Just listened to I Am Not A Dog On A Chain in full

Yes they are.

Real string sections?

Didn’t notice any, but that’s not to say they’re not on there. There are various horrible cheap-sounding synth instruments in the mix though, the aforementioned brass the most jarring of the lot. Reminded me of an 80s Yamaha keyboard I used to have.

Yes, but do you agree with Luke Wine's assessment of the songs (or previous albums) that you already know? I think 'Love Is On The Way Out' is a great little song - if that's the worst thing on there, as Luke claims, we're in for a treat.

I think "Bobby"...with TH......is pretty naff to be honest. The one about the animals has some really lame lyrics......LIOTWO.......is ok but nothing special.

Didn’t notice any, but that’s not to say they’re not on there. There are various horrible cheap-sounding synth instruments in the mix though, the aforementioned brass the most jarring of the lot. Reminded me of an 80s Yamaha keyboard I used to have.

Perhaps they didn't have the budget this time to hire real string and brass sections, the relationship with BMG not being very good anymore. It's a pity though, not a fan of synthetic horns myself.

If the last 3 track's instrumentation credits are accurate, there is orchestra, diverse real instruments, horns and strings.
Recording in France and finishing in Sunset, guest vocalists...not indicative of a shoestring budget either?
Regards,
FWD.

If the last 3 track's instrumentation credits are accurate, there is orchestra, diverse real instruments, horns and strings.
Recording in France and finishing in Sunset, guest vocalists...not indicative of a shoestring budget either?
Regards,
FWD.
Glad to hear that ! Can take back my comment?

Yet more evidence that John Shuttleworth is involved on keyboards.
I told you so as soon as I heard Knockabout World.
Be good to see Can’t Go Back To Dairy on the set list.

?? :knife:

Thank you for the review. My biggest fear are those synthetic horns, I honestly think they drag KW down quite significantly in that middle 8.
Was hoping for some righteous anger this time time round!

It remains a mystery to me that Roger Manning, as a studio musician, plays the role he is playing here. His playing at Jellyfish was excellent. Rich in textures, referring to the Beatles and Beach Boys. Jellyfish had the warmest and most homogeneous vintage sound (and real strings) you could find in the early 90s. Although he's been a permanent part of the studio crew for a couple of years now, he seems to act completely as a session and contract worker. Unfortunately, the bad keyboard sound is probably mainly Manzur's work.

its all subjective,someones 6/5 out of ten is someone elses 9/10.make your own mind up on the 20th.
have to laugh as well,its watermarked,every FOR YOUR CONSIDERATON copy of all Oscars films are watermarked and I watched every best picture months before Oscars night.

its all subjective,someones 6/5 out of ten is someone elses 9/10.make your own mind up on the 20th.
have to laugh as well,its watermarked,every FOR YOUR CONSIDERATON copy of all Oscars films are watermarked and I watched every best picture months before Oscars night.

You’re a loner, Gordy...a rebel.

The “teams” who leak these things do go to some lengths to cover their tracks though. Granted, I’m not sure the new Morrissey album is up there with the latest Star Wars film in terms of potential industry damage.

But yeah, somebody stick it on an anonymous Dropbox account please and let’s have a listening party before we all succumb to this darn virus.

It doesn't bother me now. He likes animals. It's sweet.

It sounds like he's drifting back to his 1960s childhood with this one. With a wee bit of defensiveness but no diatribes.

Grow a pair. Tits? Balls? ...but grow a pair.
"it's sweet" WTF? Are you always this f***ing condescending?

Try to leave animals out of your comments. You come over as a badger-baiting, meat-eating granny that goes "Awww cute" when she sees puppies being sold for profit in an old-stlye pet shop window.

The “teams” who leak these things do go to some lengths to cover their tracks though. Granted, I’m not sure the new Morrissey album is up there with the latest Star Wars film in terms of potential industry damage.

But yeah, somebody stick it on an anonymous Dropbox account please and let’s have a listening party before we all succumb to this darn virus.
From memory LIHS didn’t leak until about week before the release. I have a feeling this one won’t at all. Maybe it’s still too early but with the lack of reviews so far, it doesn’t seem like many people actually have a copy.

Back
Top Bottom