"Kill Uncle" reissue CD promo; review in The Mouth Magazine

Just spotted....

Morrissey Kill Uncle CD promo, 2013 - eBay.co.uk

Strange...the item is no longer available... Just found out that he got the P+P wrong, will relist it tonight.

kill_uncle_reissue_promo.jpg

An anonymous person also sends the link:

MORRISSEY – Kill Uncle (Expanded) - The Mouth Magazine

THERE’S NOT TOO MUCH WRONG WITH KILL UNCLE. THAT IS TO SAY, AN EVEN ONLY CURSORY LISTEN DEMONSTRATES THAT THERE’S NOT TOO MUCH WRONG WITH THE ORIGINAL 1991 VERSION OF KILL UNCLE.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What a terrible review. More flowery bs than a pitchfork review, and despite the fact it is a REMASTER, the reviewer doesn't say one thing about how it actually sounds.

The mastering on all CDs through Southpaw Grammar are piss poor and sound way too low. Listen to "Speedway" or "Seasick..." - just so so low and need to be given new life. Though both of those songs above will be hacked off their respective re-issued albums and replaced with an instrumental demo of "There Speaks a True Friend"

The volume is not too low on the early CDs you numpty, YOU JUST NEED TO TURN THE VOLUME ON YOUR Hi-FI UP! The method of mastering at high volume comes at the expense of crushing all the dynamics out of a recording, which is why 'Ringleader of the Tormentors' sounds bloody awful, and 'Vauxhall and I' sounds amazing.

What we need is someone to remaster the latter CDs and bring the volume down, not turn the bloody things up!

I thought it was an entertaining read. "Flowery" suggests writing that has no point or conclusion - clearly that's not what this review was... And, with respect, anyone who uses the phrase "BS" when slating someone else's writing clearly has little grasp on decent use of language so can be dismissed.

I hope he never remasters Vauxhall and I. I always felt it was perfect and full of mystery. I remember getting a copy of Born to Run remastered. It sounded clearer and louder, but somehow less mysterious. You could hear what individual instruments were doing as opposed to them bleeding together and creating some sound that you couldn't quite place. Although it sounded technically better it suddenly became the work of mere mortals. Sometimes in music technical deficiencies actually add magic to a recording. I always felt that one of the reasons the Smiths records sounded so timeless was that they didn't have the latest most technically advanced recording techniques of the day. If you were to rerecord the Smiths now you might have records that sound better, but they wouldn't have the same sonic qualities that make them stand outside of place and time. Think of an old Leadbelly recording. Doesn't the primitive nature of the recording give it some magical quality that a more modern recording might now have? The hisses, static, and background noises make it seem like some kind of ghost is present at the sessions. Often on itunes you see greatest hits by 1950's and 1960's acts that are re-recordings. Are the newer versions ever better than the originals?

That being said I don't mind artists fooling with their own records, as long as they give us the option of getting the original version. Every once in awhile you will get something better. But I think that they should be careful. They always risk the chance of diminishing their own work.

Vinylexchange has got one for sale .....£ 90

http://vinylexchange.co.uk/

Cheers Moz

I asked in the shop the other day if they had any to be told that they didn't. So, either just in, or greedy b*stards witing to see how much they go for online before selling on.

Dave

I have a copy for sale, but it is different to the one described above. Mine appears to be the actual product, with a promotional sticker and press release sheet. I was also e-mailed a promotional image. PM me if you are interested.
P150413_00.53_[01].jpg

The volume is not too low on the early CDs you numpty, YOU JUST NEED TO TURN THE VOLUME ON YOUR Hi-FI UP! The method of mastering at high volume comes at the expense of crushing all the dynamics out of a recording, which is why 'Ringleader of the Tormentors' sounds bloody awful, and 'Vauxhall and I' sounds amazing.

What we need is someone to remaster the latter CDs and bring the volume down, not turn the bloody things up!

Well said, but to bring Ringleaders as an example isn't enough ... Years Of Refusal sounds outright criminal compared to ROTT!

After those 3/4 copies sold on EBay , I have not seen any around for some time now. Take Viva Hate Reissue Promo cd ( there are two versions) : I have not seen any for ages now!!!

Cheers Moz

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom