Labour pains - Jared O'Mara (Labour MP) posts on Morrissey-solo from 2002 quoted - Guido Fawkes

Vile Homophobic Slurs of Jared O'Mara - Guido Fawkes

Excerpt:

Today Guido revealed the multiple sexist comments of Labour MP Jared O’Mara.Now the vile homophobic slurs of the Sheffield Hallam MP can be exposed…

O’Mara’s derogatory language on the ‘Morrissey Solo’ website message board includes calling homosexuals “fudge packers” who “drive up the Marmite motorway”. He says gay people are “bitter and resentful about being homosexual”.

41031_JARED9.png

41030_jaredposts.png

UPDATE:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he a famous person in UK?

He is now. Briefly. Until the next 'outrage' fires up the mob. What next? "MP admits listening to gangster rap CD as teenager"? It's 'moral panics' like this that make me despair of the UK. Both Jared & Clive are now 'folk devils' to channel the rage of the Outragetarians with the usual suspects having a fit of the vapours: Be in no doubt what kind of censorship regime these ridiculous clowns plan if they ever get power. Nobody with a functioning brain could possibly watch the footage of Clive saying 'get on your knees, bitch' and conclude it was anything other than a joke. We must now wait for the Morality Police to track Clive's internet comment history to see if there are other offences to add to the charge sheet.

For the record: Harriet, Jess, Yvette & Nusrat can go f*** themselves. Censorious twits.

Former deputy Labour leader Harriet Harman wrote: "Inexplicable. Inexcusable. Dismayed."

Jess Phillips, chair of the women's parliamentary Labour Party, also took to social media to express concern, tweeting: "Just seen the Clive Lewis video. Obviously I am appalled, just listened to 7 teenage girls speak up about gender inequality. Perhaps I'll bring them to work on Monday."

Former minister Yvette Cooper tweeted: "Agree w Jess. No excuse for saying this, whatever context."

Mr Lewis later apologised for the remarks saying they were "offensive and unacceptable".

Conservative MP Nusrat Ghani then said she would apply for an emergency parliamentary discussion on the issue, claiming Mr Lewis "used [his] position of power and establishment to undermine Parliament".

But although Mr Bercow said he did not "take such a matter lightly", he rejected the application, calling it "wholly absurd and inappropriate" to hold an emergency discussion of the remark.'

'John Bercow dismisses call for urgent debate on Clive Lewis joke as 'absurd and inappropriate'
House of Commons Speaker rejects application from Conservative MP Nusrat Ghani for an emergency parliamentary discussion'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...riate-speaker-commons-mp-labour-a8016686.html

I know what you mean and it comes with winning a lot but at times I get that people feel like that about a club that was successful even when it might not be true. It is the David against Goliath story all over again and people tend to root for David.

I loved Feyenoord winning the league title this year and I remember this great documentary about the rivalry between Amsterdam and Rotterdam. What was fascinating with it was that this young american woman living in Rotterdam followed Feyenoord like mad.

They showed the well setup security system with which fans arrived by train to the stadium without ever mingling with the away fans. Ajax have these fascinating old male fans who watch every training session discussing likely line ups and formations.

I doubt anyone would hate a side that is not successful so much of it is envy but on a whole football has lost a lot when it comes to atmosphere and even the style of play. On top of that clubs have begun to monitor the fans political views on social media and have in some cases banned them from the club and are now also controlling what they sing.

This might be the last season I follow the game cause I see all the changes and it is clear they are turning football into tennis and are focusing on the wealthy people who won't make a noise during the game. The game is full of corruption as well and the standard of refereeing in England is so bad now that they seem to openly admit that they are helping certain sides in certain games. On top of that you have the many political agendas dictating the game like the anti racism campaigns that to me feel forced and lack credibility.

I am glad I was young when football was entertaining and the atmosphere was great but everything has to come to an end. It is hard to believe that I was once a young man believing I would never get to see United win the league or a title in Europe so when I think back to those times I have been blessed.

I should have ended following it when United won a european trophy in Sweden of all places back in May cause to be fair that was the perfect ending. The banter and humour within the game is completely gone and people are not cracking jokes when their side lose a game and instead sulk for days.

The local Chelsea fan is so miserable when they lose and he tries to hide from me when they have. Some people just take it far too seriously and it is like they build their lives on how a football club gets on and I don't think you can really enjoy it when you do.

After Chelsea lost at Palace I said to the Chelsea fan "did Palace believe they were Barcelona playing in the same style shirts?" and he wasn't even smiling or seeing the funny side. He's never travelled over and seems to be walking around with a constant belly ache from worrying about the team.

Football used to be fun, now it is just a cold calculated business.

That is a very accurate description of what once was entertainment for a great part of the population and now has turn into a money laundering, whitewashing of illegal, criminal money.

The old adagium of the Roman empires, the rulers, give the people bread and games, like the gladiators, distract them from the thought of ever thinking to get rebellious and take over power still stands.

The rulers of today, governments, authorities, and behind the scenes big companies are still holding on to that thought and that is why they don't want to do anything about it.
In name and words they say they do but it is all window dressing.

But is it burned or burnt?

My online mistress Jenna in LA had a go at me for getting it wrong.

LOL

I don't know for sure actually.
I thought "burned"was the appropriate English word for it.
"Burnt" feels like an American dialect, and wrong. :)

Who is this 'I' you are referring to? 'Bluebirds'? Are you saying that your online persona/performativity narrative is a reliable guide to your Real Life persona? Really? Well, that's your choice to make if you want to. Just as Jared has done. But I wouldn't worry too much about the past. It's the future you need to be concerned of. There is a concerted attempt to force young people to 'police' their own online identities so that they are 'job-ready'. The same is happening with 'university debate'. It's the beginnings of a totalitarian clampdown on personal freedom to neuter the threat of Free Speech on the internet. This site is an amusing hold-out from the process....for now....LOL!

Very true observation. No my Morrissey-solo persona is not my real-life one nor even my Facebook/ Twitter/ Instagram/ delete as appropriate.
However if you're a kid and do not know of the art of letter-writing, remembering 7 landline numbers or avoiding the local skinhead gluesniffers and/or the dirty old man over the park in a trenchcoat you're doomed.

****written on a Cross-country train****

He is now. Briefly. Until the next 'outrage' fires up the mob. What next? "MP admits listening to gangster rap CD as teenager"? It's 'moral panics' like this that make me despair of the UK. Both Jared & Clive are now 'folk devils' to channel the rage of the Outragetarians with the usual suspects having a fit of the vapours: Be in no doubt what kind of censorship regime these ridiculous clowns plan if they ever get power. Nobody with a functioning brain could possibly watch the footage of Clive saying 'get on your knees, bitch' and conclude it was anything other than a joke. We must now wait for the Morality Police to track Clive's internet comment history to see if there are other offences to add to the charge sheet.

For the record: Harriet, Jess, Yvette & Nusrat can go f*** themselves. Censorious twits.

Former deputy Labour leader Harriet Harman wrote: "Inexplicable. Inexcusable. Dismayed."

Jess Phillips, chair of the women's parliamentary Labour Party, also took to social media to express concern, tweeting: "Just seen the Clive Lewis video. Obviously I am appalled, just listened to 7 teenage girls speak up about gender inequality. Perhaps I'll bring them to work on Monday."

Former minister Yvette Cooper tweeted: "Agree w Jess. No excuse for saying this, whatever context."

Mr Lewis later apologised for the remarks saying they were "offensive and unacceptable".

Conservative MP Nusrat Ghani then said she would apply for an emergency parliamentary discussion on the issue, claiming Mr Lewis "used [his] position of power and establishment to undermine Parliament".

But although Mr Bercow said he did not "take such a matter lightly", he rejected the application, calling it "wholly absurd and inappropriate" to hold an emergency discussion of the remark.'

'John Bercow dismisses call for urgent debate on Clive Lewis joke as 'absurd and inappropriate'
House of Commons Speaker rejects application from Conservative MP Nusrat Ghani for an emergency parliamentary discussion'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...riate-speaker-commons-mp-labour-a8016686.html

Well, if UK were half as concerned about war crimes as they seem to be concerned about verbal expressions Margaret would have died on a guillotine and Toni Blair would be in jail. Just my two pesos.

Still Morrissey must be happy. All publicity is good publicity as he's been attempting to prove the last 13 years.

Hope he makes Jared the backdrop for the next cancelled tour. The Ginger c***

If Morrissey were feeling adventurous, "The Ginger c***" or "Shed A Tear in Albion for A Ginger c***" could make for a spicy album track inclusion

By default email addresses were hidden in the old system so he actually changed it to public back then. Issues with privacy have certainly changed over the years. I debate the issue myself as a lot of correspondence these days are people wanting to remove past posts. An archive is slowly lost the more that is deleted. Does someone have the right to 'unsay' something from the past? You can't do that in real life.

Is there anyway the mods can ensure e-mail addys are removed even from posts 15 f***ing yeas ago?

I've said things on here which I'm not proud of (probably) but as far as I am aware I am not a public figure.

Shocking that throwaway comments made on a Morrissey website as a 21yo can scupper your career 15 years later. Guess this is the Orwellian nightmare all of us have signed up to.

Still Morrissey must be happy. All publicity is good publicity as he's been attempting to prove the last 13 years.

Hope he makes Jared the backdrop for the next cancelled tour. The Ginger c***

This weird British obsession with punishing people's words, jokes and extravagant commentaries is a typical sign of a society that considers more important the way things seem to be than the way things actually are.

Inquisition, here we come... again.

By default email addresses were hidden in the old system so he actually changed it to public back then. Issues with privacy have certainly changed over the years. I debate the issue myself as a lot of correspondence these days are people wanting to remove past posts. An archive is slowly lost the more that is deleted. Does someone have the right to 'unsay' something from the past? You can't do that in real life.

No, you can't do that in real life. But I don't understand why you wouldn't help those people to remove past posts, or even better, give them the tools to do it by themselves, David. Especially when you say a lot of people want to do it.

I know what you mean and it comes with winning a lot but at times I get that people feel like that about a club that was successful even when it might not be true. It is the David against Goliath story all over again and people tend to root for David.

I loved Feyenoord winning the league title this year and I remember this great documentary about the rivalry between Amsterdam and Rotterdam. What was fascinating with it was that this young american woman living in Rotterdam followed Feyenoord like mad.

They showed the well setup security system with which fans arrived by train to the stadium without ever mingling with the away fans. Ajax have these fascinating old male fans who watch every training session discussing likely line ups and formations.

I doubt anyone would hate a side that is not successful so much of it is envy but on a whole football has lost a lot when it comes to atmosphere and even the style of play. On top of that clubs have begun to monitor the fans political views on social media and have in some cases banned them from the club and are now also controlling what they sing.

This might be the last season I follow the game cause I see all the changes and it is clear they are turning football into tennis and are focusing on the wealthy people who won't make a noise during the game. The game is full of corruption as well and the standard of refereeing in England is so bad now that they seem to openly admit that they are helping certain sides in certain games. On top of that you have the many political agendas dictating the game like the anti racism campaigns that to me feel forced and lack credibility.

I am glad I was young when football was entertaining and the atmosphere was great but everything has to come to an end. It is hard to believe that I was once a young man believing I would never get to see United win the league or a title in Europe so when I think back to those times I have been blessed.

I should have ended following it when United won a european trophy in Sweden of all places back in May cause to be fair that was the perfect ending. The banter and humour within the game is completely gone and people are not cracking jokes when their side lose a game and instead sulk for days.

The local Chelsea fan is so miserable when they lose and he tries to hide from me when they have. Some people just take it far too seriously and it is like they build their lives on how a football club gets on and I don't think you can really enjoy it when you do.

After Chelsea lost at Palace I said to the Chelsea fan "did Palace believe they were Barcelona playing in the same style shirts?" and he wasn't even smiling or seeing the funny side. He's never travelled over and seems to be walking around with a constant belly ache from worrying about the team.

Football used to be fun, now it is just a cold calculated business.

f***ing hell you have no self awareness at all do you Urban lad?

I do help them. If they give specific links / reasons for deletion. Sometimes they want to delete posts from other people that they are mentioned / quoted. It's not that easy. The old system is archived, the tools weren't as powerful back then as they are now.

No, you can't do that in real life. But I don't understand why you wouldn't help those people to remove past posts, or even better, give them the tools to do it by themselves, David. Especially when you say a lot of people want to do it.

I do help them. If they give specific links / reasons for deletion. Sometimes they want to delete posts from other people that they are mentioned / quoted. It's not that easy. The old system is archived, the tools weren't as powerful back then as they are now.

That's great. I guess reasons are personal and must be respected whatever they are, even if they are private. But it doesn't have a lot of sense if quotes by other members aren't removed, too. Of course, it depends on available tools.
People grow with time and they usually change opinions. That's normal and even desirable. It's not like this man commited an actual crime. In fact, the consequences of most crimes would have prescribed. It's weird Morrissey-solo opinion's effects still remain.

That's probably because you don't live under Sharia Law.

No, I don’t. Thank f***. But I do live in Western Europe, where white Christian homophobes beat me so badly that I very nearly died and now live with a permanent disability. Don’t patronise me.

It seems impossible to talk about homophobia without some dickhead crying “YEAH BUT THE MUSLIMS THROW THE GAYS OFF THE ROOFS!”. Why can’t we condemn both the homophobic remarks made by a Labour MP and Islamic extremism, independent of each other? I have no doubt that getting thrown off a multi-storey car park in front of a baying mob is worse than getting called a fudgepacker on an internet forum, but that doesn’t make the latter right.

I don’t see what people want to accomplish with this weird relativising. Are we supposed to not give a f*** about anything anymore because jihadi militants murder homosexuals (and women and children and straight men) in territories they control?

No, posting an anti-gay slur on an internet forum isn’t very important or outrageous in the big scheme of things, but so what? Wearing a woolly cardigan isn’t very important or outrageous in the big scheme of things, yet here we are debating it over thirty pages. Next time you (rightly) point out the cruelty of cashmere production I’ll tell you yeah well, they only get cut and kicked but at least they don’t get Halal slaughtered. As if that made it better.

No, I don’t. Thank f***. But I do live in Western Europe, where white Christian homophobes beat me so badly that I very nearly died and now live with a permanent disability. Don’t patronise me.

It seems impossible to talk about homophobia without some dickhead crying “YEAH BUT THE MUSLIMS THROW THE GAYS OFF THE ROOFS!”. Why can’t we condemn both the homophobic remarks made by a Labour MP and Islamic extremism, independent of each other? I have no doubt that getting thrown off a multi-storey car park in front of a baying mob is worse than getting called a fudgepacker on an internet forum, but that doesn’t make the latter right.

I don’t see what people want to accomplish with this weird relativising. Are we supposed to not give a f*** about anything anymore because jihadi militants murder homosexuals (and women and children and straight men) in territories they control?

No, posting an anti-gay slur on an internet forum isn’t very important or outrageous in the big scheme of things, but so what? Wearing a woolly cardigan isn’t very important or outrageous in the big scheme of things, yet here we are debating it over thirty pages. Next time you (rightly) point out the cruelty of cashmere production I’ll tell you yeah well, they only get cut and kicked but at least they don’t get Halal slaughtered. As if that made it better.

It's more than obvious we all here condemn those words. As I'm sure we all condemn the words of people here calling me cow or mule just because they know I'm a woman.
There are women beaters and homophobes all around the world. The huge difference is that in some countries the legal system is homophobe and officers kill gay people because of that, and in other countries same sex couples can marry and have children. In some countries women have equal rights, at least in papers, and in other countries law states women need the authozation of the man who legally owns them to do anything. If you can not appreciate that huge difference, you need to make a reality check.
You have to make a reality check, too, if you can't notice the huge lack of reasonability that exists in the comparison between the lack of public condemn and punishment of actual serious crimes (like terrorism or war crimes) which harm people in a way that avoids any kind of ulterior repair, and the ridiculous attention and ask for punishment that receive some very unfortunate words written 15 years ago. It's this lack of reasonability what makes a legal system, and the state that applies it or allows it, utterly illegitimate and ridiculous.

It's impossible to defend stupid ignorant remarks at any time.
But the two faced baying mob attitude from certain quarters of the British media and others make me sick.
Tory and UKIP members routinely make stupid and bigoted statements all the time without the media going into destroy mode.
The average guy in the street do not take much notice of these things.
It's all such false offence.

I'm sorry to hear you were the victim of religiously motivated homophobic hate crime.

I do not accept I was 'patronising' you.

Criticising Islamic homophobia does NOT imply that I'm unaware of Christian homophobia or haven't been the victim of it myself. Context is important. There is a huge difference between ignorant individuals spouting rubbish on internet forums (where they can be challenged & debunked or even 'condemned') & an organised religious caliphate operating under Sharia Law. There is also a huge difference between cruel & irreverent humour about sexuality online and attempts to punish those sexualities physically whether through hate crime such as you have endured or via Sharia Law. Not all Muslims are extremists. There are gay Muslims. There are liberal interpretations of the Koran. It's this very complexity that requires us to make 'relative' judgements about matters. It's also why some of us choose to debunk Morrissey's endless 'fatwa' claiming 'Meat Is Murder' whilst eating cheese and wearing cashmere. He has set himself up as a public paragon of virtue only to have his alabaster crashed to the ground by his own 'fans' on this site.

If we demand a 'witch-hunt' every time a public figure is shown to have had politically incorrect views in their past, we are surely making it harder for change to occur? It's instructive to review the case of Mehdi Hasan who is 'out' about his past homophobia, but refuses to allow it to be the defining issue of his public persona. I do not think demonising people who have already 'recanted' helps others afflicted by homophobic views to change. It also appears entirely hypocritical to me that a political and media culture which ignores the grossest homophobia in certain areas of rap and hip-hop due to 'cultural sensitivity' then thinks it can police the views of others. That 'double standard' isn't going to work.

What are we to do about characters in historic film and television? Demand they be removed from scripts?

I personally don't give a damn about people's private prejudices. It's irrelevant to me whether a politician's Christian beliefs lead him to have 'issues' about LGBTQI rights.. What matters to me is how they vote on crucial issues. The UK House of Commons is teeming with MPs who opposed marriage equality, supported Section 28 and other such historical endorsements of homophobia. I don't see anyone trying to have them punished. Harriet Harman has a seriously confused historic public record with regard to the issue of paedophilia. The irony of her condemning Clive Lewis today is rich, to put it mildly.

Jared has chosen to 'own' comments he made under the alias/avatar/screen-name of 'Cosmic Dancer' and confirm them as a historically accurate representation of his views. That's his choice. He had other options. He could have politely but firmly insisted that his historic online persona wasn't/isn't an accurate reflection of his current 'real world' political views. Not all 'online trolling' is an accurate mirror of real-life attitudes. There is a rich historical record of serious artists acting as 'agent provocateur' & 'devil's advocate' in their published works. To insist that such strategies are not allowed to ordinary citizens online is fatuous. That doesn't mean comments made whilst in that role shouldn't be criticised, challenged and debunked but it does open up an online debate area where painful and difficult issues can be discussed. Assuming a faithful correlation between online comments and deeply held beliefs doesn't seem to be particularly logical

It's going to be interesting if 'real world' internet social media vigilantes go further with this stuff. What's next? Demanding that public figures confirm their porn choices are an accurate reflection of their views on gender equality? Can you see a slight problem there? Given that most porn is 'fantasy', no sane person would regard porn choices as indicative of moral failing unless it involved children, animals or non-consensual abuse of adults. If I find out a public figure has a penchant for violent S&M sex, that doesn't mean I automatically think they believe anybody has given them permission to be randomly subjected to capricious sexual violence. If I find out a public figure has a history as an incorrigible internet troll I'm hardly likely to take that as an accurate record of their deepest convictions. If you do, more fool you.

What is more disturbing is reports of his alleged recent verbal abuse outburst in a night-club shortly before becoming an MP. If that is substantiated then I think there are questions arising as to his suitability to be an MP. But his comment history on this site, which he has already recanted in shame, hardly seems a reason to put him on the stake and burn him. That appears to me to be just another example of mob hysteria. If Jared said these things on record in Parliament then I'd be very angry. But he didn't. He doesn't defend those comments but he has, rather foolishly, embraced them as an accurate historical record of his 'real world' views rather than just his contribution to an evolving online debate about these issues.

Things are improving in many ways. On this site, homophobic trolling used to be a sport, now folk are much more guarded as they know their views are unacceptable to wider society. The next frontier is 'grossophobia' as the reaction to Jared on Twitter shows. Everybody isn't suddenly going to become 'woke' about the rights of obese people to dignity and respect, they will still make 'fat jokes' but in time things will change in other cutting edge debates. Freedom is never static. It either expands or contracts. That's why this site is a fascinating experiment.

best wishes
BB

As a Muslim, I struggle with the idea of homosexuality – but I oppose homophobia
I've made homophobic remarks in the past, writes Mehdi Hasan, but now I’ve grown up — and reconciled my Islamic beliefs with my attitude to gay rights.

https://www.newstatesman.com/mehdi-...ruggle-idea-homosexuality-i-oppose-homophobia

Last edited:
f***ing hell you have no self awareness at all do you Urban lad?

I do crack jokes about it but not many others do is what I was saying. I did take the game too seriously way back and maybe it is an age thing though the local Chelsea fan turns 65 in May.

It is probably people like you that destroyed fan culture cause just look at your comment. You take it far too seriously is my guess.

Your problem and not mine.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom