Lausanne - Le Metropole (Oct. 4, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Speedway / Ganglord / Staircase At The University / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / How Soon Is Now? / Reader Meet Author / The Bullfighter Dies / Oboe Concerto / You Have Killed Me / Meat Is Murder / Yes, I Am Blind / Everyday Is Like Sunday / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / What She Said // The Queen Is Dead

setlist provided by Riccardo De Dominicis's / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out Facebook group, link from an anonymous person.

• I'm throwing my arms around Lausanne by David Glaser - Suississimo. Link from David.
  • Morrissey, légende light pour dimanche sage by François Barras - 24heures.ch. Link posted by an anonymous person.
  • Photo posted by terryjak:

lausanne.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't say the Smiths were better than Moz solo. The Smiths were great, but Morrissey's voice developed quite nicely over the years, and he was much less prone to vocal histrionics as time went On.

I discovered Morrissey first and then the Smiths, so I don't have that nostalgia I see in most smiths fans and as much as I love them, there are songs I don't particularly enjoy- such as "death at ones elbow".

Morrissey's voice, on the other hand, improved over the years- so I agree with you.

Morrissey has produced some amazing albums and songs as a solo artist, but in terms of musical invention and consistency, nothing can match the Smiths.
I agree though, that in terms of Morrissey's vocal ability, he has improved hugely since the split. It's a shame we'll never hear Morrissey vocally at the top of his game alongside Marr, but such is life.

Honestly, I wouldn't say the Smiths were better than Moz solo. The Smiths were great, but Morrissey's voice developed quite nicely over the years, and he was much less prone to vocal histrionics as time went on. Tell me you listen to all 52 minutes of shrieking contained within Miserable Lie and love it every time. :D

I would settle for hearing a live show where the lead guitarist hits the notes without awkwardly sliding into them half the time, and doesn't try to hide inadequacies beneath layers of distortion. I would also love to hear Morrissey collaborate with some fresh blood. Established artists, virtual unknowns, who cares as long as it pushes him out of his comfort zone and inspires actual lyrics beyond kissing in your mammy's back yard.

but it's not only about his voice tho. I find most of morrissey's solo music a bit dull and unremarkable tbh (aside from a few songs). Don't get me wrong, his voice and the lyrics are great during his solo career, but when it comes to the music, i find most of it really plain and dull.

I agree, but moz fan's are as proud and arrogant as the man himself and they will never give Johnny aka hi best collaborator ever and the one with whom Moz will go down in history the credit he deserves. Alain was good, and i don't mind Jesse tbh, but lbr most of the smiths fans and the most casual fans wants to see a moz/marr reunion (cue the no Johnny is a flop, moz solo carrer is better than the smiths bs, because we all know tha's a lie)

don't you think its arrogant to say what other peoples real opinions are as if you know. you yourself seem to be what you are describing as a trait that you don't like in others

the music became much more of a frame though still good to me as it moved from quote unquote indie to more traditional pop and rock and the music suits that frame. its the point. could be seen as part of what makes it so much easier to enjoy his improved voice as its not trying to fit awkwardly into the music that wants to take center stage a lot of the time though I think moz still had a bunch to do with musical arrangements or at least more than people traditionally give credit for. not much of mars music after sounds like the smiths in terms of musical arrangements which is strange imo though things like arsenal and Vauxhall do to an extent. both are good approaches and im happy to have both. as to the distortion I think that's what moz wanted as he went through a very rock period that's probably not over and so asked him to play in such a way. im ot a man doesn't conjure waves of distortion to me though and neither does kiss me a lot (I like the horns) personally im looking forward very excitedly to more flamenco as I love that guitar sound to death and want more.

An excellent depiction of the decline in the quality of his musical output over the past decade. The last great ripping tune that he had was Irish Blood, English Heart in 2004 with a writing credit to: Morrissey, and Alain Whyte. This one 2:37 song put Morrissey squarely back on the map after years a drift on the musical sea. When I first saw the video for the song I thought he looked great/well dressed and the music was so strong that I didn't even catch all the lyrics at first. Now it's baggie jeans, shiny v-neck shirts and mariachi music. He is coasting with the remainder of his career in the balance. Say what you want about Alain but he writes a damn good pop song.

You are wrong. Julie In The Weeds, Istanbul, I Will See You In Far Off Places, At Last I Am Born, Something Is Squeezing My Skull, Shame Is The Name, and there are many more... Seriously, are you f***ing crazy?

Honestly, I wouldn't say the Smiths were better than Moz solo. The Smiths were great, but Morrissey's voice developed quite nicely over the years, and he was much less prone to vocal histrionics as time went on. Tell me you listen to all 52 minutes of shrieking contained within Miserable Lie and love it every time. :D

I would settle for hearing a live show where the lead guitarist hits the notes without awkwardly sliding into them half the time, and doesn't try to hide inadequacies beneath layers of distortion. I would also love to hear Morrissey collaborate with some fresh blood. Established artists, virtual unknowns, who cares as long as it pushes him out of his comfort zone and inspires actual lyrics beyond kissing in your mammy's back yard.

mammy's back yard is a good lyric

agree to disagree, i guess

Morrissey has produced some amazing albums and songs as a solo artist, but in terms of musical invention and consistency, nothing can match the Smiths.
I agree though, that in terms of Morrissey's vocal ability, he has improved hugely since the split. It's a shame we'll never hear Morrissey vocally at the top of his game alongside Marr, but such is life.

mfte!!! :thumb:

Love all his lyrics and Morrissey is super f****ing sexy. I had to purchase the Cologne he wears it is sex in a bottle.

'mammy's back yard ' I agree. Strange words from a stranger time plucked. Think... 'Papa Jack'.

What I'd like to know ....Who are the great wordsmiths of our day? I mean the people on this site criticizing ...Who do they think is actually worth comparing M to ?

I still like mammy's back yard. Now just for clarification, the music to Papa Jack is totally solid, the lyrics are well, not his best, BUT! I STILL LIKE THE SONG. I also like Golden Lights. Please don't hate me. Golden Lights is actually brilliant, The Smiths' version and Twinkle's version. But yeah, Papa Jack....is....ummm....not his best...........er.....yeah...but I do still like it...sometimes... I like it more as I get older...but back in 1997, I was like what the f*** is this shit? haha I also didn't like Roy's Keen and Ambitious Outsiders back in the day, but LOVE Ambitious now. Roy's Keen still doesn't really exist to me. ;)

I don't know who they are comparing him to, god help us if it's Bono. Morrissey is the best ever, end of.

'mammy's back yard ' I agree. Strange words from a stranger time plucked. Think... 'Papa Jack'.

What I'd like to know ....Who are the great wordsmiths of our day? I mean the people on this site criticizing ...Who do they think is actually worth comparing M to ?

colin meloy is great though he could be criticized for the same reason people didnt like list of the lost. overwrought etc though some of the problem with his lyrics imo is that they come off sometimes as too objective and not as personally impactful. almost as if he doesnt have the cause hed die for or that tragic empathic feeling of loss that many find in mozs words. more empirically impeccable and maybe not as emotionally moving.n though thats there as well you might say for those who appreciate craftsmanship over emotiveness

I still like mammy's back yard. Now just for clarification, the music to Papa Jack is totally solid, the lyrics are well, not his best, BUT! I STILL LIKE THE SONG. I also like Golden Lights. Please don't hate me. Golden Lights is actually brilliant, The Smiths' version and Twinkle's version. But yeah, Papa Jack....is....ummm....not his best...........er.....yeah...but I do still like it...sometimes... I like it more as I get older...but back in 1997, I was like what the f*** is this shit? haha I also didn't like Roy's Keen and Ambitious Outsiders back in the day, but LOVE Ambitious now. Roy's Keen still doesn't really exist to me. ;)

I don't know who they are comparing him to, god help us if it's Bono. Morrissey is the best ever, end of.

ambitious outsiders is very good. i like to pretend that the title song doesnt exist myself and that the reissued album which has some better songs and a better track flow starts with that song. one of his best in that orch style

Not saying you shouldn't like 'Mammy's back yard'. Why, I've spent many a pleasant afternoons there. What I'm talking about is his use of an 'older language'...A shift in time...a word here,a word there... That goes against the grain of our modern aesthetic sensibilities and expectations.

'Papa Jack' ....
The song sounds like fall...the turning of the leaves into red into gold...the changing of the seasons.. the fall and changes of ones life. Which reminds me.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgvU0YI-Ut8

Oh I see. Got ya. Jesus, that Scott Walker is beautiful. Good shit.

Can you recommend his best album or mix?

Brilliant concert, thank you very much. Didn't expect to hear Hillaire Belloc's name pronounced tonight. Classy to have a gong set up just to have it played one single bang. Mr Boz Boorer was fantastic throughout, especially on How soon is now. The beautiful city of Lausanne hosts a circus with live animals, not a good idea. But Lausanne has also a very romantic dog cemetery, right behind Beau Rivage.

Ooh, what did he say about Hilaire Belloc? I went to Shipley (West Sussex) last year to learn more about him and the countryside he loved so much.

You are wrong. Julie In The Weeds, Istanbul, I Will See You In Far Off Places, At Last I Am Born, Something Is Squeezing My Skull, Shame Is The Name, and there are many more... Seriously, are you f***ing crazy?

This is the issue right here. To call At Last I am Born a tuneful song leaves me shaking my head. The last half of ROTT exposed the first signs of the decline in songwriting capability. Lyrics aside, there is no way these tuneless, charmless, muddled bits of sound can compare to songs like Tomorrow, The More You Ignore Me, Everyday is Like Sunday...all of which received radio airplay with their respective videos in solid rotation on Mtv back when they were a real music station. It always seems to be the militant, Morrissey can do no wrong types that resort to profanity to try and make their point. They used to have polls on this site. It would be interesting to see how many people prefer the first half of his solo career to the latter. I know where I would put my money.

Last edited:
This is the issue right here. To call At Last I am Born a tuneful song leaves me shaking my head. The last half of ROTT exposed the first signs of the decline in songwriting capability. Lyrics aside, there is no way these tuneless, charmless, muddled bits of sound can compare to songs like Tomorrow, The More You Ignore Me, Everyday is Like Sunday...all of which received radio airplay with their respective videos in solid rotation on Mtv back when they were a real music station. It always seems to be the militant, Morrissey can do no wrong types that resort to profanity to try and make their point. They used to have polls on this site. It would be interesting to see how many people prefer the first half of his solo career to the latter. I know where I would put my money.

you could say that about polls but other factors music aside contribute to why people like things, freshness among other things. i love ryan adams but when he releases two albums a year for however long it overwhelms my receptor so to speak and dull the impact which dulls my reception of the music. itd be hard for a simple poll with no interviews or other statistical data to give you a clear picture. also if you describe tuneful as hook filled pop rock then yes you are correct.

you could say that about polls but other factors music aside contribute to why people like things, freshness among other things. i love ryan adams but when he releases two albums a year for however long it overwhelms my receptor so to speak and dull the impact which dulls my reception of the music. itd be hard for a simple poll with no interviews or other statistical data to give you a clear picture. also if you describe tuneful as hook filled pop rock then yes you are correct.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean, and what has been missing in large part from his recent output. I am not saying others are wrong for liking this new direction, but I don't. I keep hoping he will awaken from this mariachi, dirge filled haze and embrace a more upbeat pop/rock influenced sound like he did with YATQ. Production quality arguments aside, I loved that album from start to finish (even the obligatory "I hate the record business" song). I listened to that CD regularly for months, and was the reason why I loved the Who Put the M in Manchester DVD so much because I got to see him perform many of those songs.

From there You Have Killed Me and then flat line. I agree with you that 2 albums a year for a number of years dilutes the feeling one gets when listening to an artist's music, but songs about bullfighters, and kissy face, and cities/countries have pretty much done the same for me. He has to have one brilliant album left in him. He just needs to get musicians that can write music and not just play it.

Well, like, that's just your opinion, man. I like the songs. Everyday Is Like Sunday is boring to me, at this point, but of course it IS beautiful. Keep in mind though, if Morrissey kept making Suedehead over and over, you'd say, "I wish he'd do something....different..." It never ends. Love you, baby.

- - - Updated - - -

My pleasure. There are too many. But some of my favorites that everyone should hear... Albums by title :

'Scott 2 ' (1968)

'Scott 4 ' (1969)

&
Lovely though....MUCH stranger : 'TILT ' (1995)

also from 1978 .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID2kl4uandk

Thank you kindly, will look into it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom