Kerouac's Crack lyrics

M

Mozzypaws

Can anyone decipher the lyrics to this thing? I love the beat and the tune, but can only understand maybe half if that of the song...

Sha la la la
Sha la la la
Oooh oh oh
Sha la la la
????

Oh Jack, oh Jack
Oh sweet baby Jack
Everything keeps? ... must have ..??
*this entire verse I can't make out*

Sha la la la
Sha la la la
Sit on a window?
Sha la la la

Oh Jack...
47 years is enough time to live?
Anything more or less... lyric goes on but I can't figure it out

He mentions Ginsberg in there à la Neal Cassady Drops Dead.

Ketamine tried her hand at it here:

Kerouac’s Crack lyrics.

Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la,
Tra la la la, tra la la la, tra la la la

Just walking along, tra la la la,
Oh Jack, oh Jack, oh sweet baby Jack,
Everything he writes down must have instant attack

Anything less would only make him crack,
Any less would only make him crack, only make him crack

Tra la la la, tra la la la,
Borrow Burroughs,
Sit on Ginsburg, tra la la la,
Oh Jack, oh Jack, oh sweet baby Jack,
47 years is enough time to live

Anything more would only make him crack ,
Anymore would only make him crack, crack, crack, only make him crack

Tra la la la, tra la la la,
Coney Island,
Sloppy sailers,
Tra la la la,
He better not hear

Tra la la la
Moved it here, couldn’t make much out . thanks Ryan .,,,

I took a stab at it, or all that I think I hear off my iPhone speakers and not the best audio…. what do ya think ?

Sha la la la
Just walking around

oh Jack oh Jack oh sweet baby Jack

everything he writes down must have instant attack

(and if he … next word … oh he maybe crack…???)

Sha la la la
borrow Burroughs (?)

Sha la la la
sit on Ginsberg

Oh Jack …..

47 years is a half time to live

( and if… back forwards.. maybe back back back ???)

Sha la la la..
Coney Island

Sha la la la..
swapping sailors

(Pleasant park din???) lol.

This is dire stuff. It seems he often doesn’t even try anymore.

great title too. i love titles that make me think of hairy asses.

isnt it time moz stopped being such a horndog? or is it because he didnt act on his desires in his youth that now we're going to have to hear about them forever? *sigh*

Tra la la la

think your right. doh::lbf:

Which makes me think of ….

• Tralala: The title character of an earlier Selby short story, she is a young Brooklyn prostitute who makes a living propositioning sailors in bars and stealing their money. In perhaps the novel's most notorious scene, she is brutally gang-raped after a night of heavy drinking. She is left for dead in a vacant lot and ends up most likely dying.

The book where Morrissey got the title “The Queen is Dead”.

think your right. doh::lbf:

Which makes me think of ….

• Tralala: The title character of an earlier Selby short story, she is a young Brooklyn prostitute who makes a living propositioning sailors in bars and stealing their money. In perhaps the novel's most notorious scene, she is brutally gang-raped after a night of heavy drinking. She is left for dead in a vacant lot and ends up most likely dying.

The book where Morrissey got the title “The Queen is Dead”.
makes me think of

!!!!

Indeed. This is absolutely terrible. Keroac's Crack is an awful and unpromising title and the lyrics manage to add absolutely nothing to with. It's only two and a half minutes but still drags on too long.

It's a catchy little throwaway pop song, a la "Dagenham Dave", to juxtapose some of the heavier stuff on the album, like "Oblivion". I don't think we're supposed to take a song like this very seriously!

It's a catchy little throwaway pop song, a la "Dagenham Dave", to juxtapose some of the heavier stuff on the album, like "Oblivion". I don't think we're supposed to take a song like this very seriously!
Dagenham Dave is Larkin in comparison.

Yes, it’s seems like the first half of the album is (broadly) a poppier affair than the second, which seems a lot more personal and dark from what we’ve heard thus far.

“Kerouac” is currently tied for being my least favourite track with “Rebels” but that doesn’t mean I think they’re bad at all: they compliment each other for me, since I think the former has the more interesting and unique tune, while the latter has better lyrics.

The lyrics function here as intended. Given the frothy approach they don’t qualify as clunkers. It remains a matter of taste whether or not this track works for folk. It’s certainly quite catchy at least.

When I’m feeling generous, I try to remind myself about Morrissey’s approach to melody and his gift for this - even if his lyrics (deliberate or otherwise) tend towards the slight these days.

The lyrics don’t impair the melody - they seem to enable it.

We’re craving lyrics elsewhere though!

I think he's entitled to a nonsense song every once in a while, but I agree with you, it's getting more frequent, and this is terrible. There's so much about Kerouac as a song subject that renders this one a major disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom