"Knockabout World" released on YouTube / streaming platforms (Feb. 21, 2020)

You could be right. When a new song is released I'll listen to it, but I almost wish he didn't release songs and just let the album come out. Sometimes the whole is more than a sum of its parts.
Letting down folks gently, perhaps?

Remember the passionate, stream-of-conscious overflow of Maladjusted? All the words just pouring out of him?

I want to start from
Before the beginning
Loot wine, "Be mine, and
Then let's stay out for the night"
Ride via Parkside
Semi-perilous lives
Jeer the lights in the windows
Of all safe and stable homes
(But wondering then, well what
Could peace of mind be like?)
Anyway do you want to hear
Our story, or not?
As the Fulham Road lights
Stretch and invite into the night
From a Stevenage overspill
We'd kill to live around
SW6 - with someone like you
Keep thieves' hours
With someone like you
...As long as it slides
You stalk the house
In a low-cut blouse :
"Oh Christ, another stifled
Friday night!"
And the Fulham Road lights
Stretch and invite into the night
Well, I was fifteen
What could I know?
When the gulf between
All the things I need
And the things I receive
Is an ancient ocean
Wide, wild, lost, uncrossed
Still I maintain there's nothing
Wrong with you
You do all that you do
Because it's all you can do
Well, I was fifteen
Where could I go?
With a soul full of loathing
For stinging bureaucracy
Making it anything
Other than easy
For working girls like me
With my hands on my head
I flop on your bed
With a head full of dread
For all I've ever said
Maladjusted, maladjusted
Maladjusted maladjusted
Never to be trusted
Oh, never to be trusted
There's nothing wrong with you, oh
There's nothing wrong with you
There's nothing wrong with you

Morrissey needs to sit down and WRITE. Not just lazily ad-lib this shit in the studio and call it a day. The complaint used to be that Morrissey's band sucked but his lyrics were still great. Who could have predicted that within a decade it would be the other way around?
so true. This is a crock of shit. Listen to "Louder than Bombs" or "Vauxhall" and then this. Poles apart. f*** me, I love him and will always love him, but where is the witty, desperate, disparate, hilarious (accident with a 3-bar fire) Morrissey?

I’m enjoying it more after a few listens.
As I was saying, this song may be just
what the album needs as far as it’s place between the other songs.

We’ll see. :)

Like KMAL then? That song was quite a lightweight when standing on its own, but worked well as a bridge between the heavier parts of the WPINOYB album.

BTW, I like this track much more than KMAL. It may be just what we need on the first day of Spring (= release day of the album).

Yah but what part of the 80's? Lionel Richie? It is not cutting edge or daring, as the great 80's music was (New Order, OMD, The Cure, etc.). To me it sounds like naff 80's.

Lets go for the poppy side of The Cure then.
Or how about Erasure?

f*** me, I love him and will always love him, but where is the witty, desperate, disparate, hilarious (accident with a 3-bar fire) Morrissey?

He got old, and he would've died anyway...

You could be right. When a new song is released I'll listen to it, but I almost wish he didn't release songs and just let the album come out. Sometimes the whole is more than a sum of its parts.
A (fairly large) part of my brain completely feels this way.... about album singles in general, really. But, yes.

"Congratulations You have survived. Congratulations You're still alive" I think those are good opening lines. Or maybe it's just the way he sings things that make them appear better than they really are.

The YouTube video went live in the UK at midnight.

Engineer: Bill Mims
Assistant Masterer: Chris Allgood
Orchestra: Czech Film Orchestra
Engineer: Emily Lazar
Synthesizer: Gustavo Manzur
Guitar: Jesse Tobias
Electric Guitar: Jesse Tobias
Engineer, Producer: Joe Chiccarelli
Engineer: Ken Sluiter
Bass Guitar: Mando Lopez
Drums, Percussion: Matt Walker
Engineer: Maxime Le Guil
Vocals: Morrissey
Engineer: Nate Haessly
Engineer: Pavel Ridoško
String Arranger: Roger Manning Jr.
Arrangement Horn: Roger Manning Jr.
Synthesizer: Roger Manning Jr.
Backing Vocals: Roger Manning Jr.
Engineer: Roman Sklenár
Arranger, Conductor, Contractor, Performance: Steve Aho
Engineer: Zac Zajdel
Composer, Writer: Jesse Tobias
Composer, Writer: Michael Daly
Composer, Writer: Morrissey
Composer, Writer: Roger Manning Jr.

Also live on the usual store portals.
The 320 official will be in the downloads section shortly.
Regards,
FWD.

Posted here 7 minutes ago:

This is infinitely better, imo, than the first two released tracks (didn't care for them at all). That said, it's not outstanding. Really good, but nothing that's gonna set the world on fire. The care he takes to put forth wonderful vocals (as he's clearly been concentrating on in recent years) is evident. As others have noted, lyrically these are not the days of yore... and maybe they never will be again. Perhaps it is in fact a conscious decision to write in this style. They aren't bad. Just not what they once were. Maybe that's unfair because no one was in Moz's league (and there likely never will be again). From the first The Smiths release through a good bit of the first decade of the 2000's (admittedly with less consistency), it was almost as if he had the answers to the exam before taking it. I like much of the relatively current stuff and the singing is great for most of it, but there isn't a track that puts it all together for me. In the past I could count on his lyrics to save something I felt was mediocre musically. When the lyrics weren't as strong, the music would rescue it. I long for the days when everything was in sync and realize they may not be coming back... at least not under the current situation. I remain optimistic about what's yet to be released on this new record. This new track has at least given me hope that there is a stunner or two forthcoming... hopefully.

Vocals/lyrics, I’m ok with but the keyboards?
They sound very John Shuttleworth.
How many times ?
SACK THE 4KIN LAWNMOWERS :rolleyes: FFS!

Verdict so far ? I don’t think he has any standards these days. Lost all interest, record/tour/repeat.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

He's lost it as a great lyrcist.......obviously... but that was ok........could have gone on any of the early stuff. It's tuneful but there's no passion or guts there.

Yeah I don't want to hear anymore songs until the album is out. Three is already too many.

I wonder if it’ll bring him comfort to hear people sing you’re ok by me back at him

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info
Back
Top Bottom