Kristeen Young

Damien Dempsey left to record his album as I recall. I know there wasn't any rift anyway because he gave a couple of interviews afterwards where he talked about the tour and he said nothing derogatory at all. He said he had a great time.

As to Kristeen getting sacked, I wouldn't believe it yet. It sounds to me like there might be some bitter jealous Morrissey fans with their own agenda who are responsible for these rumours.

KY is GREAT! She's beautiful, talented & had the strength to put up with us this long. I pray Morrissey punishes us with some heavy set buck toothed hillbilly playing a god awful tuuba to really make u all BITCH! KY they're all just angry cuz you're the only girl on this tour & most likely all of nice looking men on this tour r probablly dying to go out with u. U rock KY. :)

good lord a comment from you that did not make me want to pull my eyes out! lol ;)
anyway, this made me laugh and kudos for supporting KY.

Damien Dempsey left to record his album as I recall. I know there wasn't any rift anyway because he gave a couple of interviews afterwards where he talked about the tour and he said nothing derogatory at all. He said he had a great time.

I remember hearing a rumor that Moz dropped Damien Dempsey rather abruptly. Something about Dempsey being asked a question like, "what was your favorite part of being in Philly?" in an interview and he mentioned its Cheese Steaks. And then, "poof"...just like Keyser Soze..he was gone. :eek:

The only problem is that I have the memory of a half-asleep, 89 yr old Alzheimer's patient who just polished off a bottle of Wild Turkey and took 27 bong hits...so I could easily have imagined this. Does this story ring a bell with anyone or have I finally lost what was left of my mind? LOL :confused:

I quite like Kristeen Young. Although even if she didn't offend Moz, comments like that are a bit much. Especially with his fans standing there. Are Tony V and Kristeen a couple? Did not know that.

You are right!! I remember now...it was the Philly cheesesteak comment!

The cheesesteak comment was made. Morrissey's people asked him not to say it again, he promised not to and continued to tour with them. He even recounted the anecdote in interviews later as a joke. He left the tour later on due to recording committments.

What is "unprofessional" to a musician? I'm not mocking you, I'm curious.

Are there rules to follow?.

Yes, there are rules. You can break them if the audience is there to see you. Kristeen's problem is that she is an artist and not an entertainer and she seems to have an issue with the fact that not everyone is bowled over by her. So as talented and unique as she is, she irritates people that are there to enjoy Morrissey and pretty much indifferent about who opens the show.

About this "professional" question, unfortunately some musicians are to blame for the idea that it's all a free for all, but that's really disrespectful to all of the professional musicians that show up on time, sober, or at least not drunken or stoned, rehearsed and ready to perform, who are happy that someone bought a ticket and will do their best to entertain.

I don't claim any inside information but I've heard again and again that people get hired because they are professional, have a good attitude and are easy to work with. You don't get to live out your Pete Doherty fantasies until the people are there to see you.

And with the feedback that Kristeen has gotten, of which Morrissey is surely aware, "disrespectful to the audience" "temper tantrums" and so on, most unknown, unsigned opening acts would have been dropped.

Kristeen has had so much handed to her and she is like a spoiled child in her attitude towards the audience. I didn't go see to see her, but presumably some of the money I spent on tickets wound up in her pocket, and I did not appreciate being treated to sarcasm by a person that I really don't care about at all. They could have NO opening act at all and it would amount to the same thing in my opinion. I recognize her talent, but I don't enjoy her music or her performance, and she should just be happy she is getting this exposure before this audience.

Yes, she worked hard. Yes, she has talent, and yes, she is, if not unique, at least unusual, but that is true of many musicians. They all work hard, unless they believe this thing that the music business is all a big party. Many of them are talented and different, but they don't all get the chance to play at the Hollywood Bowl, be on television, be part of a successful tour, and get all of the attention she has received thanks to Morrissey. She should THANK the people that are watching her perform.

That word is key. It's a performance. If you want people to appreciate you as an artist do the Kristeen Young tour and be true to that. Don't open for someone with an intensely loyal fanbase and expect them to accept bad behaviour.

Well, see, I said it so much nicer earlier. :p Sorry, I'll try not to talk about her again.

The cheesesteak comment was made. Morrissey's people asked him not to say it again, he promised not to and continued to tour with them. He even recounted the anecdote in interviews later as a joke. He left the tour later on due to recording committments.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)
I'm just glad to hear that I didn't completely make up the cheesesteak incident...that story just seemed too bizarre for anyone, even me, to just imagine out of thin air. LOL

Well Dave, I'd very much like to call you an idiot, but I don't see the point in wasting time outlining why you are such.

What I don't understand is why people don't see the whole picture?!?! Why are people not taking the time to compare and contrast both Kristeen and Morrisseys presentation? They are putting together a show. Their messages feed off each other. From her comments to her dress to her vocal style, it's all presenting something that nobody seems to want to take the time to dissect beyond "I hate her voice." In many respects Morrissey is closing for Kristeen. I know I'll be chastized for saying this, but think about it? Morrissey knows what he's doing. He's an artist and these shows are his happenings, I just fear that nobody's getting it.

Yes, there are rules. You can break them if the audience is there to see you. Kristeen's problem is that she is an artist and not an entertainer and she seems to have an issue with the fact that not everyone is bowled over by her. So as talented and unique as she is, she irritates people that are there to enjoy Morrissey and pretty much indifferent about who opens the show.

About this "professional" question, unfortunately some musicians are to blame for the idea that it's all a free for all, but that's really disrespectful to all of the professional musicians that show up on time, sober, or at least not drunken or stoned, rehearsed and ready to perform, who are happy that someone bought a ticket and will do their best to entertain.

I don't claim any inside information but I've heard again and again that people get hired because they are professional, have a good attitude and are easy to work with. You don't get to live out your Pete Doherty fantasies until the people are there to see you.

And with the feedback that Kristeen has gotten, of which Morrissey is surely aware, "disrespectful to the audience" "temper tantrums" and so on, most unknown, unsigned opening acts would have been dropped.

Kristeen has had so much handed to her and she is like a spoiled child in her attitude towards the audience. I didn't go see to see her, but presumably some of the money I spent on tickets wound up in her pocket, and I did not appreciate being treated to sarcasm by a person that I really don't care about at all. They could have NO opening act at all and it would amount to the same thing in my opinion. I recognize her talent, but I don't enjoy her music or her performance, and she should just be happy she is getting this exposure before this audience.

Yes, she worked hard. Yes, she has talent, and yes, she is, if not unique, at least unusual, but that is true of many musicians. They all work hard, unless they believe this thing that the music business is all a big party. Many of them are talented and different, but they don't all get the chance to play at the Hollywood Bowl, be on television, be part of a successful tour, and get all of the attention she has received thanks to Morrissey. She should THANK the people that are watching her perform.

That word is key. It's a performance. If you want people to appreciate you as an artist do the Kristeen Young tour and be true to that. Don't open for someone with an intensely loyal fanbase and expect them to accept bad behaviour.

Well, see, I said it so much nicer earlier. :p Sorry, I'll try not to talk about her again.

Well said, Dave, but one thing none of us knows is what is shouted up at her from the audience. Judging by the kind of vitriol that exists on this site, don't you think it's possible she was provoked? I was toward the back of the venue on Tuesday night but even there I heard people grumbling and saying the meanest things about her. I'm not defending her, just pointing out that we don't really know the full story. When I heard her "hate" rant, as dippy as it was, it sounded to me like she'd been pushed over the edge.

Last edited:
Oh go ahead and call me an idiot. You don't have to say why.

This compare and contrast thing sounds like fun.

It's quite funny that Kristeen is being criticised for being sarcastic while supporting one of the most sarcastic artists ever. :D

You're an idiot.

Well said, Dave, but one thing none of us knows is what is shouted up at her from the audience. Judging by the kind of vitriol that exists on this site, don't you think it's possible she was provoked? I was toward the back of the venue on Tuesday night but even there I heard people grumbling and saying the meanest things about her. I'm not defending her, just pointing out that we don't really know the full story. When I heard her "hate" rant, as dippy as it was, it sounded to me like she'd been pushed over the edge a little.

this occurred to me as well Worm, I do not doubt she has had some pretty vile stuff shouted to her, so she has a right to reply and also she is not the only artist to be a bit huffy, most artist say stuff like, I know you are waiting for "so and so" it does not mean they are provoking a bad response.

The way to build an audience is not only to play good music, but to connect with the people listening. To feel the atmosphere and to win them over. That can be hard work. But rewarding when you get it right. The only time I saw KY close up she was dismissive to the only people in the hall who were encouraging her. Morrissey gets action-reaction with a mix of cute and cruel. She has to give the people something of her to like, give them a chance to connect, but the time for that may well be passed as the tour draws to an end with increasing antagonism on both sides. A missed opportunity, which is sad, because she doesn't lack talent.

I'd link you to the frontpage, but man, that's a minefield...

Essentially, Kristeen made a joke the other night at the Hammerstein Ballroom to the effect that "Morrissey gives great head...I mean, cunnilingus."

There have been various suggestions that Morrissey must have found this highly offensive. Myself, I think if the Kristeen who wrote a song about abortion which parodies the structure of "Little Jack Horner" and refers to a penis as a "life-stealing baby gun" is okay by Moz, the Kristeen who said that is probably okay, too. Good taste is not a primary part of her schtick (nor, really, a part of his, though he isn't as into it as she is).

hah! I can appreciate a speck of her lyrics now, since i had no blinking idea what the f*** she was singing gthe last few times i heard her. i cant stand her but "life stealing baby gun" gets kudos from me regardless of my personal KY feelings!

this is true. I was at the Philly show where he said it. Later that night, during Moz's set, M gave props to Damo then said "I'll make a vegetarian of him yet" I saw the tour a few weeks later and Damo was still on.

I saw Damo headline a show last year here in Philly and he brought it up. He said "Last time I was here, I made a comment about cheesesteaks...I was on tour with Morrissey, and..well..yeah." He laughed and then went on and had several good and flattering things to say about Morrissey, calling him a very talented musician, singer, songwriter, and a great person.

So yeah, there's obviously no bad blood there.

It's quite funny that Kristeen is being criticised for being sarcastic while supporting one of the most sarcastic artists ever. :D

my sentiments exactly! did we even get the story right? Moz is a cunning linguist, after all.

Tags
kristeen young
Back
Top Bottom