Last of the Famous International Playboy's video

I simply meant that following the breakup of The Smiths, Morrissey's lifeline was gone. The very thing he lived for. Street gave him hope for the future. This, after all, is a man who wrote and sang the lines "I've got the twenty-first century breathing down my neck, I must move fast, you understand me..." If you think he was just gonna be cool with hanging out 'til '88 or '89 to do something new then you don't know Moz. When it came to Smiths releases six months was a long time. Remember, M and M always saw themselves as a singles band with an eye on constant output.
Stephen was ousted due to the poor showing of this song. It's well documented. Even though other Street songs were put on releases later he was no longer the guy of choice and it was done callously and Stephen has said so.

Didn't Morrissey mention in Autobiography that after the break up of The Smiths, HE was on the hook for another album? However, I don't recall if that album was Viva Hate or Rank. Anyway, just implying that perhaps there was some pressure on Morrissey to produce something quickly.

Last edited:
Didn't Morrissey mention in Autobiography that after the break up of The Smiths, HE was on the hook for another album? However, I don't recall if that album was Vivia Hate or Rank. Anyway, just implying that perhaps there was some pressure on Morrissey to produce something quickly.

That was my understanding as well

Didn't Morrissey mention in Autobiography that after the break up of The Smiths, HE was on the hook for another album? However, I don't recall if that album was Viva Hate or Rank. Anyway, just implying that perhaps there was some pressure on Morrissey to produce something quickly.

It was Viva Hate on EMI/HMV; Rank was on Rough Trade. I don't know how much he was "on the hook" because if was, so too would have Johnny. Did Johnny just give back his part of the EMI advance (if there was one)? Hard to say.

It was Viva Hate on EMI/HMV; Rank was on Rough Trade. I don't know how much he was "on the hook" because if was, so too would have Johnny. Did Johnny just give back his part of the EMI advance (if there was one)? Hard to say.

Well, that's exactly it ... Morrissey claimed that the record company told him that he is responsible to produce another album. Not Johnny, but him. Of course, he found that extremely unfair (and if it's all true it is). I don't have time to find the quote in the book, but I'm sure others can chime in. Why just Morrissey? Not sure exactly but perhaps since Johnny left the group they still viewed Morrissey as The Smiths?

Last edited:
Well, that's exactly it ... Morrissey claimed that the record company told him that he is responsible to produce another album. Not Johnny, but him. Of course, he found that extremely unfair (and if it's all true it is). I don't have time to find the quote in the book, but I'm sure others can chime in. Why just Morrissey? Not sure exactly but perhaps since Johnny left the group they still viewed Morrissey as The Smiths?

Moz said it multiple times over the years but here are the parts from Autobiography:

"Progress is made in the US, where Strangeways zaps to number 55 – Sire finally slapped from mummification now that the Smiths are stuffed. On a late-night talk show, Lorna Luft (daughter of Judy Garland) is asked about modern music. ‘Well, I’ve heard Girlfriend in a coma,’ she laughs (for, would one not laugh?), and the Smiths finally enter having exited. The Collins English Dictionary furnishes its 1987 edition with Smiths: a Manchester pop group, an entry I read and reread until my eyes weaken. I tear the page out and I post it to Johnny. He does not reply because he is now far away and bleached free of emotional attachment – no solo commitment demanded from Johnny by either Sire or EMI, clever, clever boy. The brain speculates but the heart knows."

"For me, rationale comes from James Maker and Kirsty MacColl, both abiding friends, both level and impartial. Meanwhile, Stephen Street drops off a cassette at my flat of his own compositions – an action timed as if on cue, since EMI are muttering how the hour for a Morrissey disc has arrived. Ever helpful, the Manchester Evening News yelp a two-page spread entitled morrissey was hell to work with says johnny marr. If the quote is fictitious, Johnny does nothing to correct it. Ping-pong."

I’ve no real idea but maybe because Johnny quit he settled all his obligations on the way out. There might have been some penalty that morrissey, who would now be the smiths, wanted to avoid by not fulfilling his contract and they were just pressuring him since he was the only one left. They might have let Johnny off thinking they were gonna get another smiths album if he just made a quick exit and was replaced and when hey realized that wasn’t gonna happen held on to morrissey more firmly. Who knows. Probably better to ask Johnny on twitter than to wait for an answer from morrissey

Thanks for supplying the quotes ... couple more quotes from Autobiography (guess I did have time to look it up :)), to back up my "on the hook" comment.

"I have awoken to writs from both Sire and EMI telling me that I am, in legal piffle, their artist, and that I am legally bound to fulfill what are known as ‘the Smiths contracts’."

"Sire and EMI both threaten me with legal action should I refuse to supply an album in order to mop up the Smiths’ liabilities."

Now what he didn't mention is the deadline he was under. But clearly, he had to produce something post-Strangeways. So I agree with the idea that Stephen Street was a sort of savior by presenting Morrissey some awesome music at a time when he desperately needed it.

Last edited:
Nope, Street was gone as soon as he laid that injunction. They never worked together again. FACT. Journalists Who Lie was also a Morrissey/Street composition so going by your logic they continued to work together after Ouija Board??? No of course they didn't, the reality was Morrissey had stockpile of Street tunes that he put lyrics to, they NEVER actually worked together after the injunction was taken out over Interesting Drug. FACT.
In an earlier post in this thread I already addressed that Moz continued to release Street compositions after his ousting. In FACT that only further strengthens my argument that the injuction didn't fully sour their relationship considering that Moz would allow Street to earn more money from their time together rather than halting any further association. If Street was actually out when you contend then Moz would certainly not have made another one of his compositions the A side of his next single. Everybody knows that's not how Moz works when it comes to money. But after the embarrassment of Ouija Board Moz decided it was time to move on. You don't know when Ouija was written so your FACTS are just conjecture. Hell, you didn't even know they worked together again later. FACT.

In an earlier post in this thread I already addressed that Moz continued to release Street compositions after his ousting. In FACT that only further strengthens my argument that the injuction didn't fully sour their relationship considering that Moz would allow Street to earn more money from their time together rather than halting any further association. If Street was actually out when you contend then Moz would certainly not have made another one of his compositions the A side of his next single. Everybody knows that's not how Moz works when it comes to money. But after the embarrassment of Ouija Board Moz decided it was time to move on. You don't know when Ouija was written so your FACTS are just conjecture. Hell, you didn't even know they worked together again later. FACT.

Nice one buddy but you're reaching. Once you cross Mozzy your long term future with him is done and dusted. Doesn't matter if you are suing him, if it suits his purpose he will use in the short term such as using Joyce, Rourke and Gannon to help him play the Wolverhampton concert. however Mozzy plays the long game baybee and you so much as question him or send a legal letter his way then you are toast with a capital T. Feel free to carry on your rear guard defence of your ridiculous hypothesis but you've got this wrong and I'm not the only one on this thread who thinks so ;-)

And a quick EDIT/Update, Stephen Street was involved in the recording of Meat Is Murder, The Queen Is Dead, Strangeways Here We Come and Viva Hate as well as producing all 4 post-Smiths singles to this point in his career. However for Ouija Board the producers were Langer and Winstanley. So what you are trying to have me believe is that Morrissey decided to dump Street as his producer but keep writing songs with him only to change his mind after the poor reception of the single?????

Pull the other one. Street was replaced as the producer of that single because Morrissey had replaced him full stop.

Last edited:
The whole area where they shot the video was just full of men with ladders and spanners.

That is a green chroma key screen used for post production images. A completely different green than on the art work. Seriously WTF?

you misread my post, I said that it seems that he intentionally chose green for the video backdrop and green for the single, I didn't say they were the same exact green.

So there was no reason to attack me.

Take a chill, bro. :cool:

Don't stalk Miss Ketamine!

Other than that, Chroma Key rooms precede the CGI effects.... they existed way before 1989, typically the chroma key colour was blue (in the old days), but green was used too when they needed to film blue dressed characters (how do you think they made Superman fly in 1978? :))

And probably that's not really a chroma room (unless it was designed by someone who really hates the directors of photography)... a typical chroma room has curved angles instead of the usual 90º degrees angle between the walls and the floor... mostly because it is hard to film when the director of photography wants to murder the scenographer. :D

Don't stalk Miss Ketamine!

Other than that, Chroma Key rooms precede the CGI effects.... they existed way before 1989, typically the chroma key colour was blue (in the old days), but green was used too when they needed to film blue dressed characters (how do you think they made Superman fly in 1978? :))

And probably that's not really a chroma room (unless it was designed by someone who really hates the directors of photography)... a typical chroma room has curved angles instead of the usual 90º degrees angle between the walls and the floor... mostly because it is hard to film when the director of photography wants to murder the scenographer. :D

Nice one buddy but you're reaching. Once you cross Mozzy your long term future with him is done and dusted. Doesn't matter if you are suing him, if it suits his purpose he will use in the short term such as using Joyce, Rourke and Gannon to help him play the Wolverhampton concert. however Mozzy plays the long game baybee and you so much as question him or send a legal letter his way then you are toast with a capital T. Feel free to carry on your rear guard defence of your ridiculous hypothesis but you've got this wrong and I'm not the only one on this thread who thinks so ;-)

And a quick EDIT/Update, Stephen Street was involved in the recording of Meat Is Murder, The Queen Is Dead, Strangeways Here We Come and Viva Hate as well as producing all 4 post-Smiths singles to this point in his career. However for Ouija Board the producers were Langer and Winstanley. So what you are trying to have me believe is that Morrissey decided to dump Street as his producer but keep writing songs with him only to change his mind after the poor reception of the single?????

Pull the other one. Street was replaced as the producer of that single because Morrissey had replaced him full stop.
Believe whatever you want but that beard makes you look like a douche. FACT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom