Kerouac's Crack lyrics

I think that’s great. It’s an intelligent and logical move to just not listen rather than be negative, which benefits no one.

For me, I stopped listening to Suede when Bernard left, for me the chemistry that attracted me was forever gone, though that also has to do with me moving on, evolving, and having different sonic needs. Nor do I listen to much of Reeds later work or Patti Smith’s work after her Wave album, as another example. But I don’t go on and on criticizing them for not writing, etc the same way they did when they started. Just move on.
Yes, well we're more mature than most, k-ket. It's not required that an artists entire oeuvre perfectly suit our tastes. I mean, if it came down to it I'd probably rather listen to present day Moz than anything on the radio, but why listen to present day Moz when I can listen to present day suede?!

Don’t understand why this song is getting so much hate. Morrissey has always wrote and liked these kind of songs, it’s part of the appeal. I’m fairly sure Last Night I Dreamt was recorded at the same time as Work is A Four Letter Word, and Kerouac's Crack is an improvement on the latter. Its better than Roy’s Keen as well.

I feel a pang of irritation, seeing my beautiful post, which I have tried to make it look all round and sound, being chopped up in pieces.

I need some acknowledgement. Was i able to make you understand my individual experience of the song a little bit more, or have i failed? Do you want me to respond to anything that you have written?
I think until we get all the lyrics, we may not be able to figure it out. To be honest, I am not even sure Morrissey knows what he is trying to say in these songs.

I think until we get all the lyrics, we may not be able to figure it out. To be honest, I am not even sure Morrissey knows what he is trying to say in these songs.
These are the lyrics as far as I’m aware.

Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la,
Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la

Just walking along, tra la la la,
Oh Jack, oh Jack, oh sweet baby Jack,
Everything he writes down must have instant attack

Anything less would only make him crack,
Any less would only make him crack, only make him crack

Tra la la la, tra la la la,
Borrow Burroughs,
Sit on Ginsburg, tra la la la,
47 years is enough time to live

Anything more would only make him crack ,
Anymore would only make him crack, crack, crack, only make him crack

Coney Island,
Sloppy sailers,
Tra la la la,
He better not hear

These are the lyrics as far as I’m aware.

Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la

Just walking along, tra la la la,
Everything he writes down must have instant attack

Anything less would only make him crack,
Any less would only make him crack, only make him crack

Borrow Burroughs,
Sit on Ginsburg, tra la la la,
47 years is enough time to live

Anything more would only make him crack ,
Anymore would only make him crack, crack, crack, only make him crack

Coney Island,
Sloppy sailers,
Tra la la la,
He better not hear

Thank you. What is the source for this?

They’re under the live YouTube video but sound pretty accurate to me.
Thank you. It seems to hit a number of things you would really only know if you knew anything about Kerouac, but I am not going to commit myself to any interpretation now. Surprised that he left out the Catholicism since that is something he and M have in common.

I’m sorry. I’ll try again. And I totally understand your individual experience of the song, do you understand mine? It’s alright if you don’t. Though in general, I feel we are just approaching the song in different ways.

As I already stated ….

‘Maybe he’s just nonchalantly pointing to the things and beings he admires, leaving the rest for you to find out, a gift to you. Now enjoy the journey, that’s if… you’re really interested.’

Meaning, he seems to be deliberately not giving you a song as biography on Jack, etc.

He’s giving you the listener/fan the opportunity to explore on your own, making the admiration of the individual Jack, etc your own experience, which is better than him just giving it to you, which wouldn’t be the same as you putting the effort into finding out for yourself.

Also I didn’t say that those topics addressed in my second paragraph are entirely reflected in this song. That is left to speculation. But I do find some description of someone ‘busting up their brains for the words’ or the right words to express themselves, and also some hints that may point to a lifestyle that does not conform to what was considered the norm, especially in the 50’s-60’s. That’s if the lyrics given by the anon are correct.

Also as I said, it doesn’t seem to be his intention to write a song as biography on Jack. We don’t really know why he uses the repetitive ‘Tra la la la’ phrase, to me it’s a juxtaposition/contrast, light against dark, as a way to emphasize and to point out the absurdity of life, such as Sisyphus and the boulder.

I never said the song was about being an outsider. Yes we all have different needs, and we look to different artists to supply that to us. I try not to expect Morrissey to write a certain way always just to satisfy my needs, I prefer to be surprised, and even through disappointment I can find satisfaction by trying to understand why he does what he does or doesn’t do.

Like most artists, we create for ourselves first.
The intention is not always to win others over. But it’s nice when it happens.
i see your point, M pointing at things, recommending something, he is sharing an interest, he doesn't have to do that. It's like driving on the highway and seeing a sign pointing at a diner. I'd rather unscrew the sign, put it on the passenger seat, and move on rather than visit the diner.

I have explained above why my appetite has not yet been stimulated by the song. If you relate to it, that's great. Song was written for you then. Enjoy. Take a bite.

Also I didn’t say that those topics addressed in my second paragraph are entirely reflected in this song. That is left to speculation. But I do find some description of someone ‘busting up their brains for the words’ or the right words to express themselves, and also some hints that may point to a lifestyle that does not conform to what was considered the norm, especially in the 50’s-60’s. That’s if the lyrics given by the anon are correct.
Interesting, will keep that in mind for the next listen.

The sha-la-la-la (Despite my tinitus, I'm pretty sure he sings sha not tra in the video) helps to not make it a Jack song. I don't need Jack at all in this song.

I see your point about the juxtaposition of light/dark, and there are quite a lot of songs with a darkish subject matter and a light-hearted melody, like Simon & Garfunkels "I am a rock" for example. In the case of S&G though, the isolation topic was elaborated on more thoroughly, had more substance matter. i know that M still has it in him.

I try not to expect Morrissey to write a certain way always just to satisfy my needs, I prefer to be surprised, and even through disappointment I can find satisfaction by trying to understand why he does what he does or doesn’t do.
I know exactly what you mean. Wouldn't expect that from any artist as well. But I'd be honestly disappointed if it was just a song about K's arse, as it was suggested in another thread, which i hope it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you think he has something to say but doesn't know how to deliver it? there is something sketch-booky about the Crack-song.

i see your point, M pointing at things, recommending something, he is sharing an interest, he doesn't have to do that. It's like driving on the highway and seeing a sign pointing at a diner. I'd rather unscrew the sign, put it on the passenger seat, and move on rather than visit the diner.
Well, if your hungry enough, you’ll follow the sign, visit the diner, and have a coffee with Jack. Is all that I’m saying. :)
I have explained above why my appetite has not yet been stimulated by the song. If you relate to it, that's great. Song was written for you then. Enjoy. Take a bite.

Interesting, will keep that in mind for the next listen.

The sha-la-la-la (Despite my tinitus, I'm pretty sure he sings sha not tra in the video) helps to not make it a Jack song. I don't need Jack at all in this song.

I see your point about the juxtaposition of light/dark, and there are quite a lot of songs with a darkish subject matter and a light-hearted melody, like Simon & Garfunkels "I am a rock" for example. In the case of S&G though, the isolation topic was elaborated on more thoroughly, had more substance matter. i know that M still has it in him.

I know exactly what you mean. Wouldn't expect that from any artist as well. But I'd be honestly disappointed if it was just a song about K's arse, as it was suggested in another thread, which i hope it isn't.

Yeah, I at first also heard ‘Sha’ then someone corrected me, then of course after they said it was ‘Tra’, I then suddenly could kind of hear that it could be ‘Tra’. Funny how the mind can play games like that. I’m still not sure, though! Lol.

I prefer ‘Sha’. Because of its nonchalant character. Though ‘Sha’ or Tra’ even with it’s hard ‘T’ still fits the vibe of the song for me. I wouldn’t be surprised if Morrissey first started vocalizing the nonsense ‘Sha/Tra la la las’ before he even had lyrics for the song, and just kept them in there, because he felt they fit and contributed to the song.

But yes, ‘Tra’ or ‘Sha’ ? I just can’t really tell with this audio. Hopefully we’ll get a sonically better version soon. I don’t think all the lyrics are correct in this thread. Though probably close.

So you think he has something to say but doesn't know how to deliver it? there is something sketch-booky about the Crack-song.
I think it might be a little too obscure and esoteric. Kerouac was a very troubled person and there is a lot to say about him even tho he had a relatively short life, but I don't know many people who are into him, and I pretty much live in the area where he was born and raised and a lot of his relatives are still around - he was a local.

I think it might be a little too obscure and esoteric. Kerouac was a very troubled person and there is a lot to say about him even tho he had a relatively short life, but I don't know many people who are into him, and I pretty much live in the area where he was born and raised and a lot of his relatives are still around - he was a local.
This probably helps to develop or maintain some sort of interest.

I read two of his novels and thought they were okay. In one of them he is bumming through the US, Westcoast to Eastcoast and back and forth, non-stop, never realizing that for him this country will never be about freedom but rather imprisonment. It was like witnessing someone in a padded room, bumping against the walls, unable to imagine that there is life beyond its borders.

Generelly, i am more interested in people's artistic output rather than their biography.

I don't even listen to new morrissey songs

What do you mean by "new" ?
I think Home is question Mark, Jackie and I wish You lonely, Knock about world and River Clean, are great great tracks, much better than lots of post 2000 songs and so is Oblivion
I think his weaker tracks are these stupid smithy ones like Rebels and what kind of people live in these houses. Its a matter of taste though.

Is it just me or does this song have a country like sound? I'd love a whole album like this

What do you mean by "new" ?
I think Home is question Mark, Jackie and I wish You lonely, Knock about world and River Clean, are great great tracks, much better than lots of post 2000 songs and so is Oblivion
I think his weaker tracks are these stupid smithy ones like Rebels and what kind of people live in these houses. Its a matter of taste though.
well i havent listened to anything from IANADOAC onward, even though people claim that album to be good, i've just sort of lost interest. it all just seems a bit contrived at this point. i do really like those first three songs you mentioned though. i dont know the other two.

Does anyone think it might be "shit on Ginsberg" instead of "sit on Ginsberg?" Kerouac did say unkind things about Ginsberg after he cracked up, and made comments about Jews controlling the arts and being communist plants. He seemed to have turned on his old friend. Whereas "sit on Ginsberg" is kind of weird, though these are not Morrissey's best lyrics, so it could well be "sit."

I heard ‘sit’ first, and thought it could be ‘shit’ as well, but it’s a bit strong if paired with the line before, which I believe is ‘borrow Burroughs’ but I also thought it could be ‘burrow Burroughs’ which in a poetic way could be pointing to a sexual act.

Good point. Coming after "borrow Burroughs," "sit on Ginsberg" makes sense as "sit on the shoulders of a giant." Perhaps Morrissey thinks Kerouac was a lesser Beat.

Perhaps Morrissey thinks Kerouac was a lesser Beat.
Unlikely, as Pretty Girls Make Graves was ripped from a line in The Dharma Bums and Jack was used on the cover of the 2017 live Smiths concert.

Also, I mean, without Jack none of those other dudes would even be a thing. Jack started everything and he was the center of everything. Yeah some of those other guys were pretty great too but let's be honest, without Jack there would be no Beat Generation.

Back
Top Bottom