Julie Burchill article in "Spiked" - "Why I still love Morrissey, despite our feud" (January 28, 2022)

A typically entertaining article from the half-crazed mind of Julie Burchill, in defence of Morrissey.

The last few lines:

"Do I agree with everything Morrissey says? No. Does this make me want him vanished? No, because I am not a pathetic scaredy cat, frightened of views different from mine. Morrissey is a niggly, narcissistic diva – but he is also one of the greatest pop stars ever to have graced Planet Earth with his presence, and that’s all that counts."

So yes, I could go and read up on her, but that wouldn’t tell me the reasons why you don’t like her.
Which was my initial question to you.
Julie Burchill is a professional wind-up merchant - she's deliberately offensive and 'outrageous', that's the whole draw. She was hugely popular in her early days too, one of Moz' early heroes.

Her whole schtick just does nothing for me - to me she's just a self-indulgent narcissist, someone who fetishizes and appropriates other communities with no respect (look up her philosemitism and faux-lesbian posturing), someone who feuds with and trashes her ex-husbands, someone with no humility. Even when talking about something horrific (her son committed suicide), she comes across self-absorbed - "Finally I peeled his drowning fingers off me and saved myself." It might be cooked up to create "outrage" but it's not my thing at all.

I know what you're saying (I can't think of a more painfully English band than The Smiths), but that's a bit unkind. Music is universal.

That for me and most likely others is one of the great draws to The Smiths.
So English that it is attractively alien to those that are not from England, it’s that difference that makes it all the more interesting.

In the same way music fans, and artists from England in the 50’s and 60’s were drawn to and inspired by
early American rock’n’roll and Blues.

And we wouldn’t have The Smiths
if Morrissey wasn’t infatuated with and related to the music coming out of America like the Dolls, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, etc

Imagine if someone penalized the young Morrissey for doing so.

I know nothing about what it's like to be a Jewish guy growing up in New York, but I still love Paul Simon.

Julie Burchill is a professional wind-up merchant - she's deliberately offensive and 'outrageous', that's the whole draw. She was hugely popular in her early days too, one of Moz' early heroes.

Her whole schtick just does nothing for me - to me she's just a self-indulgent narcissist, someone who fetishizes and appropriates other communities with no respect (look up her philosemitism and faux-lesbian posturing), someone who feuds with and trashes her ex-husbands, someone with no humility. Even when talking about something horrific (her son committed suicide), she comes across self-absorbed - "Finally I peeled his drowning fingers off me and saved myself." It might be cooked up to create "outrage" but it's not my thing at all.

Thank you, I see your point of view now, giving me a better understanding of your first post.

Wow, she sounds like quite the character. Maybe in someways that’s how she deals with things, especially in regards to her son’s death. It can’t be easy.

Last edited:
What does offerin' to make someone
"french toast" mean Ket?
I'm not Ket, but I can tell you it's the same thing as "toasted Morrissey". just replace vodka with milk and Morrissey with stale bread. (What? Turkey did ask!)
Even when talking about something horrific (her son committed suicide), she comes across self-absorbed - "Finally I peeled his drowning fingers off me and saved myself."
So, basically, another narcissist with dead offspring... How very common. :sleeping:
Shame, I thought she was funny.
Nothing like a dead son to cramp your style.

"Why I still love Morrissey, despite our Freud." :rolleyes:

Yeah? Well I just got Sigmund on the blower, and he's none too happy about that, Jules.

Incidentally, nice to know who Julie in the weeds was about, because I once toyed with the idea of watching the tv series to find out.:lbf:

...I also thought it was about Julia smoking too much pot, and I was pretty surprised.

Oh you know me I leave no stone unturned. You should hear my theories about "Carol".

I like the Pope. The Pope smokes, etc.

edit/ I did mean the Pope, but I just found out that there's a singer called Carole Pope, who has a single entitled...ah now Wiki you've got to be kidding me.

Last edited:
I'm not Ket, but I can tell you it's the same thing as "toasted Morrissey". just replace vodka with milk and Morrissey with stale bread. (What? Turkey did ask!)

So, basically, another narcissist with dead offspring... How very common. :sleeping:
Shame, I thought she was funny.
Nothing like a dead son to cramp your style.

Weren't what I was expectin'.

Last time someone asked me to make them french toast I think I got the wrong end of the stick, too, Wild T.

It's difficult and confusing, toast shouldn't have a national identity!

It must be somethin' interestin', cause Ketamine
seems intent on keepin' it a secret.

Weren't what I was expectin'.
That's normal. Bread is much more unpredictable than Morrissey.

Now, about that line, Jules...
"The faces have changed, but the wagging fingers remain the same."
Wouldn't you say it doesn't matter if the face changes, as long as the wagging tail remains the same? I'm guessing you wouldn't.
By the way, did you know Sam had an uncle who said some things are really best left unspoken, off the coast of Sweden?
Well there you go then.

Her timing is very much in the vein of gaining some notoriety off the story of the hour. If you didn't catch on to The Smiths until 1994 then go back to Sade. She is very lovely and very AC. Check out the new Adel record while you are at it. You had a fleeting moment ages ago with Morrissey. This is what I hate about modern media is that we all know that it's a game now and it's annoying when people game the system. I see that she has a book to promote. :brows:

To think that he would write a song about you all those years later is a bit narcissistic yourself.

BTW, what feud is she talking about? Sounds like an imaginary one to me. Wow, this person is a narcissist. I see that has been confirmed by several people her. She has made a living at it. If nobody else will claim "Julie In The Weeds" is about them then why not you, Julie? Rush to Wikipedia and cement it now before Julia Riley get's to it first!

Her timing is very much in the vein of gaining some notoriety off the story of the hour. If you didn't catch on to The Smiths until 1994 then go back to Sade. She is very lovely and very AC. Check out the new Adel record while you are at it. You had a fleeting moment ages ago with Morrissey. This is what I hate about modern media is that we all know that it's a game now and it's annoying when people game the system. I see that she has a book to promote. :brows:

To think that he would write a song about you all those years later is a bit narcissistic yourself.

So what you’re saying is, we should expect an open letter to Julie from Morrissey soon?

Just like Dave Halsam and Julie....Morrissey doesn't care! They are nobody's nothing!!

So what you’re saying is,
that both Dave and Julie have more in common then most would think, and that maybe Dave should offer her some French toast?

What JB writes is always worth reading. And I'm sure there is some truth in the idea that Moz is still a bit of a lonely teenager in his bedroom. If anyone hasn't read it already, her article about writing her new book - Welcome to the Woke Trials: How #Identity Killed Progressive Politics - is a hoot:

I'm currently reading 'Woke Up This Morning - the definitive oral history of The Sopranos'. Which is definitely not for the wailing whining wretched woke wankers.

Thanks..I didn't see the Jake bit in there. She is a horror in that article. So rude and off putting. She gets away with being horrible person dressed in men's clothing!

Ouch...a bit of racist as well.

Burchill can't get published properly due to people thinking she's a racist.

That's just by the way. I can't think why she's interested in defending Moz.

Back
Top Bottom