Kings of Glam - BBC1

I

Iacomus

10:35pm - 11:35pm

These are heady days for devotees of 1970s music. Life on Mars's soundtrack is littered with gems, and here's a whole hour of glam rock for anyone who can still remember all the words to T Rex's Hot Love. (Easy: most of it goes "na na na na na na na".) It's a well-trodden path, of course, as most of us know all about David Bowie and how he went from nerd to sexually ambiguous, cross-dressing rock god. We know all about Elton John, too, and dear old Slade. But what the heck, the archive footage alone is worth the price of admission, and you'd have to be made of concrete not to want to sing along to Skweeze Me Pleeze Me. There are lots of talking heads, though sadly no Bowie or Elton John. But the divine Johnny Marr of the Smiths pays tribute to Marc Bolan, Noddy Holder and Dave Hill from Slade are unstoppably chatty, and Roxy Music's Phil Manzanera is very suave indeed.

RT reviewer: Alison Graham

Profiling the leading men of the glam rock era, Lisa Tarbuck guides us through the glittering careers of Marc Bolan, David Bowie, Noddy Holder, Brian Ferry, Elton John and honorary glam king Suzi Quatro. Industry men including producer Tony Visconti, songwriter Mike Chapman and photographer Mick Rock give the insider angle to the work of these artists.

> wonder if Paul Gadd will get a mention?

Maybe when they're talking about Kings of Grime.

Girl A

> He wan't available - he went to Tampa with the kids! (allegedly)

You're a cruel person!

Just watching now....

Johnny's looking relaxed and decidedly handsome Nice to see Marc Almond in recovered health, too.

Re: Just watching now....

Hey! Jed's step-daddy "The Fonz" (AKA Henry Winkler) too....

Re: Just watching now....

> Johnny's looking relaxed and decidedly handsome Nice to see Marc Almond
> in recovered health, too.

Indeed. Johnny looks very well. Morrissey should harness his talent once more, or else E Hartman's comments about 'Mediocrissy' will ring all too true.

Back
Top Bottom