kill uncle appreciation thread

vivaissy

muggle, first order
i know this album gets a lot of slagging but it has produced some great tracks...

our frank, sing your life, pregnant for the last time
and possibly the greatest track ever written ('...EVER'!!!) 'my love life' ~ so so so beautiful.

and a fantastic album live.
and mozzy looked (probably) his most fab then!

vivaissy said:
i know this album gets a lot of slagging but it has produced some great tracks...

and possibly the greatest track ever written ('...EVER'!!!) 'my love life' ~ so so so beautiful.

and a fantastic album live.
and mozzy looked (probably) his most fab then!

Pregnant For The Last Time?
Is it a bonus track?

Kill Uncle is brilliant!!
It reminds me of being at 6th Form.

i couldn't believe it when one magazine gave it 1/5 (think it was the issue of uncut with the big morrissey interview recently and they gave a quick review all all his solo albums) - there is no way on earth that kill uncle deserves a score that low! it's not his best solo work but it's in no way his worst.

i know preganant was not on the album, but it is of that time...

I think Mute Witness is the best track on the album. I love the vivacious drums. I just crank it up and go nuts... Love it!!!! To see Spencer during this tour doing Mute Witness, just made it all better... He was just so enthusiastic!

I've been waiting for this one! Wonderful album!

Some of my all time favorites are on it. Mute Witness is in my humble opinion possibly the best Morrissey song ever...

Lot of love for Kill Uncle!

Pregnant For The Last Time is not from Kill Uncle and it's not a B-side. It was a stand alone single and it was the first thing Moz, Boz, Gary, Spencer, Alain recorded together. Mark Nevin wasn't even there for the recording.

don't forget the amazing King Leer and Driving Your Girlfriend Home! I really don't udnerstand why people in general found (found found ;)) this one of his weakest albums!

love this LP.
it's beyond me why lots of so-called-fans loathes it.

Maybe not his best solo effort, but some good ones there all the same.

Our Frank....now that always puts a smile on my face!

" your frankly vulgar, red pullover"

I liked "Kill Uncle" as a minor Morrissey album until I heard the same songs played live. After his 1991 tour, I didn't much care for it. Once you've heard those songs given a good solid treatment by his band, it's tough to go back and enjoy the studio versions. It just sounds precious and quirky, comic rather than confident.

"Sing Your Life" is an example of a song that doesn't hold a candle to the live version. Sounds like a demo, in retrospect; much of the album does.

The one evergreen song is "There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends", which would go on just about any best-of compilation that I'd do. "Mute Witness" is pretty good, too.

vivaissy said:

Uh.....neither "Pregnant" or "My love Life" are on this album; they were singles released between Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal...they are, however, great songs and would've certainly helped...

Let's face it, the album is nothing special. Some good songs, but I find the production to be quite weird. "Found Found Found" is truly awful.

Summal said:
I've been waiting for this one! Wonderful album!

Some of my all time favorites are on it. Mute Witness is in my humble opinion possibly the best Morrissey song ever...

Lot of love for Kill Uncle!

Thanks.

Sing Your Life is great, on the album and the radio session version. The same goes for There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends. The End of the Family Line ranks up there too, and Found Found Found is probably the most underrated song on the album. Also Asian Rut is really good. Never understood how that song could possibly be considered racist. Bengali in Platforms (a great song by the way), sure, but not Asian Rut.

Last edited:
I've been thinking the same thing latley.. I recently ( today) listened to it through a couple times. I love it, I feel that it is one of the most unnoticed albums.. I liked Tony The Pony ( The US bonus track). I love Driving Your Girlfriend Home, it's also fun to sing, I thought Kill Uncle was very " In It " and I have said that before.. but I believe it now more than ever. It's just so ** ( Undescribable):)

I think My favourites on that album are ( all of them) Our Frank, and Mute witness and Theres a place for me and my friends... are the ones that grew on me first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom