Josh Klinghoffer interview, more mentions of recording "Bonfire of Teenagers" - ajournalofmusicalthings.com (September 5, 2022)

Here's a new interview with Josh Klinghoffer, where he briefly discusses (again) his involvement in BoT.

Relevant sections:

AJOMT: You co-wrote and recorded on Eddie Vedder’s album Earthling. How did that collaboration come to fruition?

Josh: “Very organically, it was incredible. As I said, 2021 sort of seemed like, like the reset button was hit and I was back in the studio. I started working with Andrew Watt and Chad Smith on a Morrissey album, which came out of the blue. And that’s a whole other conversation and it’ll take us an hour. But the short version of it is that Andrew and his team of people got in touch with Morrissey, and there was talk of doing something together. I was extremely lucky to have known Andrew for a little while; he’s really good friends with Chad Smith, and they have this beautiful friendship and musical partnership. So I was lucky enough to be playing with Chad again, which I sorely missed. So I’m back in the studio, we’re making this Morrissey album. And toward the end of that there was just a little difficulty and it’s still not out.

Andrew was reaching out to people that he knew and one of them was Eddie Vedder. Andrew was looking for guidance and asking for opinions, sending a couple of songs, ‘what do you think of this? Can we say this? Are these lyrics too much?’ Eddie’s just great counsel, and he’s got a very clear and level ahead and he was very helpful to Andrew.

[I can't tell from that second paragraph if the songs/lyrics Watt was sending to Vedder were from Bonfire, or if they were songs for the nascent collaboration with Vedder - presumably the latter?]

Let’s have the album soon please. I hope cool heads prevail.

Tour is round the corner. A few more teasers from the record perhaps?

Ha Ha Harlem sounds like it could be a standout.

Love you Moz

In case someone doesn't know, Josh K. is one of today's avant-garde artists. He's art-first, commercial success second.

To me, it's actually reminiscent of Vini Reilly playing on the Viva Hate album.

In case someone doesn't know, Josh K. is one of today's avant-garde artists. He's art-first, commercial success second.

I have a confession, every time I hear Avant Garde anything, I imagine them fencing and shouting "en guard!"

Are these lyrics too much?

uh oh. is this the roadblock? or is it the album art 👼?

I have a confession, every time I hear Avant Garde anything, I imagine them fencing and shouting "en guard!"

LOL! That's actually really funny for how simple it is.

To add, nobody outside the camp that created 'Bonfire...' knows how much of a contribution Josh even made to the album. If the album features Josh and Chad Smith as one of the guitarists and the drummer for the entire record - that would be amazing honestly, especially with Chad on drums.

Vini Reilly played guitars on the entire Viva Hate album, so I'm not drawing an exact comparison with Josh K. - who would probably be sharing the guitar responsibilities with Jesse Tobias anyway IF Josh played on the full album.

Avant-garde? art-first? You mean like the guitarist Bill Orcutt ? I wish M would work with him ….

Avant-garde? art-first? You mean like the guitarist Bill Orcutt ? I wish M would work with him ….

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! Also, a group like This Heat I would consider to be avant-garde.

Josh K. has mentioned working on 'Bonfire' so often because he's really proud of being invited to play on a Morrissey record. Morrissey - an artist who has pushed musical boundaries himself.

LOL! That's actually really funny for how simple it is.

To add, nobody outside the camp that created 'Bonfire...' knows how much of a contribution Josh even made to the album. If the album features Josh and Chad Smith as one of the guitarists and the drummer for the entire record - that would be amazing honestly, especially with Chad on drums.

Vini Reilly played guitars on the entire Viva Hate album, so I'm not drawing an exact comparison with Josh K. - who would probably be sharing the guitar responsibilities with Jesse Tobias anyway IF Josh played on the full album.
From what I have heard on Chad Smith interviews is that he played drums on the entire album. This would make sense as Morrissey is without a studio drummer currently as Brendan Buckley seems to be a touring drummer for Morrissey. As for this Josh K fellow whom I'm not aware of who he actually is,I know nothing. I assume he's a former RHCP of whom I also know sweet fk all ;)

Thanks for posting this @Ketamine Sun . This guy is amazing! I've never heard of him. Have you ever listened to Leo Kottke? He is a folk bluegrass guitarist that has some definite abstract techniques. His lyrics are quite bizarre and he plays the bass line at the same time with his thumb as his fingers do the rest. Apparently as a kid he'd listen to bands' records and thought one guy was playing all the strings so he naturally tried to mimic that.

Thanks for posting this @Ketamine Sun . This guy is amazing! I've never heard of him. Have you ever listened to Leo Kottke? He is a folk bluegrass guitarist that has some definite abstract techniques. His lyrics are quite bizarre and he plays the bass line at the same time with his thumb as his fingers do the rest. Apparently as a kid he'd listen to bands' records and thought one guy was playing all the strings so he naturally tried to mimic that.

Ah yes Kottke! sure. If you dig Orcutt, (Bandcamp page below) veering away from the blues a bit, you may want to check out the father of the far-out … Derek Bailey, one of my favorites

or reining it back in with Mary Halvorson

i can never listen enough to vini on viva hate. he created an atmosphere for the songs to breathe, exist, and live. it might be my favorite album.

lol I like this bit: "So I’m back in the studio, we’re making this Morrissey album. And toward the end of that there was just a little difficulty and it’s still not out."

"just a little difficulty" sums up moz in a nutshell, don't it??

lol I like this bit: "So I’m back in the studio, we’re making this Morrissey album. And toward the end of that there was just a little difficulty and it’s still not out."

"just a little difficulty" sums up moz in a nutshell, don't it??
Would like to know what that little difficulty is. Presumably lack of a record deal.
Hopefully not another legal battle about royalties, like he had with Stephen Street.

" And toward the end of that, there was just a little difficulty "

I wonder what that was?

Also, what is he talking about, in regard to lyrics, if it is about M or not, what kind of person is he that he is scared to go with it?

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom