kurt cobain imitating morrissey

Is he really imitating Morrissey? I've heard countless times over the years that he was, but I don't really see/hear it myself. Did Kurt Cobain ever actually say that he was imitating Morrissey?

i dont hear it either but yes
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/01/09/24/1610209.shtml

in his journals and interivews he mentions moz again
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/03/01/07/0852248.shtml

i really would have thought that moz was an inspiration for him as a writer and actually beign an big fanbut it sounds he wasnt THAT influenced by him in his journals refer to him as the cliche"sad and depressed"
be anally serious, sad and depressed like Morrissey,

with nirvana everything was starting for me
they were the first band which make me break away from what i have been listening before meaning the first band with noisy guitars and even if they were mainstream they didnt sound mainstream to me..unfortunately i was too young to like them when they were exisiting so it happened to get into them when around 1995.
i do remember though like it was yesterday seeing mtv around new years eve 1993 where they did show live n loud..i was too young too understand and liking it but still remember how shocked i was when he spit into the camera at the end. morrissey mentioned watching the ny dolls on tv as a child/young teen and never forgetting it-
buf diff to him it did took me more than a year to finally become a fan of nirvana, but the shock moment was def there
after them i got into sonic youth, neubauten, DAF, malaria,indie stuff , world music, cabaret music(holländer etc),riot grrl, velvet underground , new wave, punk stuff etc etc
Then after some time of search the artist which expresses my thoughts and feelings most accurately: morrissey but never forgetting though the stuff i like pre teen : motown soul, 60ties pop songs,groups like tlc and of course the cheesy popstuff whch might be of no worth in musicbooks/lists but makes me grin as it remembers me how i like it as a little child

Last edited:
This is based on my memory of reading his Journals (yes I felt ethically impugned) way back when but I seem to remember him having an elongated list of bands under some heading like 'Without which we would not be here'. Anyway I think The Smiths featured in that. Will dig it out tomorrow.

Never made the Morrissey connection from that 'performance'.

"That song was by Kurt Cobain. That kid's got a future, huh?"

6fs9og.jpg

There's one thing with Nirvana and The Smiths that I've always wondered if constituted an influence from the latter to the former, and it's musical. I don't think I know any other two bands that use such distinctly recognisable harmonies. Or would that be "chord structure"? You can instantly tell a Nirvana song from it's first three chords, to the extent that all of their songs seem almost like variations over the same melody. The Smiths are more varied, but nevertheless have a trademark kind of harmonics, usually suspended somewhere in between happy and melancholy. It's what gives them such a distinct character, despite otherwise not really being musically very original in any very striking way. I always wondered if that's something Cobain took on board in his songwriting, consciously or not.

cheers

i dont hear it either but yes
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/01/09/24/1610209.shtml

in his journals and interivews he mentions moz again
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/03/01/07/0852248.shtml

i really would have thought that moz was an inspiration for him as a writer and actually beign an big fanbut it sounds he wasnt THAT influenced by him in his journals refer to him as the cliche"sad and depressed"

Thanks. Interesting... I guess that solves that then, although I still don't see the resemblance to Morrissey in the performance. That second link, where Cobain calls Morrissey "sad and depressed", has some particularly stupid Solo user responses underneath it. It's amazing to see how defensive some of the users on the front page get over Morrissey, even when there's literally nothing to get defensive about.

Back
Top Bottom