Just listened to I Am Not A Dog On A Chain in full

lutewhine

Watermarked copy, so no I can’t and won’t share.

I used to do really long, rambling breakdowns of his albums, but can’t be arsed these days as I’ve been apathetic since YOR and to be honest wasn’t looking forward to it.

Verdict: it’s actually fairly good. Maybe a 6.5/10?

Highs: Once I Saw The River Clean is the most autobiographical-sounding track he’s done since Late Night, Maudlin Street. Quite interesting lyrically with reference to time spent with a grandmother. Irish roots are a recurring theme.

Other highs: Jim Jim Falls is a good opener, title track is nice, What Kind Of People Live In These Houses, My Hurling Days Are Done ... both good songs.

Lows: Love Is On Its Way Out is comfortably the worst track on it. Some really, really awful lyrics elsewhere too. Quite a lot of filler. Most of the tracks have the title as the first line, hammering home that he comes up with the titles before knowing anything else about the song.

The 80s synths and guitar are less jarring than you might expect, but to be honest get a bit wearing after a while. Beyond a point it’s like they’re being used to make a point. Lots of meandering instrumental breaks, and not much thought to outros.

The Secret Of Music is quite cute when Moz is singing, with weird, childlike lyrics describing various instruments. Unfortunately there must be 5 mins+ when he’s not singing, and those bits are utterly tedious.

Example lyrics I picked up on first listen:
“Childish mind anticipates, grown-up mind consummates” (Once I Saw The River Clean)

“What kind of people live in these houses
T-shirts or blouses, torn jeans or proper trousers
They vote the way they vote
They don’t know how to change
Because their parents did the same”
“Grabbing in your cabin ... smelling in their dwelling” (What Kind Of People ...)

Last edited:
I’m not posting full lyrics for anything as that’s a shithouse trick. First bit of the title track though...

I am not a dog on a chain
I use my own brain
I can turn the conversation off
I’m too clever to be robbed
Thanks all the same
I have patience and I have time
Both of which are mine

Last edited:
What do you think of The Truth About Ruth and Darling, I Hug A Pillow?

Darling I Hug A Pillow is nice but has a horrible cheap horn bit between verses which makes it hard to take seriously.

The Truth About Ruth has nice piano backing and begins: “I am a sleuth ... I dig up the truth.”
To a point you can probably fill in some of the rest yourself, but I’d be surprised if you guessed all the lyrics.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that. I actually really enjoy ‘Love is on its way out’ so I don’t know what to make of the rest of your review. I guess I’ll find out for my self in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing that. I actually really enjoy ‘Love is on its way out’ so I don’t know what to make of the rest of your review. I guess I’ll find out for my self in a few weeks.

It’s the “elephants and lions” bit. Just ... no.

I’m not posting full lyrics for anything as that’s a shithouse trick. First bit of the title track though...

I use my own brain
I can turn the conversation off
I’m too clever to be robbed
Thanks all the same
I have patience and I have time
Both of which are mine

Nice one!

It’s a significantly gentler tune than I’d assumed from the title, and the melody’s kind of like “I. am. not. a. dog. on. a-chain”
What do you think of the other 2 songs that have been released, ‘Bobby’ and ‘Knockabout World’?

It’s the “elephants and lions” bit. Just ... no.

It doesn't bother me now. He likes animals. It's sweet.

It sounds like he's drifting back to his 1960s childhood with this one. With a wee bit of defensiveness but no diatribes.

Wooow. I am truly curious to listen this album."Love is in it's way out" reminds me of those onirical songs as "I'd love to" and "You've had her". I enjoy it.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds sobering. How do you classify IANADOAC in the context of the previous 3 studio albums with Chiccarelli?
P.S.
Ok, you answered that with the ROTT reference.

Last edited:
It’s probably his best album since ROTT. From me that’s not saying much, however.

Shows the pointlessness of these comparisons. ROTT was awful. Plodding, empty naff indie at its worst.
And kegs between legs is the worst lyric of all time.
Refusal and World Peace were miles better.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds sobering. How do you classify IANADOAC in the context of the previous 3 studio albums with Chiccarelli?

I’ve found everything from You Are The Quarry onwards extremely weak overall. Years Of Refusal is probably his career nadir, I’ve more or less ignored California Son and only really liked two tracks from each of the other two.

6.5 out of 10 hardly makes it a great album......sounds like more of the last proper one.
Yes, but do you agree with Luke Wine's assessment of the songs (or previous albums) that you already know? I think 'Love Is On The Way Out' is a great little song - if that's the worst thing on there, as Luke claims, we're in for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom