Julie Hamill YT: "Q&A with Andrew Paresi & Stephen Street re: Viva Hate/Morrissey" (May 3, 2023)

Screenshot_20230503-191602~2.png

Street clarifies co-writes.
Paresi recalls the "Inject Yourself" (Melanie) story.
Regards,
FWD.

good to get a bit more insight on melanie.well done julie,a good night was had by all.

View attachment 90797

Street clarifies co-writes.
Paresi recalls the "Inject Yourself" (Melanie) story.
Regards,
FWD.

Never heard it mentioned before, or forgot, but nice to hear about the inspiration for Break Up, thank you Lionel ! :lbf: (y)

It’s known that Street’s bass line for Alsatian was inspired by ‘White Lines’. But that’s probably okay considering that those in Grandmaster Flash took the bass line from the band Liquid Liquid …

‘Some of the lyrics in "White Lines" ("something like a phenomenon") echoed lyrics from the song "Cavern" by Liquid Liquid ("slip in and out of phenomenon"), in addition to the note-by-note appropriation of the bass line from "Cavern" with a rapping track overlaid. Sugar Hill did not get proper clearance to use "Cavern," resulting in years of lawsuits, ultimately in Liquid Liquid's favor. As a result of the $600,000 judgment against Sugar Hill, the label declared bankruptcy to circumvent paying the judgment.’

Last edited:
Street's use of the Housequake sample in Maudlin Street is quite inspired.
He was clearly calling on all sorts of influences and that probably speaks as to why the album still sounds great.
FWD.

Listening to it now, guess he sampled the snare &/or kick drum from that Prince song (?)

Not doubting it, because the sound is similar, but was this ever confirmed by Street?
He's cited via a 2003 interview with Goddard as confirming said:

"Street nominates Vini REILLY’s added piano flourishes as ‘making it even more special’, also admitting the sharp drum beat underpinning the track was sampled from ‘Housequake’ off Prince’s recent Sign O’ The Times album (rather apt since Prince, like Morrissey, was a similarly besotted Joni fan). ‘Late Night, Maudlin Street’ was finally played in concert in 2002, with Morrissey dedicating its rendition at London’s Royal Albert Hall that September to the late actress Katrin CARTLIDGE."

& this popped up on Twitter:

Screenshot_20230503-224220.png

Regards,
FWD.

Thanks, yeah the Joni connection is cool to note also.
He's cited via a 2003 interview with Goddard as confirming said:

"Street nominates Vini REILLY’s added piano flourishes as ‘making it even more special’, also admitting the sharp drum beat underpinning the track was sampled from ‘Housequake’ off Prince’s recent Sign O’ The Times album (rather apt since Prince, like Morrissey, was a similarly besotted Joni fan). ‘Late Night, Maudlin Street’ was finally played in concert in 2002, with Morrissey dedicating its rendition at London’s Royal Albert Hall that September to the late actress Katrin CARTLIDGE."

& this popped up on Twitter:

View attachment 90807
Regards,
FWD.

Fair play to him for publicly distancing himself from Morrissey's treatment of the butchered 'Viva Hate' reissue. Has probably nixed any chance of a future collaboration, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Yes the most cynical of us can see these events as sad moments of clinging to Morrissey nostalgia but I personally love things like this. They are a necessary contrast to Morrissey's aloofness where he plays his cards so close to his chest that we are left clinging to mystery that one has to admit does have an expiration date.

Stephen Street seems not to only to be a cool straight up and down guy but I'd go as far as calling him one of my heroes. How could he not be when it was he who bridged the gap between the death of The Smiths and Morrissey's solo rebirth? When you want to help along a new Morrissey fan looking for an album to get their teeth into you hand them Viva Hate and you know they're in good hands.

Now that Alain Whyte has found his Morrissey homecoming to be less than adequate I now find myself pining for for an even more unrealistic reunion. You know the one I'm talking about ;)

I wish somebody had asked about the aborted Peel Session. And if there was much deliberation over the track listing of VH. Also I wish the three of them had been given chairs!

I wish somebody had asked about the aborted Peel Session. And if there was much deliberation over the track listing of VH. Also I wish the three of them had been given chairs!
Hold that thought for 2024! The Mozarmy Meet seems like a lively enthused event.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom