Josh Klinghoffer Blames 'the Culture' for Morrissey Album Delay - Ultimate Classic Rock (June 5, 2022)

Album delay reason:

Excerpt:

“Morrissey has, I think, done himself no favors in the court of public opinion with some of the things he’s said or some of the pins he’s worn on television,” Klinghoffer admitted. “I think the whole story surrounding this record and the fact that it’s not out yet, if people were able to listen to the information and keep a cool head, they could see that there’s a greater discussion around this album than the album or the music itself.

“If Morrissey says something that’s offensive to people … I don’t know how much they know him, how much they know his music in the past,” the guitarist continued. “I don’t know how much time they spend listening to his [music], thinking that they really know where he’s coming from. People just might get offended. I don’t, because I honestly don’t think he’s a malicious person, even if he says stupid shit.”

At the end of the day, Klinghoffer is confident Bonfire of the Children deserves to be released, regardless of any controversies that may surround the singer.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Content is what you're writing about, form is how you write about it.
Can you explain how Dirk's post was a "stealth slag" rather than just a viewpoint you don't like?

Can you explain how Dirk's post was a "stealth slag" rather than just a viewpoint you don't like?

Ffs. Can you explain why I bothered calling it a stealth slag instead of just saying I disagree?

Actually I think the reverse is true. It's been 5 years since he stopped talking to the press, after the whole Der Spiegal thing. Nothing has improved as a result of this. People continue to talk sh#t about him everywhere,

but now he has no means to respond.

of course he does, if he chooses.

His stock is so low we now get things like that 'Top 10 Most Evil Musicians' video posted by WatchMojo a couple of month's back. He needs to get back out there and engage with the press again, and defend himself, painful as he may find it.

“If Morrissey says something that’s offensive to people … I don’t know how much they know him, how much they know his music in the past,” the guitarist continued. “I don’t know how much time they spend listening to his [music], thinking that they really know where he’s coming from. People just might get offended. I don’t, because I honestly don’t think he’s a malicious person, even if he says stupid shit.”

So even if Morrissey says anything, some are just not going to hear it, they’ve already decided or their views have been decided for them. Morrissey knows this. I feel he takes the position of ‘why bother?’ and he’s right, those people won’t hear it, and the media will twist anything he says or doesn’t say to their advantage.

Last edited:
Ffs. Can you explain why I bothered calling it a stealth slag instead of just saying I disagree?
No, that's why I've asked you three times!

No, that's why I've asked you three times!

Imagine you're having to analyse it as a piece of text for an essay.

So - the content is about Morrissey & his career prospects.

The form is the structure, tone, genre - all that malarkey & the way it contributes to the meaning.

He's been posting for about a year - but it's probably a character. He's chosen a play on Dirk Bogarde - blaggard is slang for disreputable.
And he's chirpy, he's just a fan... he agrees with all the mitigating factors "been mistreated, the culture is against him, respected artist...", puts in some disclaimers, "there is no shame, I do not care about any of this, Im not attacking M, I hope I am wrong..." - but the vast bulk of it is a negative parasocial romance - a random interview with someone Morrissey worked with isn't doing "any favors", he's a "sycophant", no one is "waiting for the lp", it's dressed up as "edgy" & "suppressed", it's contributing to Morrissey not being "realistic", it's a sign.

A stealth slag.

Imagine you're having to analyse it as a piece of text for an essay.

So - the content is about Morrissey & his career prospects.

The form is the structure, tone, genre - all that malarkey & the way it contributes to the meaning.

He's been posting for about a year - but it's probably a character. He's chosen a play on Dirk Bogarde - blaggard is slang for disreputable.
And he's chirpy, he's just a fan... he agrees with all the mitigating factors "been mistreated, the culture is against him, respected artist...", puts in some disclaimers, "there is no shame, I do not care about any of this, Im not attacking M, I hope I am wrong..." - but the vast bulk of it is a negative parasocial romance - a random interview with someone Morrissey worked with isn't doing "any favors", he's a "sycophant", no one is "waiting for the lp", it's dressed up as "edgy" & "suppressed", it's contributing to Morrissey not being "realistic", it's a sign.

A stealth slag.
Essentially, you think he's posing as a fan when he's not one, as some kind of complex fifth-column protest. There are a lot of posters here who are certainly playing "characters" but I don't really see it with Dirk. I think you are minded to see agendas and conspiracies and I just don't see this one.

Essentially, you think he's posing as a fan when he's not one, as some kind of complex fifth-column protest. There are a lot of posters here who are certainly playing "characters" but I don't really see it with Dirk. I think you are minded to see agendas and conspiracies and I just don't see this one.

I don't think he's posing as a fan - but I think he likes Morrissey as an anti-hero - as if he was Jack the Ripper or Ronnie Kray.

I don't think he's posing as a fan - but I think he likes Morrissey as an anti-hero - as if he was Jack the Ripper or Ronnie Kray.
Sounds like he understands Moz perfectly then, from that description 😂

While Morrissey is pilloried over words and badges, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers have a lengthy list of accusations of sexual assault. A knockabout World indeed. https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/anthony-kiedis-sexual-assault-history-details/
I think the difference here is that RHCP have never presented themselves as anything other than sex-crazed chauvinist jocks, which is also what a majority of their audience is. But Morrissey's views have clashed with many people who have cherished him from the start as the voice of outsider, the non-carnivore who said that it takes strength to be gentle and kind. The disappointed ex-fans are those who have penned most of angry articles about him, not the people who have hated him from the start.

I think the difference here is that RHCP have never presented themselves as anything other than sex-crazed chauvinist jocks, which is also what a majority of their audience is. But Morrissey's views have clashed with many people who have cherished him from the start as the voice of outsider, the non-carnivore who said that it takes strength to be gentle and kind. The disappointed ex-fans are those who have penned most of angry articles about him, not the people who have hated him from the start.

They should be disappointed in themselves - they persecuted a minority artist based on a bigoted article, guilt by association & words twisted out of context.

Not to mention Tim Jonze literally contacting people to shame them for associating with Morrissey & getting his mates to write demented articles about him.

Oh please. Who's being paranoid now? Writing a critical article is not persecution. One would have a better case arguing that Morrissey is persecuting the people he sees as his enemies by wishing death on them in public.

Yes, absolutely agree. It's the dissonance between what people thought Morrissey was and what people now think Morrissey is (almost certainly both wrong) that has fuelled so much of the vitriol against him.
The one thing that has remained pretty much constant is his outsider-ness. (Aside from a brief flirtation with mainstream taste around YATQ and "greatest living Englishman" polls and all that bollocks.)

I think the difference here is that RHCP have never presented themselves as anything other than sex-crazed chauvinist jocks, which is also what a majority of their audience is.
So that makes their behavior ok.
But Morrissey's views have clashed with many people who have cherished him from the start as the voice of outsider, the non-carnivore who said that it takes strength to be gentle and kind.
nothing has changed. And Morrissey has never been against being unkind or not gentle towards those that hurt/eat animals. Morrissey is contrary, always has been.
The disappointed ex-fans are those who have penned most of angry articles about him, not the people who have hated him from the start.

I don’t know about that, I’ve never taken a count. But more importantly it is these people that hated him from the start that are influencing those fans to turn for whatever reasons personal or not.

Oh please. Who's being paranoid now? Writing a critical article is not persecution. One would have a better case arguing that Morrissey is persecuting the people he sees as his enemies by wishing death on them in public.

The Finsbury Park article is provable bullshit.

The immigration article uses the Finsbury article.

& Tim Jonze was contacting people associated with Morrissey for years & getting his mates to write or contribute to negative articles about him.

It's in their articles, in their tweets & it fits with Morrissey's version of events.

Oh please. Who's being paranoid now? Writing a critical article is not persecution.

One would have a better case arguing that Morrissey is persecuting the people he sees as his enemies by wishing death on them in public.

Then they would be arguing about his type of humor. I feel that most of his public comments like those, have been off hand digs, tongue-in-cheek, etc. So misunderstood.

The Finsbury Park article is provable bullshit.

The immigration article uses the Finsbury article.

& Tim Jonze was contacting people associated with Morrissey for years & getting his mates to write or contribute to negative articles about him.

It's in their articles, in their tweets & it fits with Morrissey's version of events.

a witch-hunt obviously.

The reference given by Josh is to cancel culture. In this climate it should be Josh who has to answer for working with RHCP and Morrissey who is diminished by working with Chad Smith. Just watch Chad and co go to town on Cleo Rocos in this clip:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom