Kevin Cummins Photo Exhibition

Grahamchard

Trouble Loves me
Hi Guys,

Here is a copy of a e mail I recieved today not sure if its of interest to anyone but maybe so.........................................

Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain
Photographs by KEVIN CUMMINS
September 4 - 26
Invitation
Private view with the photographer
Thursday 3rd September 6 - 8pm
The definitive photographic history of Manchester pop from 1976 to today, featuring some of the most iconic music photographs of all time. Read more here

Entry to this event is free but is absolute strict RSVP by email to [email protected] for entry to the private view

Exhibition supported by Faber.

Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain is published by Faber, 17 September 2009, £30 hardback

Manchester born Kevin Cummins has an international reputation as one of the world's leading photographers. His iconic portraits of rock musicians as diverse as Joy Division, The Smiths, Oasis and David Bowie have graced magazine covers, galleries and bedroom walls the world over and are included in the collection of The National Portrait Gallery and The V&A amongst others.

Early copies of the book Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain, which Kevin will be signing, will be available at the opening and throughout the exhibition, ahead of general publication. Signed copies may be ordered in advance.

Sounds interesting.

The website is using a Moz image to promote it
KEVINCUMMINS006_72-300x288.jpg

http://www.richardgoodallgallery.co...he-pouring-rain-photography-by-kevin-cummins/

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you I will go to this show - looks great, will send off for an invitation.

:thumb: :):)

nice
tell us about pics we didnt know (havent seen berfore that were showed there..maybe you are even allowed to take a photograph ..soem exihibitions allow it some not...
*hoping for a linder and /or jake walters exhibition:thumb:*
i went to a anton corbijn exhinbition years ago but i cant remember if moz were shown...at that time i wasnt the huge fan i am today (more the casual fan one)and was rather drooling over blixa;-)

Re: Jake Walters . . .

. .. . is a superb photographer, fine artist in one and I have suggested he work on a one man show. Am going to show above but even though I have not seen the works yet, I doubt they will have an edge over JW's. The best pictures of M are from JW's lense . . . absolutely.

i know linder does lots of exhibitions..
but i was thinking about a specific exhibition with morrissey-pictures
I wouls love to see the printed pics from morrissey shot in a huge size....:)
and some unseen pics too...She had shot pics of him during the boxers tour...they havent seen the light of day yet....
as for jake..i havent heard of exhibitions of him where his morrissey pictures were exhibited...
you?

Just back from preview night, well worth a look if you are in town and if you have a spare £875 you can buy limited edition prints (unframed):thumb:

Just back from preview night, well worth a look if you are in town and if you have a spare £875 you can buy limited edition prints (unframed):thumb:

I went as well. The exhibition has some beautiful photos in it. The book is well worth £30 - loads of Moz / Marr & Smiths images as well as loads of other Manc stuff. I bought the postcard set as well - it should have been £12, but the shop assistant forgot to charge me for the postcards. Bonus! :thumb:

I thought Kevin's comment about thanking his family for putting up with him wittering on about Joy Division for the last 35 years was funny.

If only I has a spare £875... I'd buy the graffiti image of the union jack with the sex pistols lyric in it ;)

Dave

That Union Jack pic is brilliant, got Kevin to sign my "the smiths and beyond" as well as the great book, in "the smiths and beyond" he wrote "manchester so much to answer for..." a nice touch me thinks
A good eve and a few drinks oooopppppssss nice after work but not enough to make me go mad with credit card ha ha
Graham

Sounds excellent, thanks for the info.
Are there any previously unseen Morrissey photos that you spotted in the book?

Sounds excellent, thanks for the info.
Are there any previously unseen Morrissey photos that you spotted in the book?

Not sure whether there is anything new in the book, I don't have copies of everything ever published - there are certainly some photos that aren't in "The Smiths and Beyond" - not unseen photo shoots, but alternate shots - such as more shots from the Smiths at Dunham Massey, 4 shots of Morrissey in Smiths is Dead / Oscar Wilde T-shirt - it looks like he's bopping along to something also alternate shots from Cologne in 1991 where he's lying on a staircase.

There's some photos of fans that I've not seen before
  • one at Southern Cemetery in 1988 wearing a hatful of hollow denim jacket
  • two fans at the festival of the tenth summer 1986
  • The back of a fan wearing a Quarry t-shirt at a gig in Rome in 2006 - with "Manchester, so much to answer for" written on the back

Unfortunately, to scan them would ruin the book, so if you want to see them, you'll have to buy it.

Dave

Not sure whether there is anything new in the book, I don't have copies of everything ever published - there are certainly some photos that aren't in "The Smiths and Beyond" - not unseen photo shoots, but alternate shots - such as more shots from the Smiths at Dunham Massey, 4 shots of Morrissey in Smiths is Dead / Oscar Wilde T-shirt - it looks like he's bopping along to something also alternate shots from Cologne in 1991 where he's lying on a staircase.

• The back of a fan wearing a Quarry t-shirt at a gig in Rome in 2006 - with "Manchester, so much to answer for" written on the back

Unfortunately, to scan them would ruin the book, so if you want to see them, you'll have to buy it.

Dave
Intend to Dave. Thanks for the info. :thumb:

i know linder does lots of exhibitions..
but i was thinking about a specific exhibition with morrissey-pictures
I wouls love to see the printed pics from morrissey shot in a huge size....:)
and some unseen pics too...She had shot pics of him during the boxers tour...they havent seen the light of day yet....
as for jake..i havent heard of exhibitions of him where his morrissey pictures were exhibited...
you?
or this:

orginally posted by je suis julie
I'm still hoping for a Jake Walters coffee table sized pictoral retrospective. You know a good 500 pager. Massive photos. Tiny text.
:thumb:
biiig size please:)

I went as well. The exhibition has some beautiful photos in it. The book is well worth £30 - loads of Moz / Marr & Smiths images as well as loads of other Manc stuff. I bought the postcard set as well - it should have been £12, but the shop assistant forgot to charge me for the postcards. Bonus! :thumb:

I thought Kevin's comment about thanking his family for putting up with him wittering on about Joy Division for the last 35 years was funny.

If only I has a spare £875... I'd buy the graffiti image of the union jack with the sex pistols lyric in it ;)

Dave

Dave

Hi Guys,

Here is a copy of a e mail I recieved today not sure if its of interest to anyone but maybe so.........................................

Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain
Photographs by KEVIN CUMMINS
September 4 - 26
Invitation
Private view with the photographer
Thursday 3rd September 6 - 8pm
The definitive photographic history of Manchester pop from 1976 to today, featuring some of the most iconic music photographs of all time. Read more here

Entry to this event is free but is absolute strict RSVP by email to [email protected] for entry to the private view

Exhibition supported by Faber.

Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain is published by Faber, 17 September 2009, £30 hardback

Manchester born Kevin Cummins has an international reputation as one of the world's leading photographers. His iconic portraits of rock musicians as diverse as Joy Division, The Smiths, Oasis and David Bowie have graced magazine covers, galleries and bedroom walls the world over and are included in the collection of The National Portrait Gallery and The V&A amongst others.

Early copies of the book Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain, which Kevin will be signing, will be available at the opening and throughout the exhibition, ahead of general publication. Signed copies may be ordered in advance.

ohh its released today:thumb:
i wait a bit when someone sell it used...
has anyone ordered it?

ohh i just saw amazon sell it for 16.50 but still... i need every penny at the moment so this pretty book must wait a while to be in my posession...

Last edited:
Now in Saltaire. There's a nice interview with Kevin Cummins in the Bradford T&A today, in advance of this. Included is an interview session with Kevin. Think I'll go to that one.

So, if you're on the good side of the Pennines, there you go. The Mill is within hopping distance of the train station, literally, just a few yards from the exit.

Peter

Last day today at the Richard Goodall Gallery. I called in last night for a very swift look. I also attended the Buy Art Fair at Urbis and walked in with Kevin, who was doing a "signing". They tried to charge him to attand his own gig! Nothing took my fancy, so the wall above my mantelpeice remains bare. I spent a few minutes looking at the Morrissey portrait by Linder (black & white with a bit of glitter), but at £800 plus vat and framing, my upstairs hallway can make do with the Rex Features "je suis morrissey" photograph I have sitting waiting to be hung.

Did anyone else go to the Kevin Cummins exhibition he did at the Proud Gallery in London when his Smiths and Beyond book came out? I went but cannot for the life of me remember the year! Think it must have been around 2001 but I could be wrong. There were loads of nice framed prints for sale all around the £700 mark. Was very tempted but didn't have the money back then!

Back
Top Bottom