King Leer cover by Alain Whyte

Alain Whyte has been doing covers of a lot of the songs him and Morrissey had worked on over the years. Great to hear them stripped down to their acoustic origins. I hope they collaborate again. To me, Alain was Morrissey's best collaborator. But anyways here's his take on King Leer. Kill Uncle is very underrated

GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn

Nobody's Nothing
RE found x3 'Somebody who wants to be with me all the time' love that bit.

I love the whole song. It's odd, but full of atmosphere.

H

Holden C.

Kill Uncle is atrocious. There’s barely a song on the record! And to think this was after Strangeways and Viva Hate?!?

GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn

Nobody's Nothing
Unfortunately the music papers were just trying to make a business out of the Madchester scene. But like all fads, that didn’t last too long.
That's certainly right but don't you agree that after Viva Hate and all the fantastic singles/Bona Drag, Kill Uncle was a bit of a let down? I don't necessarily mean lyric wise, mostly sound-wise.

Don't you think that without the tour and the fabulous looks of Morrissey and the band, just listening to the album, even a favourable music critic or fan could have been disappointed?

I don't mean to slag off Kill Uncle, mind you. I adore this album, but it did take a long time to grow on me.

Ketamine Sun

<><><><><><><>
That's certainly right but don't you agree that after Viva Hate and all the fantastic singles/Bona Drag, Kill Uncle was a bit of a let down? I don't necessarily mean lyric wise, mostly sound-wise.

Don't you think that without the tour and the fabulous looks of Morrissey and the band, just listening to the album, even a favourable music critic or fan could have been disappointed?

I don't mean to slag off Kill Uncle, mind you. I adore this album, but it did take a long time to grow on me.

Yes, couldn’t agree more. I really wish someone would go in there and remix the damn thing. I don’t know if that would help, but I just wish it was better, rougher. Didn’t Nevin even say that the songs should have been heavier? The songs were originally more guitar-based, can’t remember his exact words.

Even live the songs didn’t really sound that great, the band didn’t really have their sound together at the time. It wasn’t until 92 that they really got their shit together.

GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn

Nobody's Nothing
Yes, couldn’t agree more. I really wish someone would go in there and remix the damn thing. I don’t know if that would help, but I just wish it was better, rougher. Didn’t Nevin even say that the songs should have been heavier? The songs were originally more guitar-based, can’t remember his exact words.
Yes, he said that they deliberately stripped back the guitar in favour of piano because they didn't want it to sound too much like The Smiths (or Street's compositions, I assume).

I've really come to appreciate the weird sound of it to be honest, even the hollow sounding vocals, but more as an oddity.

A remix would be great and I would REALLY appreciate it if Morrissey were to sing some of the songs live again. I can absolutely imagine him doing The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye or There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends (original version) and I would happily lose both of my legs to hear Sing Your Life in a future set.

Haunted4Wanting

3× National Front Disco champion 🏆
Hmm I'm not sure Kill Uncle is underrated. At the time it was given a hard time by ahem 'critics' but it spawned an incredible tour and still holds up well to this day. Apart from 'Found x3' which is awful. Pity Moz doesn't return to some of the songs for recent tours...
I agree, I think it's aged really well and one of the most played albums of his that I own

Haunted4Wanting

3× National Front Disco champion 🏆
Yes, he said that they deliberately stripped back the guitar in favour of piano because they didn't want it to sound too much like The Smiths (or Street's compositions, I assume).

I've really come to appreciate the weird sound of it to be honest, even the hollow sounding vocals, but more as an oddity.

A remix would be great and I would REALLY appreciate it if Morrissey were to sing some of the songs live again. I can absolutely imagine him doing The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye or There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends (original version) and I would happily lose both of my legs to hear Sing Your Life in a future set.
I feel a kinda gothic vibe from this record. It's not blatant but the album has an interesting mood to it. I think it's a nice change of what came prior and the more muscular tones that came afterwards

GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn

Nobody's Nothing
I feel a kinda gothic vibe from this record. It's not blatant but the album has an interesting mood to it. I think it's a nice change of what came prior and the more muscular tones that came afterwards
The second half certainly does! Well, not exactly "gothic" but the sound and also the various effects add to the eerie mood, so I know what you mean.

nairng

Nice one! Don't know how we can hear the melody so clearly when it looks like he's just strumming the chords. Crafty!
He's adding notes and changing chords to provide the melody. This is why he goes up for the final A chord of the first bit (which Neal Cassidy wondered about), to emphasise the E note which finishes that bit of the melody.

ACTON

Don't Leave Us In The Dark
A very odd record at the time of its release and still sounds wonderfully bizarre to this day.

Just how could you explain this album to someone who has never heard it? It really is so strange...

Thoroughly underrated.
Underrated but badly produced. I'd love to see what another producer would have done with it. The record is too subdued.

Nerak

Reverse Ferret
Compared to World Peace and LIHS, its a masterpiece.

BTW its a fortnight today since the interview "alert" and still nothing.

Either he's not got round to it or it's waiting to be typed up.

Interesting they felt the need to put out an alert though.

A

Anony

Either he's not got round to it or it's waiting to be typed up.

Interesting they felt the need to put out an alert though.
With any luck, someone's checked it and advised against its release - or heavily edited it so there is no mention of his deeply foolish, career-destroying political views.

Nerak

Reverse Ferret
With any luck, someone's checked it and advised against its release - or heavily edited it so there is no mention of his deeply foolish, career-destroying political views.

His actual views are fine - it's the unhinged feminist & his fact-checking that are the issue.

Having watched every last one of her Godawful videos, I can't imagine that he's still keen on her but he might try to justify his initial enthusiasm by highlighting her animal rights activism or something like that - which could be dire.

So, yes, with any luck... ☘☘☘☘☘☘

skull

Alain Whyte has been doing covers of a lot of the songs him and Morrissey had worked on over the years. Great to hear them stripped down to their acoustic origins. I hope they collaborate again. To me, Alain was Morrissey's best collaborator. But anyways here's his take on King Leer. Kill Uncle is very underrated

Kill Uncle is not underrated. It's Morrissey's worst, worser than Low in high school which is better produced and has more musical power. That said, Kill uncle still has good songs, but dragged down by a weak production. If those songs were re-recorded, they could shine.

Tags
alain whyte kill uncle morrissey

Trending Threads

Top Bottom