Joyce Michael slags off Morrissey's Smiths covers at Glastonbury

Maurice E

This from captain f***wit's twitter page:
"Gr8 performance from M at Glasto but didn't like the cover versions. M was in the group...but not in the band, those tunes belong to them."

Presumably, he thinks Marr's solo versions of Smiths songs are faultless?
Also, how about Joyce Michael, as a member of the 'band' treats us to his own version of the Smiths songs?

"Gr8 performance from M at Glasto but didn't like the cover versions. M was in the group...but not in the band, those tunes belong to them."

Also, how about Joyce Michael, as a member of the 'band' treats us to his own version of the Smiths songs?

To be fair, they aren't really comparable to the originals. It's a different band, his voice has changed - the songs are never going to be the same as they are on record, but at least he's doing them.

To be fair, they aren't really comparable to the originals. It's a different band, his voice has changed - the songs are never going to be the same as they are on record, but at least he's doing them.

yeah, fair point but I maintain Joyce Michael is an absolute plonker.
and Morrissey singing the songs with a band that isn't quite the same is a billion times preferable to Marr playing them note-perfectly with the berk from Crowded House or The Cribs on vocals.
I'd love to see Marr and Morrissey performing them together, and then see what Joyce Michael has to say about that.

Smiths "covers" they aren't a cover if he helped write the songs... Jesus, we all Know that Johnny is a better player than anyone Moz has ever played with solo. We also know that Morrisseys band are somewhat heavy handed with their own songs let alone the Smiths.. But what can we do? To be fair its about being at the gig not watching it on telly. There are a number of gigs I have been to and its been a fantastic night... then I hear a bootleg months later and it sounds basic (apart from Moz).
I enjoyed the gig Moz is never at his best at that sort of thing BUT he did well..

Doesn't this Asshat get money anytime that Smiths's songs are played?

I could be wrong but he is still an asshat :lbf:

I don't think his comments were that bad. I mean, how many times does someone on here say Morrissey's band are shite per day?

You really hold Vini above Johnny? Not trying to start something, was just curious.

Vini can't really be compared to anyone. His style is too unique. Unique isn't always equatable with best, but with Vini I think special standards are in order where scrutinization are concerned.

I don't begrudge Joyce this opinion.

It's like seeing another guy raise your kids. You feel extra critical, extra proprietorial. It's human.

He isn't talking shit about the band; he's just saying that he would have played the songs differently. You've got to remember; you can write this guy off all you want but he lived slept breathed ate and shit these songs for five years. HE WAS THERE WHEN THEY WERE BORN.

I see where he's coming from. I've got a few issues with Joyce but I think he is perfectly OK with his comments here. And remember, he's still praising Mozzer, as he always has. If he wanted to just randomly talk stupid shit, he could have said a LOT worse. After all, many others have.

Mike is one of the all time greats. I don't see anything wrong with his comments... I mean Morrissey is beloved by most(me included) for his razor wit and sometimes scathing assessments of topics/people. No one here thinks that MozBand is playing the Smiths to any remote level of proficiency, so what's the big deal?

As far as Vini over Johnny, well... :lbf:

Why? He's just said the tunes belong to the BAND. I think it's a fair point.

Mike is one of the all time greats. I don't see anything wrong with his comments... I mean Morrissey is beloved by most(me included) for his razor wit and sometimes scathing assessments of topics/people. No one here thinks that MozBand is playing the Smiths to any remote level of proficiency, so what's the big deal?

The sad thing is, Morrissey thinks that...

Thought this was a remarkably ok comment myself nothing really nasty said GREAT performance. They are Smiths cover versions ones I happen to like but you know I can not fault this comment, maybe you think its a back handed compliment or that he is hiding a nasty slag in their but yea its nothing half the people here have not said.

Oh dear - some clarification required. Of course there's nothing wrong with criticising Morrissey's band's versions of the Smiths songs. The rearranged version of This Charming Man is horrible. But most of the others are sufficiently good for 96% of the fans to absolutely love hearing them. Morrissey's current rendition of 'I Know It's Over' is spellbinding.
What grates is Joyce Michael's snide description of Morrissey doing Smiths songs as 'cover versions', and the implication that they 'belong' more to Joyce Michael than they do to Morrissey.
The songs were written by Marr and Morrissey and, therefore, if anyone, they belong to Marr and Morrissey.

If the songs "belong" to the band, then according to Joyce everything pre-Tormentors is a cover version now.

Last edited:
"Cover versions"Oh really?Mike Joyce is a worthless greedy pig and he should just shut up.

Also, on Facebook (yes, I was intrigued enough to search his name after discovering Boz's presence there): 'yeah, his voice sounded great, but The Smith's songs?... Nah.'

"Cover versions"Oh really?Mike Joyce is a worthless greedy pig and he should just shut up.

No he isn't. He should have been paid performance royalties which he wasn't. If somebody rips you off in life you'll learn that you've let sentimentality get in the way of good reason, fairness and judgment.

I think his comments were spot on with This Charming Man which can't be described as anything but an extremely poor cover version but entirely wrong with I want the one I can't have which was nothing short of superb. Then there was "Kill eat, kill eat, kill eat, kill eat". Genius. The other Smiths songs were somewhere in between, good but not as good as they were.

Back
Top Bottom