Josh Klinghoffer Blames 'the Culture' for Morrissey Album Delay - Ultimate Classic Rock (June 5, 2022)

Album delay reason:

Excerpt:

“Morrissey has, I think, done himself no favors in the court of public opinion with some of the things he’s said or some of the pins he’s worn on television,” Klinghoffer admitted. “I think the whole story surrounding this record and the fact that it’s not out yet, if people were able to listen to the information and keep a cool head, they could see that there’s a greater discussion around this album than the album or the music itself.

“If Morrissey says something that’s offensive to people … I don’t know how much they know him, how much they know his music in the past,” the guitarist continued. “I don’t know how much time they spend listening to his [music], thinking that they really know where he’s coming from. People just might get offended. I don’t, because I honestly don’t think he’s a malicious person, even if he says stupid shit.”

At the end of the day, Klinghoffer is confident Bonfire of the Children deserves to be released, regardless of any controversies that may surround the singer.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha what a crock of shite

Bonfire of the Children?

Im not sure if this is doing anyone any favors. I think M has been mistreated, I think also the way he acts and his coterie of sycophants put us where we are now - that should be of name of his lp-"Coterie Of Sycophants"

"The culture" is against him sure but this comment acts like the whole world is waiting for the lp
If it was, it would be released.
Part of the issue is as much as we dress it up he has lost LOADS of fans.
More than that the truth is, his fan base has never been as big as his infamy - the Smiths played places like Brixton academy in the UK, they weren't super arena sellers.

In the USA they were a collage radio band. There was some support for M, when Viva first came out but that fell away pretty soon.
Around the time the stock in M fell, in the UK ..He picked up pace in the USA, for about 2 years.
He is a respected artist and his name still headlines SOME festivals - not big ones like Glasto or Reading in the UK, or the bigger ones in the USA
Personally, I do not care about any of this. I'm just saying if M was a huge seller, the lp would be released, Hip hop artists that cause more trouble than M, have lps released, why? Because they sell.
That has to be addressed. There is no shame in his lack of sales, the music industry is a different place than it was in 1999 - though it's worth remembering he never had a contract then either.
I do not think trying to dress Bonfire up as some edgy suppressed lp is helpful

He really messed up with BMI . They tried , they did video's, they got him on BBC and then he started going on about UKIP, knowing full well what will happen- he is free to say what he wants, but the public are free to walk away and lots have.

He just needs to get a publishing deal and get the music out there.
Do some interviews where he brings witty, deep thinking M to the fore.
Im not attacking M, this comment isn't about that. I am speaking as a fan who would like to listen to as much M music , as i can. Trouble is "showcase" concerts and articles like this, make me fear we have little chance of the LP coming out, unless he is realistic

I hope I am wrong

Absolute hogwash. The only thing that's happened is that the things he's said and done have made people vote with their wallets. It's really that simple. Why would a record company waste money on something that isn't going to sell?

He blames cancel culture? Who does this Josh Klinghoffer think he is... Fiona Dodwell?

Absolute hogwash. The only thing that's happened is that the things he's said and done have made people vote with their wallets. It's really that simple. Why would a record company waste money on something that isn't going to sell?
stopped going on about 'Damien' now then?

Josh has been a big fan of Moz for a long time,
so if he thinks Bonfire is a great record, then
I'll take his word for it.
Yeah, I'd like to hear the thing too.

Im not sure if this is doing anyone any favors. I think M has been mistreated, I think also the way he acts and his coterie of sycophants put us where we are now - that should be of name of his lp-"Coterie Of Sycophants"

"The culture" is against him sure but this comment acts like the whole world is waiting for the lp
More than that the truth is, his fan base has never been as big as his infamy - the Smiths played places like Brixton academy in the UK, they weren't super arena sellers.

In the USA they were a collage radio band. There was some support for M, when Viva first came out but that fell away pretty soon.
Around the time the stock in M fell, in the UK ..He picked up pace in the USA, for about 2 years.
He is a respected artist and his name still headlines SOME festivals - not big ones like Glasto or Reading in the UK, or the bigger ones in the USA
Personally, I do not care about any of this. I'm just saying if M was a huge seller, the lp would be released, Hip hop artists that cause more trouble than M, have lps released, why? Because they sell.
That has to be addressed. There is no shame in his lack of sales, the music industry is a different place than it was in 1999 - though it's worth remembering he never had a contract then either.

He really messed up with BMI . They tried , they did video's, they got him on BBC and then he started going on about UKIP, knowing full well what will happen- he is free to say what he wants, but the public are free to walk away and lots have.

Im not attacking M, this comment isn't about that. I am speaking as a fan who would like to listen to as much M music , as i can. Trouble is "showcase" concerts and articles like this, make me fear we have little chance of the LP coming out, unless he is realistic

I hope I am wrong
He has a publishing deal already(?).

Bonfire of Chili Peppers.

And the Red Hot Chili Peppers are a band that really should be on the bonfire. I remember they had a song in the 80s called Good-Time Boys, or something like that. "We're the good-time boys | Make you feel all right." Another name on the long list of the worst bands in the world, and now Morrissey is working with some of their members. I guess his living in Los Angeles has its positives and negatives.

I’ve never heard of this person. I just don’t follow bands or musicians anymore. Morrissey or bust, I guess. These days anyway…

On the one hand I want to respect Josh Klinghoffer's views, because he has heard Bonfire of Teenagers while we fans have not (apart from the live version of one song), but I have listened to some of Josh's other music as Pluralone and it's not exciting at all. I now see Bonfire as a rebound album that may very well have been a hasty and unsuitable project, but if it helped Morrissey feel better after being dumped by BMG then it has served its purpose. I'm not going to think about it anymore until I have heard it for myself.

And the Red Hot Chili Peppers are a band that really should be on the bonfire. I remember they had a song in the 80s called Good-Time Boys, or something like that. "We're the good-time boys | Make you feel all right." Another name on the long list of the worst bands in the world, and now Morrissey is working with some of their members. I guess his living in Los Angeles has its positives and negatives.

Take a listen to the 'By The Way' album by RHCP. You probably don't understand how good the group actually is, or at least WAS then. Klinghoffer, who was not in RHCP at that time (and isn't anymore) is a unique multi-instrumentalist who contributed some guitar to Morrissey's new record, same with Chad Smith (RHCP drummer who is very very talented).

Sounds to me like Klinghoffer really wants the new Morrissey record to come out. Of course, he is biased :)

I hope I am wrong
You’re not wrong.

On the face of it Morrissey has a decision: does he want the record released, or does he want another of those hen’s teeth deals where a company effectively pays for the association with the artist. The two ambitions are, for the time being, mutually exclusive.

In reality, we all know he’s made his mind up. So we’ll be listening to live renditions of Bonfire’s material for a while. I’m sure that’ll be easier on the ear than the inevitable moaning about the state of the music industry, which will accompany the charade.

Take a listen to the 'By The Way' album by RHCP. You probably don't understand how good the group actually is, or at least WAS then. Klinghoffer, who was not in RHCP at that time (and isn't anymore) is a unique multi-instrumentalist who contributed some guitar to Morrissey's new record, same with Chad Smith (RHCP drummer who is very very talented).

They do have a good song that I know of. It's the one from the Coneheads movie, called Soul to Squeeze. It has a good video. Scar Tissue is a tolerable song, and I think Anthony Kiedis is a vegan. Still, it's hard to forgive them for being intolerable "funk bros." And that "farting bass" style which is signature of Flea's playing is unlistenable. The band Primus was known for it as well, and their vocalist made Anthony Kiedis sound like a crooner by comparison. Onto the bonfire with Primus, too.

They do have a good song that I know of. It's the one from the Coneheads movie, called Soul to Squeeze. It has a good video. Scar Tissue is a tolerable song, and I think Anthony Kiedis is a vegan. Still, it's hard to forgive them for being intolerable "funk bros." And that "farting bass" style which is signature of Flea's playing is unlistenable. The band Primus was known for it as well, and their vocalist made Anthony Kiedis sound like a crooner by comparison. Onto the bonfire with Primus, too.

Yes, Soul to Squeeze is a great song (even though neither one of the RHCP guitarists I've mentioned even played on that track). I'm glad that you mentioned that track in particular though, because it displays your musical tastes a little bit. I assure you that you would have much more respect for RHCP if you spent an hour listening to 'By The Way'. RHCP has evolved their sound. It's not the same group anymore (and hasn't been for like almost 25 years) that did the cover of Stevie's 'Higher Ground'. In fact, some of their worst material has come in the last decade with John Frusciante having left the group (now returned) and Klinghoffer in control of song directions. That's no offense to Klinghoffer, who was like 30 years old joining a several-decade-old band full of guys in their 50s who had just lost their musical leader (Frusciante).

Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium - the four finest examples of RHCP period - which all four happen to feature John Frusciante's guitar playing, backing vocals, and songs. Those four recordings are the only RHCP albums that feature John Frusciante, and songs from those albums have made the band world-renowned.

Back
Top Bottom