Kristeen Young

modrevolve;682458 two things I noticed about kristeen's performance..she never announces her last song because of possible sarcastic cheers and Moz has never (that I know of anyway) had her come out to sing on "that's how people grow up" because of possible jeers.[/QUOTE said:
I don't know the reasons behind these two things that you noted, but she used to announce her last song prior to playing it, and there would be great cheering. Sometimes she would even acknowledge the great relief that her absence from the stage would bring.

holy cow that rumor on the main page that just popped up about Kristeen getting fired is juicy. :eek: I do feel bad for her if that's true...but the girl did get alot of exposure riding the Moz Coattails so I'm sure she'll do okay.

I can't imagine KY's sex joke would've even annoyed him, in the spirit in which it was said, which I think was just to get a rise out of the crowd (KY seems to assume that the entire crowd sees her as only an "obstacle") in a neener-neener sort of way. Everything she said that night was for that purpose. The first thing out of her mouth was, "Here comes 40 minutes of Obstacle." She was spoiling for a fight, trying to get a reaction.

:: shrug :: I'm surprised anyone was offended by that. . . Lighten up, people!

--jeniphir

holy cow that rumor on the main page that just popped up about Kristeen getting fired is juicy. :eek: I do feel bad for her if that's true...but the girl did get alot of exposure riding the Moz Coattails so I'm sure she'll do okay.

yes, I am sure she will be fine if it is true, however i really hope it is not. I mean it is not long till this tour is over so they could have left it till the end surely, unless they thought the reception she would have got would have been very hostile.

I can't imagine KY's sex joke would've even annoyed him, in the spirit in which it was said, which I think was just to get a rise out of the crowd (KY seems to assume that the entire crowd sees her as only an "obstacle") in a neener-neener sort of way. Everything she said that night was for that purpose. The first thing out of her mouth was, "Here comes 40 minutes of Obstacle." She was spoiling for a fight, trying to get a reaction.

:: shrug :: I'm surprised anyone was offended by that. . . Lighten up, people!

--jeniphir

well said jeniphir.

What about sourcing the statement (to get a bit Stalinist now, but I have to say it) that the crowd is indifferent? The regulars are often indifferent (or hostile). The remainder of the theater has applauded, with various levels of enthusiasm, all the times I've seen her (West Coast).
Wait, you just inserted that bit without explaining in the reason for editing! Oh well.

I can't use the multiquote, but I did write that the crowd was "indifferent at best" and I'm sticking to it. I don't rate a smattering of truly appreciative applause amongst the overwhelmingly obligatory, polite applause from a half-filled hall enthusiastic.

I have to say the crowd did seem to become more polite (but not necessarily appreciative) during this leg, and the west coast was nicer to her. I've seen about 20-30 shows of the 2006 ROTT tour (mostly in the UK and Europe) where the response to KY was often aggressively rude. I don't like KY's set, but I'm so embarrassed about the "fans" Morrissey attracts when they are so rude to her.

Last edited:
I don't see anyone thinking that what she said was offensive, though. She's "salty" as someone said on the other thread and...

We've covered all of this before. I don't dislike her, and I could say nice things about her. But when you see him repeatedly, you see her repeatedly, and people can't be blamed if they would like some variety.

That's a nice enough way to say it, I think.

I like Kristeen and I'm betting that with the tour winding down, she'll be sticking it out.
But if not...let's just bring back that good ol' Irish cheese steak lover, Damien Dempsey! I enjoyed it when he opened up for Moz.

I don't see anyone thinking that what she said was offensive, though. She's "salty" as someone said on the other thread and...

We've covered all of this before. I don't dislike her, and I could say nice things about her. But when you see him repeatedly, you see her repeatedly, and people can't be blamed if they would like some variety.

That's a nice enough way to say it, I think.

I appreciate your saying that. Believe me, the Young fans would be happy, if we could, to take their places and see her ten times more than once.

But yeah, I can understand the conundrum of The Tour You're Following, and The Opening Act You Don't Hate But Don't Care For And You Wish They'd Change It Up. I have been there. So.

All that offends me is that people get so damned personal.

Last edited:
If this is true, how will this affect Moz's relationship with Tony V since I believe he and Kristeen are a couple..

I was the one who refered to her as salty..To many musicians including myself it would be a dream come true to open for Morrissey on a worldwide tour especially when you are unsigned and without label support...Her unprofessional attitudeon stage has gotten worse and worse to the point where she is begging the audience to verbally abuse her..

If this is true, how will this affect Moz's relationship with Tony V since I believe he and Kristeen are a couple..

I was the one who refered to her as salty..To many musicians including myself it would be a dream come true to open for Morrissey on a worldwide tour especially when you are unsigned and without label support...Her unprofessional attitudeon stage has gotten worse and worse to the point where she is begging the audience to verbally abuse her..

What is "unprofessional" to a musician? I'm not mocking you, I'm curious.

Are there rules to follow? I always thought of the rock show as a fairly anything-goes sort of thing, anarchy and all that, aside of certain very basic etiquette (for opening bands, show up on time, end on time, tell everyone to enjoy the main event, all of which Kristeen does).

Maybe unprofessional is the incorrect adjective to describe her..I've never considered that flipping over her keyboard after her set in disgust of the audience's reaction or making rude and inappropriate comments is just her personality coming through and my interpretation that she is coping a serious attitude because the majority of the audience is not appreicative of her talents is incorrect..that could be what Morrissey likes about her for all I know..

Maybe unprofessional is the incorrect adjective to describe her..I've never considered that flipping over her keyboard after her set in disgust of the audience's reaction or making rude and inappropriate comments is just her personality coming through and my interpretation that she is coping a serious attitude because the majority of the audience is not appreicative of her talents is incorrect..that could be what Morrissey likes about her for all I know..

People seem to have such different interpretations of her actions. If I saw her flip a keyboard, even in apparent rage, I'd think she was being sarcastic. It seems to be no secret to Kristeen that the people at the front of the room have seen her more often than their interest in her, if any, strictly demands. Generally, when she makes a remark to that effect, I read it as sarcastic and uncomfortable and in a fairly lighthearted spirit.

It isn't to say you're wrong, since I wasn't there and I've learned to assume NOTHING about how I would've reacted to shows if I'd been there (because the Solo frontpage never agrees with me on the ones I do attend) - but I am pretty familiar with her, and I tend to read a lot of sarcasm into her moments of apparent drama. Her work's shot through with it. She is, though, also quite deadpan and into the high emotion so it's all a bit ambiguous (which I think is the sort of thing Moz would like her for, but that's beside the point).

I do think it's time for her to get off the Moz circuit (though after tour's over). I look forward to seeing her in some other context. It's sort of awkward to be so aware that fans of one artist I adore are in a state of exhaustion regarding another artist I adore.

Last edited:
[QUOTEPeople seem to have such different interpretations of her actions. If I saw her flip a keyboard, even in apparent rage, I'd think she was being sarcastic.]

When I saw her do this in Philly a few months ago, mine was a temper tantrum because the few people who arrived early (seated venue) weren't paying attention to her..She was much more gracious the first time I saw her at the Aragon in 2006..For her that must feel like a lifetime ago..whatever happens I wish Kristeen best of luck ..there is no doubt an audience for what it is that she does..

She's terrible! Hopefully I wont have to sit through her set in Boston again! Her drummer's actually quite good, though...

I like her, granted I don't think I could listen to her on CD everyday. But I feel that way about a lot of artists/bands that I love. I think people take her jokes too seriously. I think she thinks she's making the best of a precarious situation. Cause pops is definitely at "an evening with" status and openers just seem like an obstacle no matter how good they are.

I do find it interesting that Morrissey has taken her out this long, I almost think the man has a crush on her(haha). I'm still slightly bitter about Tiger Army getting booted, but oh well. I can see them frightening some Moz fans. One of their most popular songs is "F*** the World." Eek!

My dream is that he comes back to Chicago and has the Smoking Popes open since they are back together and have written new songs. That's a swoon worthy lineup.

Didn't Morrissey kick Damien Dempsey off the tour back in 2004? Does anyone know or remember why?

Heh, no idea how Dempsey left! I hope they're on good terms, they always said such friendly things about each other at the time.

I wanna know exactly how many of Moz' openers leave voluntarily.

KY is GREAT! She's beautiful, talented & had the strength to put up with us this long. I pray Morrissey punishes us with some heavy set buck toothed hillbilly playing a god awful tuuba to really make u all BITCH! KY they're all just angry cuz you're the only girl on this tour & most likely all of nice looking men on this tour r probablly dying to go out with u. U rock KY. :)

Tags
kristeen young
Back
Top Bottom