Julie Burchill article in "Spiked" - "Why I still love Morrissey, despite our feud" (January 28, 2022)

A typically entertaining article from the half-crazed mind of Julie Burchill, in defence of Morrissey.

The last few lines:

"Do I agree with everything Morrissey says? No. Does this make me want him vanished? No, because I am not a pathetic scaredy cat, frightened of views different from mine. Morrissey is a niggly, narcissistic diva – but he is also one of the greatest pop stars ever to have graced Planet Earth with his presence, and that’s all that counts."

Julie Burchill is a professional wind-up merchant - she's deliberately offensive and 'outrageous', that's the whole draw. She was hugely popular in her early days too, one of Moz' early heroes.

Her whole schtick just does nothing for me - to me she's just a self-indulgent narcissist, someone who fetishizes and appropriates other communities with no respect (look up her philosemitism and faux-lesbian posturing), someone who feuds with and trashes her ex-husbands, someone with no humility. Even when talking about something horrific (her son committed suicide), she comes across self-absorbed - "Finally I peeled his drowning fingers off me and saved myself." It might be cooked up to create "outrage" but it's not my thing at all.
Indeed. I once called out Julie Burchill for her racism on a BBC Radio 5 Live phone-in with Nicky Campbell, back in 1999. I pointed out that she'd called Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. “…a wide-eyed dreamer," Malcolm X “….all mouth and no trousers" and Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix "Uncle Toms" in her book 'Damaged Gods'.
On top of that, I then asked her for her view on what she thought about her ex-lover Charlotte Raven defending the Stephen Lawrence murder suspects in a Guardian article from Feb-March 1998. She was totally lost for words, stammering more than a bit in response and tried making a joke about how her "ex-husband (which one, eh?) made me write that.”
That the other guest on the phone-in that morning was the late Errol Brown from Hot Chocolate must have been even more embarrassing for her. She only writes for attention, but doesn’t take responsibility nor ownership of what’s published by her when made to face up to it and put on the spot.

Last edited:
I’m in the minority with ya. Never been on it in my life .
the best decision of your life is to resist the temptation, that is no temptation at all to the sane, of twitter.

it makes this place look like a meeting of rational well balanced individuals.

Bravo. 👏. If anything needs to be cancelled it's there. Your own personal cancelling. Like the Depeche Mode song.

Incidentally, nice to know who Julie in the weeds was about, because I once toyed with the idea of watching the tv series to find out.:lbf:

...I also thought it was about Julia smoking too much pot, and I was pretty surprised.

Oh you know me I leave no stone unturned. You should hear my theories about "Carol".

I like the Pope. The Pope smokes, etc.

edit/ I did mean the Pope, but I just found out that there's a singer called Carole Pope, who has a single entitled...ah now Wiki you've got to be kidding me.
Woof woof! I think you might be onto something here!

Indeed. I once called out Julie Burchill for her racism on a BBC Radio 5 Live phone-in with Nicky Campbell, back in 1999. I pointed out that she'd called Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. “…a wide-eyed dreamer," Malcolm X “….all mouth and no trousers" and Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix "Uncle Toms" in her book 'Damaged Gods'.
On top of that, I then asked her for her view on what she thought about her ex-lover Charlotte Raven defending the Stephen Lawrence murder suspects in a Guardian article from Feb-March 1998. She was totally lost for words, stammering more than a bit in response and tried making a joke about how her "ex-husband (which one, eh?) made me write that.”
That the other guest on the phone-in that morning was the late Errol Brown from Hot Chocolate must have been even more embarrassing for her. She only writes for attention, but doesn’t take responsibility nor ownership of what’s published by her when made to face up to it and put on the spot.
Sounds like she could be the next Tory Prime Minister.

Spoiler: she forgives moz for being cruel to her because she is also a racist.

‘When in turn Morrissey published his autobiography in 2013, he gave me a right going over. It didn’t bother me that he described me as fat and plain – I did become fat and plain, but I certainly wasn’t when he met me in my thirties, when I was well foxy – or even that he painted me as being a lonely spinster, whereas I lived in a gorgeous flat in Bloomsbury with my second husband and young son. Typically for a woman of working-class origin, it annoyed me most that he said my flat was dirty. It wasn’t dirty at all, I was extremely house proud – there was just a lot of cocaine everywhere.’

:lbf:(y)

full article here ... definitely worth a read

She had her kid there with cocaine everywhere? Thats f***ed up!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom