Last of the famous Uruguay cassette

ordinaryboy86

Is anyone in need of this Uruguayan Walkman Mix Cassette. Promo stamped inlay in Spanish "PARA DIFUSIÓN" - Very clean & Very Rare!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have physically held various 'walkman' mix cassettes. They looked dodgy as hell, but quite 'real' and of their time.
From Passions:
Uruguay CMS [EMI 501733-4]
This is one of only two known Morrissey releases made in Uruguay to have made it into the world of Morrissey collectors. The other one is a cassette of "Your Arsenal", a somewhat less unexpected item than this cassette-single. Although the EMI logo is found here and there on the packaging, this is very likely an unlicensed edition. The artwork has nothing to do with the usual artwork. It shows a black and white promotional shot of Morrissey from the Viva Hate era over a yellow and black checkered background, with the words "Walkman Mix" in blue above and below. Morrissey's name over the photo and on the spine appears in the same font as on the usual single artwork. The spine and back are yellow with black text. The back features the track listing and a production credit, including the words "Made In Uruguay". The insert has one extra panel on which the track listing and EMI credits are printed in black over white, under the header "Morrisey (Walkman Mix)" [sic]. Morrissey's name is also misspelled in the EMI credits, and the third title in the track listing is misspelled as "Michael Bones". The cassette is made of white plastic and has peach coloured labels. The generic content (EMI logo, Agadu credit, side number, other credits) appears in the bottom half in red, while everything relevent to this release ("Morrisey" [sic], the track listing, the catalogue number) is printed in the top half in black.
The branding was the same for other 'artists':
s-l300.jpg

(The only time I will post their image ever!).
Regards,
FWD.

Looks fake to me...

No it's real, made of actual plastic and everything. ;) On a serious note, it does look ''Cheesy'' to say the least, I wouldnt know how to discern and official cassette from fan made one, other than having it in my hands and making a calculated guess. It's certainly not an obvious boot like some of the Polish cassettes i've had in the past. The Inlay is isnt cheap paper but more of a thick waxy texture, the cassette itself looks and feels pretty solid, the labels are nice enough and well affixed. I never played it tho, so i have no idea what it sounds like. This particular cassette was used as a promotional tool, i got it from a guy who worked in Uruguayan Radio in the late 80's, he's had it for nearly 30 years, he swears by it and told me a maximum of 250 copies were made, thought admitting that number might be inaccurate as he's never seen another in all that time.

No it's real, made of actual plastic and everything. ;) On a serious note, it does look ''Cheesy'' to say the least, I wouldnt know how to discern and official cassette from fan made one, other than having it in my hands and making a calculated guess. It's certainly not an obvious boot like some of the Polish cassettes i've had in the past. The Inlay is isnt cheap paper but more of a thick waxy texture, the cassette itself looks and feels pretty solid, the labels are nice enough and well affixed. I never played it tho, so i have no idea what it sounds like. This particular cassette was used as a promotional tool, i got it from a guy who worked in Uruguayan Radio in the late 80's, he's had it for nearly 30 years, he swears by it and told me a maximum of 250 copies were made, thought admitting that number might be inaccurate as he's never seen another in all that time.
His name is misspelled all over it. And the song is called "Michael's Bones", not "Michael Bones".

His name is misspelled all over it. And the song is called "Michael's Bones", not "Michael Bones".

Oh, that was Uruguay in those years, my friend! Hehe I'm living there and I bought cassettes all the time for those years in the only big and important store in the country as was "El Palacio de la Música" in Montevideo, owners of "Orfeo" the biggest Record label here.

This series of cassettes were "official" for Uruguay, had artists like: Sting (I have one too), Duran Duran, Morrissey, etc ...
Generally they were in the "Discounted Offers" pool since very few people paid much for cassettes of 2 or 3 songs, and for that reason they were made very few.
For a friend who worked in that store many years ago I can tell you that the print was very small, in the case of vinyl -that had to be ordered outside the country- was 200 copies but in the cassettes he told me that it seems that they were half.

I hope I have cleared any doubts that may have existed.
Greetings from Uruguay!

F.

Oh, that was Uruguay in those years, my friend! Hehe I'm living there and I bought cassettes all the time for those years in the only big and important store in the country as was "El Palacio de la Música" in Montevideo, owners of "Orfeo" the biggest Record label here.

This series of cassettes were "official" for Uruguay, had artists like: Sting (I have one too), Duran Duran, Morrissey, etc ...
Generally they were in the "Discounted Offers" pool since very few people paid much for cassettes of 2 or 3 songs, and for that reason they were made very few.
For a friend who worked in that store many years ago I can tell you that the print was very small, in the case of vinyl -that had to be ordered outside the country- was 200 copies but in the cassettes he told me that it seems that they were half.

I hope I have cleared any doubts that may have existed.
Greetings from Uruguay!

F.
It's a bootleg, dude...

Haha, there is no worse blind than he who does not want to see.
It's okay if you do not want rigor in the pursuit of truth. I was born in Uruguay and I know very well these official editions like any Uruguayan of more than 40 years if you ask him.
In Uruguay you could hardly make cassettes for the costs, less they were going to make bootlegs! And they were not made for the simple obvious reason that there is no market for that!
In the whole country we are only 3 million, in Montevideo 1 million, fans of Morrissey in 1989: 20 people. Draw your own conclusions ;) Greetings

It's a bootleg, dude...

It absolutely isn't a bootleg. If it's been included on Passions Just Like Mine then it's official.
And Ordinaryboy has no reason to lie about its authenticity as there would still be lots of interest in it anyway, plus he really knows his stuff when it comes to collecting Morrissey stuff, as does Famous When Dead.
It's definitely official, I would have loved to have grabbed it.

Back
Top Bottom