Julie Burchill article in "Spiked" - "Why I still love Morrissey, despite our feud" (January 28, 2022)

A typically entertaining article from the half-crazed mind of Julie Burchill, in defence of Morrissey.

The last few lines:

"Do I agree with everything Morrissey says? No. Does this make me want him vanished? No, because I am not a pathetic scaredy cat, frightened of views different from mine. Morrissey is a niggly, narcissistic diva – but he is also one of the greatest pop stars ever to have graced Planet Earth with his presence, and that’s all that counts."

Julie Burchill is a professional wind-up merchant - she's deliberately offensive and 'outrageous', that's the whole draw. She was hugely popular in her early days too, one of Moz' early heroes.

Her whole schtick just does nothing for me - to me she's just a self-indulgent narcissist, someone who fetishizes and appropriates other communities with no respect (look up her philosemitism and faux-lesbian posturing), someone who feuds with and trashes her ex-husbands, someone with no humility. Even when talking about something horrific (her son committed suicide), she comes across self-absorbed - "Finally I peeled his drowning fingers off me and saved myself." It might be cooked up to create "outrage" but it's not my thing at all.
That seems like a very accurate assessment of Burchill. I've read her autobiography and a collection of articles some time in the nineties -- and while obviously she is a very talented and often funny writer, there's something very ugly in all her work. I went back and read her very long Morrissey "interview" in 1994, which she managed to make the whole article's point that she dared to be rude to her hero. That overshadowed the positive things she wrote about Morrissey.

A typically entertaining article from the half-crazed mind of Julie Burchill, in defence of Morrissey.

The last few lines:

"Do I agree with everything Morrissey says? No. Does this make me want him vanished? No, because I am not a pathetic scaredy cat, frightened of views different from mine. Morrissey is a niggly, narcissistic diva – but he is also one of the greatest pop stars ever to have graced Planet Earth with his presence, and that’s all that counts."
With friends like these…

She seems to be one of these people who have the talent to make judge-mental moralists on their pedestals look revealingly mediocre.

Who will come to his defence next? Styxhexenhammer666, Tommy Robinson or Nigel Farage - place your bets! :p

Burchill can't get published properly due to people thinking she's a racist.

That's just by the way. I can't think why she's interested in defending Moz.

It was the transphobia row in 2013 that derailed her career.

It's also the year that her type of scathing hyperbolic comedy writing went out of fashion. Previously she'd been adored for her outrageous opinions.

She got back when the War On Woke kicked off in the mainstream press - then got cast out when she got drunk & slagged off Ash Sarkar for being a Muslim on Twitter.

None of her friends defended her in public, and a couple turned on her for the Twitter clout.

I think it's given her a greater appreciation of just how strong willed Morrissey has had to be to keep going in the face of relentless disapproval.

I totally agree with Julie Burchill on this, except for the niggly, narcissistic diva bit.

All real artists are "narcissistic" and ultrasensitive beings. Otherwise, how could they contemplate their inner world so deeply so as to translate their findings into actual physical pieces of art transcending space and time?

As it happens with any great artist, Morrissey's personality isn't easy to grasp when looked at superficially, since he's a multifaceted and complex man. Therefore, some of his critics usually take the easy path by reducing him to a few of his traits and opinions. However, they can't seem to shake off the fascination he exudes. No one who's got in contact with Morrissey's beautiful creations can.

I equate some of Morrissey's songs with Van Gogh's Starry Night.

In the world of music as art, Morrissey is my Van Gogh.

I totally agree with Julie Burchill on this, except for the niggly, narcissistic diva bit.

All real artists are "narcissistic" and ultrasensitive beings. Otherwise, how could they contemplate their inner world so deeply so as to translate their findings into actual physical pieces of art transcending space and time?

As it happens with any great artist, Morrissey's personality isn't easy to grasp when looked at superficially, since he's a multifaceted and complex man. Therefore, some of his critics usually take the easy path by reducing him to a few of his traits and opinions. However, they can't seem to shake off the fascination he exerts. No one who's got in contact with Morrissey's beautiful creations can.

I equate some of Morrissey's songs with Van Gogh's Starry Night.

In the world of music as art, Morrissey is my Van Gogh.

Correcting: in my comment I actually meant exert and not exude.

Sorry, Brazilian fan...

I know what you're saying (I can't think of a more painfully English band than The Smiths), but that's a bit unkind. Music is universal. I know nothing about what it's like to be a Jewish guy growing up in New York, but I still love Paul Simon.
I wasn't talking about "simply " music . . In fact the post you are talking about was hardly about music at all.

So your whole " Music is universal " point, although true.. Is not relevant
Our shared love of M, is rarely just about Music.

News flash, I didn't think you were in a back garden in Hackney with a colt 45 aimed into a barrel of fish saying "You talking about M" either

Im not Tommy Robson, Im not standing near my record player with union Jack underwear
saying " Only the lonely British are allowed here"

That was not the point I was making . I was talking simply and only about the world we brits live in, people that exist in it and what they mean, do not mean to us.
I don't pretend to know what the inner workings and politic of Perth are.

I am not saying they do not "connect" with the music , I am not saying some don't feel aliened to M.
That being said, The Smiths were a band loaded to the hilt with British reference points based on lived experience, that you do not get if you are a Mexican , who has never called a "sickie" and watched Cash In The Attic on a cold winter English afternoon.

You can clearly see even when lots of Americans ( and yes I do a straw poll after every Morrissey gig) are told a reference point . they miss the point by a large fly over state.

Heres an example,-you get these Smiths fans in their 40s , they just discover kitchen sink films.. but they do not understand them, they do not relate. They just see is as a cool " hey i love this film M does" . Its pathetic. Loads even think Suffer Little Children, is a M Manson serial killer type song.

It can seem like I am being cruel, I am not, just because I am a fan of Dolly Paton and buy a Cowboy hat, it doesn't mean i suddenly understand every reference point and impulse of a your average Texan.

Very fashionable at the moment,
So I’ve heard
Don't wanna belittle other folk's achievements, but I have to correct myself here. It's actually three feuds we are in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhhh!!!! Moz does not fight Moz seeks, Johnny does not fight Johnny seeks, both with these behaviors want to meet again, (perhaps unconscious) phrase made: life is short, I hope that before their souls leave the physical body they give each other a hug, that they reflect and expand their consciousnesses! Whether or not they join in singing and playing Where there was magic and ardio the flame of creativity, there can be no destruction, only creation, Put aside your egos, expand consciousness! Now.Whoever wants to hear, let him hear!!!!

That being said, The Smiths were a band loaded to the hilt with British reference points based on lived experience, that you do not get if you are a Mexican , who has never called a "sickie" and watched Cash In The Attic on a cold winter English afternoon.
True, but if a bright enough Peruvian youth on a student exchange programme chances on the Antiques Roadshow a couple of times, honestly that's all they need to know to survive in England for six months.
All it takes is interest and motivation.
You probably could become an expert on French toast in a couple of week-ends yourself. It's been done before, just ask Peter Hook!

It can seem like I am being cruel, I am not, just because I am a fan of Dolly Paton
I see that you like your generals big-bosomed... :p

...The thing I find most bizarre with Morrissey (there's actually a list) is how, as evidenced by the interview with Mrs B., he seems unable to go anywhere by himself, how he always has to have some dude with him. Almost like...like he needs someone to hold it for him.
:straightface:
The door. (The door that Mrs B. slammed in his boyfriend's face.)
Like...Like he can't stand on his own two feet.
Whereas Johnny...Well Johnny could run a marathon with his legs crossed
(see how I took M's innuendo and turned it into a sports reference there? You ask yourself, how can it be done? Well it only took 120 hours of watching "bat in the attic" to get to that level.)

Reminds me of that time when Morrissey went abroad for an interview (oh the adventure!), He said he had no phony Christmas message to deliver. That's probably why he took one of the four horsemen with him, instead of going alone...

Yep. He introduced us to Jesse Pestilence that day.

Nobody was glad he was there, but Morrissey couldn't face it on his own. :rolleyes:

Burchill can't get published properly due to people thinking she's a racist.

That's just by the way. I can't think why she's interested in defending Moz.
In all honesty, and seriousness, I’ve not met anyone who’s described Burchill as racist. Ever. Not once. Ever. Maybe it’s just you?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom