Just started listening to Morrissey

nigel2smooth

Hi everyone just joined this forum,so thought would post my thoughts on Morrissey..Only really started to listen to his stuff and lovin it so far..A year or so ago I never had one Morrissey song in my collection and never give him any thought,then one day a workmate lent me CD called the best of the Smiths so listened to that and was hooked love the Smiths stuff...So after listened to that give his solo stuff ago only two albums I have is Years of Refusal and Vauxhall and I,I think years of refusal is better...

So mainly came on here to see if could get advise on other good Morrissey stuff to get or even the smiths stuff,as I said I only have the best of smiths CD with all thier top hits,maybe on here someone would know a good smiths album with other good songs that is not on the best of album..Just ordered Morrissey live in manchester DVD heard is good..

You ask for other good Morrissey and Smiths stuff...well I have to tell you the "harsh truth", everything by Morrissey is amazing, so you better get all of it! :thumb:
Maybe you could buy "Hatful of Hollow" next and take it from there, that's where things really kicked off for me.

And yeah, even though I'm also relatively new here, I of course welcome you as well! :)

Once you start you'll need everything soon ;)
but to start with, hatful of hollow, as suggested, would be a good idea and maybe the suedehead best of morrissey album may be a good one for you too?

welcome. im addicted to Morrissey since The Smiths. :thumb:

I envy you.

If you liked Years of Refusal, I'd recommend Your Arsenal: the opening track will blow you away. :guitar:

Welcome aboard.

Get it all mate but if you have to get one collection of songs then get "Bona Drag". It's Morrissey's solo singles and B sides that he did between Viva Hate and Kill Uncle (including 2 singles from Viva Hate) and is by a lot of fans including me his hey day.

Enjoy :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bona_Drag

hi nigel2smooth, Just take it slow, buy from amazon as it's quite cheap, work your way back through his albums. It's very interesting to read your opinion as a new fan. I too love years of refusal:guitar:

Morrissey said, each album is about his life then (someone will have the quote)
enjoy:D

Thanks everyone for the info and advice you all seem a friendly lot lol.

It is kinda strange I am only discovering Morrissey now,I mean say 3 years ago I bearly even knew who he was,all I knew was that the He was in some 80s band called the Smiths...I am 30 years old so I suppsoe in genral I am quite young to be into Morrisseys music..But when my workmate lent me best of Smiths cd was hooked,even my mates got hooked my little bro loves lot of Smiths/Morrissey stuff now aswell.

I think according to the threads above Bona Drag could be good so will order that next,Any one have the Morrissey M in Manchester DVD I ordered it from Sendit looking forward to get it as couple songs I like on it...

So far after couple years of Listening to Smiths/Morrissey thought would list my fave songs below..

The Smiths...Faves are...A rush and a push and the land is ours,Heaven knows I am Miserable,Shelia take a Bow,Shoplifters of the world,Light that never goes out,Girlfriend in a Coma,Panic,What Difference does it make..

Morrissey...Hairdresser on Fire,Now my heart is Full,Everyday is like sunday,Sudehead,Sunny,First of the Gang to die,Speedway,Picadilly Palarie.Throwing my arms around Paris,I"am ok by myself.

That is so far my fave tunes ,I am sure I could think of quite a few more but them my faves..I really love Hairdresser on fire and Rush and a push and the land is ours lol cant stop listening to them 2 tunes at moment lol..

Thanks everyone for the info and advice you all seem a friendly lot lol.

It is kinda strange I am only discovering Morrissey now,I mean say 3 years ago I bearly even knew who he was,all I knew was that the He was in some 80s band called the Smiths...I am 30 years old so I suppsoe in genral I am quite young to be into Morrisseys music..

Wouldn't be too sure about that...

But when my workmate lent me best of Smiths cd was hooked,even my mates got hooked my little bro loves lot of Smiths/Morrissey stuff now aswell.

I think according to the threads above Bona Drag could be good so will order that next,Any one have the Morrissey M in Manchester DVD I ordered it from Sendit looking forward to get it as couple songs I like on it...
Excellent live DVD. Particularly Jack the Ripper and Headmaster Ritual. The extra footage from the Move Festival in 2004 isn't the best quality but the 'emotion' from the crowd and Moz brought a little tear to my eye.

So far after couple years of Listening to Smiths/Morrissey thought would list my fave songs below..

The Smiths...Faves are...A rush and a push and the land is ours,Heaven knows I am Miserable,Shelia take a Bow,Shoplifters of the world,Light that never goes out,Girlfriend in a Coma,Panic,What Difference does it make..

Morrissey...Hairdresser on Fire,Now my heart is Full,Everyday is like sunday,Sudehead,Sunny,First of the Gang to die,Speedway,Picadilly Palarie.Throwing my arms around Paris,I"am ok by myself.

That is so far my fave tunes ,I am sure I could think of quite a few more but them my faves..I really love Hairdresser on fire and Rush and a push and the land is ours lol cant stop listening to them 2 tunes at moment lol..

Once you start buying Moz/Smiths albums you will soon realise that you need to have them all. That said, I've been listening to him for 7 years and only got round to buying Maladjusted last month. Illegal downloading (if you were partial to such things) is a good way to "try out" albums before buying them. Apparently.

Morrissey...Hairdresser on Fire,Now my heart is Full..

You have good taste. :thumb:

Hairdresser on Fire is wonderful. Vini Reilly's feline guitars, pounding drums that always remind me of Pretty Woman (the song, not the prostitution-can-be-fun movie)...

Now My Heart is Full is my favourite Morrissey track. Full stop. Including The Smiths' recordings. Everything about that song works perfectly for me: lyrics, melody, rhythm, vocals, instrumentation, production... everything.

This is the perfect opportunity for me to advertise the 'beginners discography' at "Passions Just Like Mine" (link below).

Just click on 'official recordings' then 'new fan's discography'.

cheers,
Stephane

and the beat goes on...i would listen to The Queen IS DEad by the smiths right away....
then Meat is Murder...Those are my two favs.

Back
Top Bottom