Kristeen Young - your thoughts on her and her music

The Seeker of Good Songs

I haven't payed any attention to her but just listend to a Janice Long BBC intervew with her.

I know she is young, but she didn't appear very bright. Perhaps it was being comfortable with being interviewed. I wasn't impressed but then it was only a few minutes of talk also.

What is her music like?

Check out the Breasticles album if you can. It's really rather good! Which reminds me... Buy the other albums too, J. :)

I haven't payed any attention to her but just listend to a Janice Long BBC intervew with her.

I know she is young, but she didn't appear very bright. Perhaps it was being comfortable with being interviewed. I wasn't impressed but then it was only a few minutes of talk also.

What is her music like?

I heard a Janice Long interview too (how many could KY have had with her?) but it included some performances. KY definitely doesn't seem terribly bright. A couple songs were okay, although I fear that my wife may walk out at the Ram's Head concert.

I think she's great

she's not that young, when morrissey was her age he was a superstar.

When I was in line at Kimmel there was a street performer. He had a great big clown hat on, perhaps it was covered in tin foil or something... I can't remember. He was pulling a large empty paint bucket behind him upon which was also balanced a speaker, with a mike to his mouth. He was dreadful, but in a very entertaining way, and I couldn't help but think how much better he was as an opening act than Kristeen Young!

(I don't get her.)

And I agree with Duchess that Morrissey (and most) are usually famous by her age... which is what??? 31 or something.

I still stand and watch her perform.... especially in the pit setting as I want my damn space in the front!

What is her music like?

Don't think being bright is relevant/related to musical talent.

In any event, Young is awful, just like all Moz support acts, bar the odd few.

Musicians usually choose someone they know can't upstage them as support.

I've tried to like her...I like the concept of her but not what she actually produces.

When I was in line at Kimmel there was a street performer. He had a great big clown hat on, perhaps it was covered in tin foil or something... I can't remember. He was pulling a large empty paint bucket behind him upon which was also balanced a speaker, with a mike to his mouth. He was dreadful, but in a very entertaining way, and I couldn't help but think how much better he was as an opening act than Kristeen Young!

(I don't get her.)

And I agree with Duchess that Morrissey (and most) are usually famous by her age... which is what??? 31 or something.

I still stand and watch her perform.... especially in the pit setting as I want my damn space in the front!

Oh Susan...you're funny. I don't like her either. I remeber hearing a song called "Goddamn you scenesters" by her and laughing at how terrible it is. It reminded me of one of those urban...(I am sorry if I get all of these genres completely wrong...but I really don't know what all of that music is called)...Nelly Furtado-ish tunes...with rap background music etc...it was just bad. I however, think that Life's not shot it's so long is a good song. Maybe because I can almost understand what she is singing about and the lyrics aren't half-bad. Other than that, two thumbs down. I don't know how people can compare her to Kate Bush because...Kate Bush writes amazing lyrics, and has more talent and honesty in her songs than "KY".

I think Morrissey should ask that tinfoil guy to open for him. Talk about being eccentric! I hate all these semi eccentrics....who are weird when it is appropriate, and even then, just in small doses.

She doesn't come off all that young to me (31!) - nor "not bright" - just odd. Her musical mindset appears to share a lot with Moz', even though her writing, singing and overall style are diametrically opposed to his. They're both disinterested in convention to the point where they may not see it when they try to look at it, and their intended relationship with listeners is similar - personal (for a long time, I've read, her self-released CD's were sent to fans in elaborate packages festooned with stickers and decorations) and confrontational without ceasing to be basically human.

I think there's a lot of wit in her visual style, though I find the wit of her songwriting limited - it's all about the emotion and the voice for her; the lyrics are just amplifiers. She does get off some phrases and rhymes I like, but by and large the backbone of her songs is the selection of theme. Fortunately she has a knack for that; she's exceptionally good at being impolite, as in her rant ("You Ruined Everything") to a more successful lover who "fulfils me in all ways," but whose help has harmed her on a variety of levels. The song makes Kristeen and her lover both sound almost irredeemably nasty, and yet there's enough identifiable truths in it that it comes off as a statement of faith. People have found artistic success on significantly worse than the ability to do that.

At the same time I find her use of her talents can cross the line into preciousness - the anti-Ten Commandments schtick of X is the classic example. Kristeen seems (to me) to very obviously live in her own world with her own values and her own priorities, and sometimes to take that to the point of losing touch with what might get to us - to mis-aim, and mis-aiming a voice like that is sort of like mis-aiming a howitzer. But her failures aren't my primary impression of her.

I think it's peculiar, though, that she identifies so strongly as a regional (Midwestern) and outsider artist, but still lives in New York and makes an incredible amount of her wish to get properly signed (she was signed to Attack!, I believe, but that seems to have lapsed with the death throes of Sanctuary). I also think that there's some sort of weird standard at work if, given her very reasonable level of talent, she truly hasn't found a single label -not even the smallest indie?- who'd take her...and then, initially, I found it hard to see past the fact that most of the success she's had thus far has been due to the help of the various prior-generation artists who admire her - when I'm sure it would've been possible for her to convert a reasonable fanbase through some method that didn't, by its very nature, make people think less of her. Surely it wouldn't kill her to try and drum up some support among the smarter metalheads, for example, who in my experience love synths and opera-voice and high camp and offense for its own sake. But I don't know anything about the music industry, and if I judged artists primarily on how they handled their professional lives, I'd be a much more confused and unhappy person.

Kristeen is the only artist Morrissey's introduced me to that I've really fallen for. I'm really looking forward to seeing her on the U.S. tour; I think she and Moz go down well together, largely because they oppose each other so violently. She's not an ideal, but she's original, genuine and vocally remarkable, and she deserves more chances than she's getting.

Last edited:
She`s not my cup of tea,far too shreiky.I`ve given her fair do`s but I just don`t get the attraction.(and no Robby or anyone we don`t NEED a piccie of Her looking ravishing).

she is shite. and i reckon at least 50% of the people on here who claim to like her do so because Moz bums her so much :p

she is shite. and i reckon at least 50% of the people on here who claim to like her do so because Moz bums her so much :p

How eloquent!!I doubt he bums her,Visconti would give him another black eye like the one he "had" in Pasedena.

Back
Top Bottom