Judge John Weeks dead (April 2021)

Excerpt:

His Honour John Weeks QC​

It is with much regret that we report that Master Weeks (His Honour John Weeks QC) sadly died on the Easter weekend, aged 82. The Inn’s flag will fly at half-mast on Monday 19 April 2021, in his memory.

Master Weeks was called to the Bar in 1963 and took Silk in 1983. In 1991 he was appointed a circuit judge on the Western Circuit and as a Chancery Circuit judge in 1997 until his retirement in 2006.

He was elected a Judicial Governing Bencher in 1996.

Details of any funeral and/or memorial service will be circulated as appropriate in due course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

“devious, truculent, and unreliable”

:lbf::rock::thumb:

And we wouldn’t want him any other way !

VIVA MOZ !!!

VIVA BONFIRE !!!

:cool:
That guy is the one who ruled against Moz, and it was wrong in my opinion Moz was absolutely right,!!!!!!!

Let's just go back to 1982 and 1983 when Mike and Andy joined the band.
Joe Moss was the manager, he was organising tours and everything else etc..... surely he had evidence that the 40 / 40 / 10 / 10 % split was in place?
What's that you say? He didn't?
I rest my case M'lud.....
Joe Moss didn't like Morrissey so why would he have helped him? Joe Moss was really good friends with Johnny Marr. Sorry but I didn't trust Joe Moss because he was biased and he had favouritism. Joe Moss had his favourite and that was his friend Johnny Marr. Joe Moss even tried to get money out of Morrissey. Sad that so many just saw Morrissey as a cash machine once he started making money.

Before the first lockdown Andy Rourke was working in a band called "Blitz Vega". Is Blitz Vega still going? They even got to record at Abbey Road Studios. Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke live off of "The Smiths" name to a large extent. Do you think Sinead O'Connor would have worked with them if they had been unknown musicians? Sinead O'Connor liked them because they had been in "The Smiths". Mike Joyce even bragged about sleeping with Sinead O'Connor. Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke should be grateful to Morrissey for everything he gave them. Instead they took him to court for money. Morrissey should have won that court case.

I think Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke saw Morrissey as a Daddy figure who was going to provide for them for the rest of their lives. Why couldn't they ask their real fathers for money? I guess their real fathers were not as rich or famous as Morrissey is.
What nonsense.
It's like saying Ringo Starr lives off being in the Beatles. He WAS in the Beatles as was Mike and Andy in The Smiths.
Would Sinead have wanted them both in the band if they were shit musicians? No.

Its like asking if Juventus would have signed Cristiano Ronaldo if he was playing for a pub team in Lisbon. No he wasn't. He was playing for a top team in Spain and became available.
Mike & Andy were playing in a top band and became available..
Please show me a link to where Mike said he slept with Sinead

Joe Moss didn't like Morrissey so why would he have helped him? Joe Moss was really good friends with Johnny Marr. Sorry but I didn't trust Joe Moss because he was biased and he had favouritism. Joe Moss had his favourite and that was his friend Johnny Marr. Joe Moss even tried to get money out of Morrissey. Sad that so many just saw Morrissey as a cash machine once he started making money.
So if Joe was so much for Johnny, why didn't he ensure Johnny got his just rewards and ensure everything was written down in ink? It didn't matter if Morrissey got the same as long as Johnny got his share....
You are simply an anonymous (literally) poster trying to rewrite history with guessing and here say.

What nonsense.
It's like saying Ringo Starr lives off being in the Beatles. He WAS in the Beatles as was Mike and Andy in The Smiths.
Would Sinead have wanted them both in the band if they were shit musicians? No.

Please let’s not even try to compare what Ringo brought to The Beatles with what Joyce brought to The Smiths. doh:

Also, the anon didn’t say they were ‘shit musicians’ nor does being unknown mean that you are a shit musician. I’ve seen buskers drum better than Joyce could ever dream of.
Anyway, who knows if Sinead picked them, more likely they were mentioned or recommended by someone else and she needed a touring band and said ... they’ll do. Who knows.

Last edited:
No one is disputing that the lack of a written contract verifying that the 10%10%40%40% was agreed upon made it difficult for Morrissey and Marr to win their case, but the law of reason should have prevailed. The success of the band, and more importantly, Moz's solo success, made it clear that the Smiths were adored because of a very unique sound and lyrical style. These two attributes were absolutely defined by Morrissey and Marr. Additionally, Morrissey had a strong following, not only because of his vocal and writing talent, but to some extent because he was so physically beautiful. These facts were evident at the time of the trial, but the judge was obviously against Morrissey.

Back to the law of reason; I pose this question: If Rourke and Joyce are playing with an unknown singer and lead guitar player for $20 per ticket and across town, Marr and Morrissey are playing the same night and same time with an unknown bass player and drummer for $80 per ticket, who do you pay to see? It isn't even a contest. So, while the verdict may have been within the law, it was bullshit to say that Rourke and Joyce, who are both extremely talented, were of the same value as M and M.

lynnda

No one is disputing that the lack of a written contract verifying that the 10%10%40%40% was agreed upon made it difficult for Morrissey and Marr to win their case, but the law of reason should have prevailed. The success of the band, and more importantly, Moz's solo success, made it clear that the Smiths were adored because of a very unique sound and lyrical style. These two attributes were absolutely defined by Morrissey and Marr. Additionally, Morrissey had a strong following, not only because of his vocal and writing talent, but to some extent because he was so physically beautiful. These facts were evident at the time of the trial, but the judge was obviously against Morrissey.

Back to the law of reason; I pose this question: If Rourke and Joyce are playing with an unknown singer and lead guitar player for $20 per ticket and across town, Marr and Morrissey are playing the same night and same time with an unknown bass player and drummer for $80 per ticket, who do you pay to see? It isn't even a contest. So, while the verdict may have been within the law, it was bullshit to say that Rourke and Joyce, who are both extremely talented, were of the same value as M and M.

lynnda
But when the band started out, all 4 of them were unknown - at the Hacienda in Feb 1983 it was just "The Smiths". It wasn't Moz and Marr and 2 others.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing to say 15 years later blah blah blah
But Mike and Andy did all the leg work to help Morrissey and Marr get to where they got to. Yes it could have been 2 other musicians but whoever it was would have done all the travelling up and down the country in the back of a Transit van playing to 40 people in a student hall in Northampton (or wherever).

Last edited:
Please let’s not even try to compare what Ringo brought to The Beatles with what Joyce brought to The Smiths. doh:

Also, the anon didn’t say they were ‘shit musicians’ nor does being unknown mean that you are a shit musician. I’ve seen buskers drum better than Joyce could ever dream of.
Anyway, who knows if Sinead picked them, more likely they were mentioned or recommended by someone else and she needed a touring band and said ... they’ll do. Who knows.
Great post! Music producer John Reynolds is Sinead O'Connor's first husband. Apparently, John Reynolds was friends with Andy Rourke. It was John Reynolds who got Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke the gig with Sinead O'Connor. It is about networking and sometimes it is not what you know but who you know. John Reynolds also knows Jah Wobble.

You are right there are some amazing unknown musicians out there who are not as fortunate as Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke were. I didn't say Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke are shit musicians but what they did to Morrissey was totally shit it was completely horrible no true friend would do something like that. Morrissey should have won that court case.

I love The Beatles. Sir Ringo Starr was a vital part of The Beatles and he was always kind to all the other band members and he remained friends with them. Tragic what happened to John Lennon and George Harrison.

I actually think the Ringo anology is perfect here. The Beatles performed for a few years, playing twice a day 6 days a week at the Cavern, with Pete Best on drums. Then off they went to Hamburg for 18 months / 2 years or so, really honing in on their looks and playing etc. Sadly losing Stuart Sutcliffe along the way.
They return to Liverpool and start to make it big.... and sack Pete Best for Ringo on the eve of recording their first single. In fact George Martin wasn't impressed with Ringo and had a session drummer play on their first single Please Please Me.
As John Lennon famously remarked, Ringo wasnt even the best drummer in The Beatles.
Yet Mike Joyce played at every single Smiths gig. Performed drums on every song that had drums on. He certainly has more claim to being a Smith than Ringo does to being a Beatle. Yet no one gives Ringo a hard time. Ringo joined and got instant success on the back of all the hard grafting that Pete Best had done.
Mike (and Andy) joined when the band were playing to the proverbial 4 men and a dog and travelling up and down the M6 / M1 for every gig. Yes it could have been 2 other people. But it wasn't.
They put the shift in and did the donkey work to help The Smiths get to where they got to - and deserve their proper share of the rewards for doing so.

I actually think the Ringo anology is perfect here. The Beatles performed for a few years, playing twice a day 6 days a week at the Cavern, with Pete Best on drums. Then off they went to Hamburg for 18 months / 2 years or so, really honing in on their looks and playing etc. Sadly losing Stuart Sutcliffe along the way.
They return to Liverpool and start to make it big.... and sack Pete Best for Ringo on the eve of recording their first single. In fact George Martin wasn't impressed with Ringo and had a session drummer play on their first single Please Please Me.
As John Lennon famously remarked, Ringo wasnt even the best drummer in The Beatles.
Yet Mike Joyce played at every single Smiths gig. Performed drums on every song that had drums on. He certainly has more claim to being a Smith than Ringo does to being a Beatle. Yet no one gives Ringo a hard time. Ringo joined and got instant success on the back of all the hard grafting that Pete Best had done.
Mike (and Andy) joined when the band were playing to the proverbial 4 men and a dog and travelling up and down the M6 / M1 for every gig. Yes it could have been 2 other people. But it wasn't.
They put the shift in and did the donkey work to help The Smiths get to where they got to - and deserve their proper share of the rewards for doing so.
Simon Wolstencroft (aka "Funky Si") was the original drummer in The Smiths. Please read Simon's book it will give you more insight as to what happened. Stephen (Steve) Pomfret was a guitarist in the early days of The Smiths he was friends with Morrissey. There was also Dale Hibbert the original bassist. Dale Hibbert has also written a book. There was another guitarist brought in when Johnny Marr left the group. I think they were from the band "Easterhouse"? There was also Craig Gannnon who was brought in when Andy Rourke was briefly sacked. There was a dancer who was there in the early days.

Pete Best was a great drummer and he already had his own fan following in Liverpool before The Beatles became world famous. John Lennon's first group was "The Quarrymen". Sir Ringo Starr was a vital part of The Beatles and he is a kind man a total legend. John Lennon never said that about Ringo Starr not even being the best drummer in The Beatles that is false. I have seen that quote written down but the truth is John Lennon never actually said that! Sir Ringo Starr is a great drummer and a great musician in general and a great person. I don't remember the great Ringo Starr ever sueing John Lennon or Paul McCartney or George Harrison? They all remained good friends.

Simon Wolstencroft (aka "Funky Si") was the original drummer in The Smiths. Please read Simon's book it will give you more insight as to what happened. Stephen (Steve) Pomfret was a guitarist in the early days of The Smiths he was friends with Morrissey. There was also Dale Hibbert the original bassist. Dale Hibbert has also written a book. There was another guitarist brought in when Johnny Marr left the group. I think they were from the band "Easterhouse"? There was also Craig Gannnon who was brought in when Andy Rourke was briefly sacked. There was a dancer who was there in the early days.

Pete Best was a great drummer and he already had his own fan following in Liverpool before The Beatles became world famous. John Lennon's first group was "The Quarrymen". Sir Ringo Starr was a vital part of The Beatles and he is a kind man a total legend. John Lennon never said that about Ringo Starr not even being the best drummer in The Beatles that is false. I have seen that quote written down but the truth is John Lennon never actually said that! Sir Ringo Starr is a great drummer and a great musician in general and a great person. I don't remember the great Ringo Starr ever sueing John Lennon or Paul McCartney or George Harrison? They all remained good friends.
James Maker who is a good friend of Morrissey was the dancer at The Smiths gig at The Ritz in Manchester. Ivor Perry from the band "Easterhouse" was the guitarist thought to be a replacement to Johnny Marr when he left The Smiths.

Morrissey was already known in music and creative circles in Manchester before The Smiths became famous and he had been in punk bands and he was a writer.

Assumed..... doesn't stand up in court.

I read somewhere it was only after the band had ended when Andy and Mike (or their accountants) realised they were not on 25%

First of all, when the band started, Johnny, Mike and Andy were only 18 years old. Both Johnny and Morrissey have said they laid out what the split was early on in the band. Mike is a liar. He knew the split and he even asked Morrissey during the course of the band to take on more responsibility in the band for a larger percentage - Morrissey told him no, he could leave the band, but he stayed. This is in Morrissey's book.

In Johnny's book, he says Morrissey made him tell the others about their 10% status and said he would leave the band unless they accepted the deal. Andy and Mike accepted the deal. It was not in writing, mainly because Morrissey kept firing all the managers. That was the only reason Mike won the case, it was not in writing. It doesn't matter who did what in the band. On a purely legal basis, Mike's side prevailed. Mike had to have a bad case of amnesia, but for a million pounds, he did it. I don't blame Morrissey and Marr for never speaking to him again.

Listen, they needed a drummer so Mike got the job. Joyce is not as good of a drummer or as special when compared to Ringo. If Pete Best was so great why didn’t they keep him? No one gives Ringo a hard time because he’s a great drummer, who cares about ‘leg work’ and ‘donkey work’ lol.
We don’t know what The Smiths would have sounded like with a better drummer, he was alright for the job, 10% at least and that’s all.

Andy on the other hand 15% or more, he could have locked in with
any decent drummer, at least Andy brought something more distinct
to The Smiths sound.

Moz and Marr in that order are The Smiths the other two could have been any bassist and any drummer... and it's unforgivable what they did to Moz!!!! Morrissey never forgives them about all Joyce and I super support the worst of the worst was that M JOYCe claimed the mother's house... luckily MOz was well advised and made a good move,Joyce in my country is what is called a Garca

In my country, an advantageous crap like M Joyce is called Garca!!!!!!. Moz looks back and sees many beautiful records made in his solo career and has one in the refrigerator ready for us to enjoy in a short time as an ice cream of the taste preferred by each of us, instead JOyce has nothing at all ... I think this all said MOz GENIUS JOYce does not exist

Moz and Marr in that order are The Smiths the other two could have been any bassist and any drummer... and it's unforgivable what they did to Moz!!!! Morrissey never forgives them about all Joyce and I super support the worst of the worst was that M JOYCe claimed the mother's house... luckily MOz was well advised and made a good move,Joyce in my country is what is called a Garca

yeah, a total garca that guy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom