Ken Dodd dies at age 90 (Morrissey's "favourite comedian" - 1984)

Ken Dodd, what a career he had, carrying on virtually right to the end. He married his partner of 40 years just 2 days ago.

(originally posted in the Book of Condolence Thread)

Posted by Famous when dead:

Morrissey - 3rd of March, 1984

42569_morrissey_ken_dodd_1984.jpg

Obituary: Sir Ken Dodd - BBC News
12 March 2018
His swept-up hair, protruding teeth and expression of lunatic bewilderment made Sir Ken Dodd one of Britain's most recognisable entertainers.

42570_ken_dodd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PROD-Ken-Dodd-at-the-BBC.jpg

Gutted about Ken.
Saw him once, he was epic.
Funny without being vile, hard working and down to earth.
He got one of the loudest cheers at the Palladium list reading.
RIP Doddie.
FWD.

Last edited:
Ken Dodd was my favourite as a very young kid. My Mum bought me to see him but decided it was filth and didn't have him on the telly again. Of course as a youngster whatever filth there was went straight over my head.

Ken Dodd was my favourite as a very young kid. My Mum bought me to see him but decided it was filth and didn't have him on the telly again. Of course as a youngster whatever filth there was went straight over my head.
Funny in this day and age to think of Ken Dodd as filth! How far we've come (and some would say not always in the right direction). I was surprised by how genuinely funny he continued to be right to the end, although I don't think I could have sat through a 4 hour show for anybody. And like Bob Monkhouse, Paul Merton (and probably countless others), a comedy obsessive. RIP Doddie, a true original.

Just recently Ken had been in hospital with a chest infection. There was a very very touching moment on the regional news when North West Tonight news presenter Rodger Johnson did an interview with Ken sat up in his hospital bed, Rodger told Ken how the whole of the region were thinking of him and wishing him back to good health, just for a brief moment Ken was speechless and had tears in his eyes. I'll never forget that. He wasn't just a comedian though he had a lovely singing voice. So glad I got to see him.
I can't see Ken Dodd resting in peace to be honest so keep up the good work Sir Ken. Tatty bye.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

I saw Doddy in pantomime in Manchester one year, after it had finished he thanked everyone for coming said the show was over but if anyone wanted to stay he'd do some stand up, very few left and he did at least an hours worth of his show after, he said he'd had the ushers lock us in so if you decide to stop your stopping. I'm convinced he only came off stage because the theatre management made him, they didn't drag him off but I don't think it would have been long. Wonderful character.

I've only been the victim of a creepy doll guy like that once as a kid and for most people it is clowns but for me it is people like that.

42525_20180312_145142-min.jpg

Morrissey - 3rd of March, 1984.
Regards,
FWD.

In marrying two days before his death he also managed another dig in the ribs to his long term adversary the tax man. Good for him.

As I wrote over on the “What song..?” thread although I didn’t care for Sir Ken’s comedy he himself was a truly fascinating man. He was an authority on the works of Dickens and he himself could have walked straight out of the pages of The Pickwick Papers or The Old Curiosity Shop.

A lot of celebrity deaths in the UK this week. Doddy, Hawking, Jim Bowen, Jamie Carragher’s career...

Ken Dodd was a brilliant comedian could show most so called "comedians" how it was to be done funny without having to swear last of the Music hall greats. We will never see his like again.

In marrying two days before his death he also managed another dig in the ribs to his long term adversary the tax man. Good for him.

As I wrote over on the “What song..?” thread although I didn’t care for Sir Ken’s comedy he himself was a truly fascinating man. He was an authority on the works of Dickens and he himself could have walked straight out of the pages of The Pickwick Papers or The Old Curiosity Shop.

A lot of celebrity deaths in the UK this week. Doddy, Hawking, Jim Bowen, Jamie Carragher’s career...

At least Stephen Hawking can help solve the riddle as to why it took Jim Bowen around 5 minutes to count out £47 on Bullseye

I remember Morrissey giving Ken some references at Palladium gigs in the past - with 'Happiness' played on the intro tape, and spelled out on the bass drum head.

One of the last true music hall artists. Was enjoying some stand up of his on the telly a couple of nights ago. Mentioned Ali Baba and the 40 VAT men!! Very underrated singer as well. We played happiness at my aunt's funeral.

Third highest selling single of the whole of the 60s,beatles were one and two,now that is some going.sad to see him tired and thin at the end but gave a lot of people a lot of laughs over the decades.r.i.p. ken.

the song was TEARS if anyones interested.

He’s sadly not known at all in the USA, but I remember seeing him in Kenneth Branagh’s take on Hamlet where Ken played Yorick in a flashback. I was intrigued enough by him to look his work up at the time. He seems like a kind man and that he had a life well lived.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom