overkill. But no one was able to run up on stage, so at least we avoided the whole 'stage invader knocks down Morrissey and ruins the show' ordeal. And I was able to sneak a few blurry pictures of Morrissey during the encore without having my phone taken away.

This was my first ever Morrissey show and I can't be happier with how it went. Thank you, Morrissey, for giving me one of the most special nights of my life. :)

dodgers1970 - i can see you've never been to kansas... you may remember Moz mentioning his show there on the "Maladjusted" tour was one of his favorites, as was Kansas City on the ROTT tour... Lawrence, KS is one of the most vibrant college towns in the US, with a great local scene and a ton of passionate, rabid (and infrequently fed) live music fans - when Kansans get a chance to see an iconic act like Morrissey, they go crazy... always a great audience to be found there...

Yes, Moz did start the show by saying "you can do whatever you want to me, but don't send me back to Lincoln, Nebraska."

Liberty Hall is a very small venue and I noticed a lot of people saying that it was the smallest venue they've ever seen Morrissey in. I was pleased with the intimacy of the show despite not getting the barrier, although I had been waiting in line for eight hours and thought I would surely get it. (There had been a group people following Morrissey throughout the tour that arrived at 5 AM (!!!) who claimed most of the barrier, and, as I said, the venue was tiny so there wasn't much barrier to be had.) The concert also didn't sell out, which really shocked me. But the crowd was wonderful, just as you'd expect from an audience of Morrissey fans.

I was surprised he started the show off with ODGWBF because I knew he had been playing that as an encore in other shows. The encore was Asleep followed by First Of The Gang To Die, which was perfect. The setlist was somewhat different than the other shows of the tour, and although I wish he would've played a few more songs, I was happy to see him switching it up for us.

During The Youngest Was The Most Loved, Morrissey held my fingertips and did a somewhat awkward, miniature handshake at "a blush, it rose, if he had to say hello." I was thrilled, and still am!

I noticed he had been unzipping his shirt more and more throughout the night so I figured it would eventually be coming off. At the end of the show he tossed it out to the crowd and everyone went absolutely crazy. There was this massive dog pile of people fighting over tiny pieces of the shirt. After a few minutes of wrestling, security started tearing people away from each other and made us all go home.

Security was super intense the whole evening. We weren't allowed to bring in any cameras, purses or backpacks and we were all patted down upon entry. They said that if anyone took pictures with their cellphones, the phones would be confiscated. There was a row of 5 or 6 security guards at the barrier, and for how small the venue was, it was definitely overkill. But no one was able to run up on stage, so at least we avoided the whole 'stage invader knocks down Morrissey and ruins the show' ordeal. And I was able to sneak a few blurry pictures of Morrissey during the encore without having my phone taken away.

This was my first ever Morrissey show and I can't be happier with how it went. Thank you, Morrissey, for giving me one of the most special nights of my life. :)

THank you so much for the review. :flowers:

I wonder if Moz reads these reviews. Someone after the Lincoln show posted "Really starting to think he just actually hates playing ODGWBF." And then he opens with a fierce "One Day..." as if to say, "f*** you, this is MY song and I love it!" Phenomenal show. Only disappointment was would have rather heard "I Have Forgiven Jesus" or "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" instead of "The Youngest..." His voice was, virtually, flawless. Amazing artist. Question: Does anybody know the band/song/video that was played pre-show, right before Chris Andrews' "Yesterday Man"? I thought it was Brian Eno singing for Roxy Music, but I think only Bryan Ferry did their lead vocals. Never heard the song before and I got hooked before it finished. It also preceded "All The Young Dudes."

'Tis "Seven Deadly Finns" by Brian Eno. The video is on YouTube.

I wonder if Moz reads these reviews. Someone after the Lincoln show posted "Really starting to think he just actually hates playing ODGWBF." And then he opens with a fierce "One Day..." as if to say, "f*** you, this is MY song and I love it!" Phenomenal show. Only disappointment was would have rather heard "I Have Forgiven Jesus" or "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" instead of "The Youngest..." His voice was, virtually, flawless. Amazing artist. Question: Does anybody know the band/song/video that was played pre-show, right before Chris Andrews' "Yesterday Man"? I thought it was Brian Eno singing for Roxy Music, but I think only Bryan Ferry did their lead vocals. Never heard the song before and I got hooked before it finished. It also preceded "All The Young Dudes."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaLrS0WG7Z0

Lawrence is truly a mini version of Austin. On the main strip where Moz played, there are at least 25 local hipster restaurants, 20 bars, and 8 music venues. Westport in KCMO is much more corporate with shittier venues and bars, same with downtown KC. And Lawrence is actually safe to walk around in after midnight. Plus, William Burroughs chose to spend his last years there, so it can't be all bad. I would say Lawrence is the "coolest/indie/artsy" place for about 400 miles in any direction.

The show last night was incredible. The post regarding the Lawrence show being Moz's make-up sex was spot on. My first show, couldn't have asked for more.

Great to see The Youngest Was The Most Loved played- one of Morrissey's finest song to emerge from his 21st century revival. Looks to be a good setlist (not dissimilar to his other recent set-lists but we'll pardon him) and Istanbul is a superb track both lyrically and musically. Morrissey is somewhere near his best once again.

f*** Lincoln, Nebraska. They did -absolutely- nothing wrong and it was a tragically comical, absurd misunderstanding, which makes it all the more hilarious to me. But it's Nebraska, so who f***ing cares.

I've been a fan here since Hand In Glove was released, since the day the first record came out, traveled to shows all through the years. f*** Lincoln, NE? f*** you! Suck my balls, Phyllis!

For Pete's sake Lynnda, I usually agree with most of what you say but COME ON! Morrissey has been doing this for THIRTY years! If he hasn't yet figured out how to handle a few morons without penalizing an entire audience then it's something he needs to give some thought to.

Your wasting your time mate, this is 'yes but lynnda', always making excuses and explaining how nobody understands what goes on in Morrisseys cranium, she always likes to lecture us that nobody understands that he's so this and he's so that and we need to wrap him up in cotton wool and bless his cotton socks. Such is her authority on all things Morrissey, some say she's actually his mental health consultant. In a nutshell, if Morrissey decided to become a mass child killer, yes but lynnda would soon be posting the rhyme and reason for it in a thousand and three word posting.

How long was Kirsteen Young's set? Just trying to figure out what time to show up for the Dallas show. lol. :)

How long was Kirsteen Young's set? Just trying to figure out what time to show up for the Dallas show. lol. :)

It's 7 years too long (or however damn long she's been touring with Morrissey)

Tends to be: Doors @7. KY @8. Videos @8:30. Morrissey @9. Done by 10:30.

Well, thank you for the updates which has been appreciated over here in the UK, bar the usual junk (from the usual folks.)

I have to say that I am looking forward to UK shows and the new songs, and the next album. And Sheffield and Stoke and Manchester... Oh YES cannot wait. I missed Santa Ana - even Kevin Cummins was there - but best wishes for the rest of the US tour and beyond.....

Hazard.
Great Brittain

Your wasting your time mate, this is 'yes but lynnda', always making excuses and explaining how nobody understands what goes on in Morrisseys cranium, she always likes to lecture us that nobody understands that he's so this and he's so that and we need to wrap him up in cotton wool and bless his cotton socks. Such is her authority on all things Morrissey, some say she's actually his mental health consultant. In a nutshell, if Morrissey decided to become a mass child killer, yes but lynnda would soon be posting the rhyme and reason for it in a thousand and three word posting.

If you have actually read my posts, you'd see that I have agreed with some of the criticisms of Morrissey that I thought were fair. So, you find no problem with someone shouting out comments when the artist that you paid to see is speaking to the audience? I'm just saying that this kind of behavior is distracting and disheartening to an artist, any artist, not just Morrissey. As for your ridiculous final statement, as a vegan and a parent, I would never condone the murder of children, human or animal. (91 words) Oh wait, f*** off dick head! (97)

lynnda

For Pete's sake Lynnda, I usually agree with most of what you say but COME ON! Morrissey has been doing this for THIRTY years! If he hasn't yet figured out how to handle a few morons without penalizing an entire audience then it's something he needs to give some thought to.

And for thirty years he's had the same temperment. Why would anyone who claims to be a fan interrupt him like that knowing that it could possibly jeapordize the show for everyone? I'm not disagreeing that he could handle these situations more effectively;but I'm just really surprised that there is little criticism for the person who triggered his sour mood by interrupting his story. I look forward to hearing what he says between songs; when I pay to hear Morrissey, I want to hear nim, not someone screaming nonsense from the sidelines.

lynnda

If you have actually read my posts, you'd see that I have agreed with some of the criticisms of Morrissey that I thought were fair. So, you find no problem with someone shouting out comments when the artist that you paid to see is speaking to the audience? I'm just saying that this kind of behavior is distracting and disheartening to an artist, any artist, not just Morrissey. As for your ridiculous final statement, as a vegan and a parent, I would never condone the murder of children, human or animal. (91 words) Oh wait, f*** off dick head! (97)

lynnda

Of course it's problematic, but most of us learn how to appropriately deal with the headaches associated with our chosen professions by the 30 year mark.

It was an amazing show last night in Lawrence. I have waited for 25 years to see the man in concert and he definitely delivered, his voice is in superb condition. I won't rehash all that has been said earlier because it's not necessary, I just want to know one thing. Who was the man off to the side of the stage standing next to the keyboard that looked as if he was ready to pounce at the mere flinching of an audience member. It was clear nobody was getting past the 7-8 security guards on the floor but he was staring people down and getting ready to leap into action anytime anyone even reached for the stage.

And for thirty years he's had the same temperment. Why would anyone who claims to be a fan interrupt him like that knowing that it could possibly jeapordize the show for everyone? I'm not disagreeing that he could handle these situations more effectively;but I'm just really surprised that there is little criticism for the person who triggered his sour mood by interrupting his story. I look forward to hearing what he says between songs; when I pay to hear Morrissey, I want to hear nim, not someone screaming nonsense from the sidelines.

lynnda

I think the premise that you're operating from is false. I don't believe everyone attending a Morrissey show is intimately acquainted with Moz's 'temperament' possibly jeopardizing a show. Outside of his widely reported reputation for being 'miserable' (which is a dumb and lazy label, and I think a lot of people get that), the majority of the audience aren't logging on to fan sites soaking up every available detail like we are. It's doubtful that the bulk of concert-goers are even aware of this pattern, if it can be called that. There are folks who go to shows for one reason only -- they like the music. I couldn't tell you anything about the temperament of anyone in the band I saw three weeks ago, and I own 3 of their 4 LPs.

Having said that, whether or not one is aware of Morrissey's short concert fuse doesn't excuse someone from behaving like an idiot. So yes, the onus should be on them, but Morrissey is the one that removes the onus from the individual and places it on EVERYBODY. I find that careless, especially since he could have long ago established a policy for dealing with dipshits.

Back
Top Bottom