Josh Klinghoffer Blames 'the Culture' for Morrissey Album Delay - Ultimate Classic Rock (June 5, 2022)

Album delay reason:

Excerpt:

“Morrissey has, I think, done himself no favors in the court of public opinion with some of the things he’s said or some of the pins he’s worn on television,” Klinghoffer admitted. “I think the whole story surrounding this record and the fact that it’s not out yet, if people were able to listen to the information and keep a cool head, they could see that there’s a greater discussion around this album than the album or the music itself.

“If Morrissey says something that’s offensive to people … I don’t know how much they know him, how much they know his music in the past,” the guitarist continued. “I don’t know how much time they spend listening to his [music], thinking that they really know where he’s coming from. People just might get offended. I don’t, because I honestly don’t think he’s a malicious person, even if he says stupid shit.”

At the end of the day, Klinghoffer is confident Bonfire of the Children deserves to be released, regardless of any controversies that may surround the singer.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moz would sell more if he didn't do interviews or express his opinions outside music but then he probably wouldn't be Moz.
Actually I think the reverse is true. It's been 5 years since he stopped talking to the press, after the whole Der Spiegal thing. Nothing has improved as a result of this. People continue to talk sh#t about him everywhere, but now he has no means to respond. His stock is so low we now get things like that 'Top 10 Most Evil Musicians' video posted by WatchMojo a couple of month's back. He needs to get back out there and engage with the press again, and defend himself, painful as he may find it.

Im not sure if this is doing anyone any favors. I think M has been mistreated, I think also the way he acts and his coterie of sycophants put us where we are now - that should be of name of his lp-"Coterie Of Sycophants"

"The culture" is against him sure but this comment acts like the whole world is waiting for the lp
If it was, it would be released.
Part of the issue is as much as we dress it up he has lost LOADS of fans.
More than that the truth is, his fan base has never been as big as his infamy - the Smiths played places like Brixton academy in the UK, they weren't super arena sellers.

In the USA they were a collage radio band. There was some support for M, when Viva first came out but that fell away pretty soon.
Around the time the stock in M fell, in the UK ..He picked up pace in the USA, for about 2 years.
He is a respected artist and his name still headlines SOME festivals - not big ones like Glasto or Reading in the UK, or the bigger ones in the USA
Personally, I do not care about any of this. I'm just saying if M was a huge seller, the lp would be released, Hip hop artists that cause more trouble than M, have lps released, why? Because they sell.
That has to be addressed. There is no shame in his lack of sales, the music industry is a different place than it was in 1999 - though it's worth remembering he never had a contract then either.
I do not think trying to dress Bonfire up as some edgy suppressed lp is helpful

He really messed up with BMI . They tried , they did video's, they got him on BBC and then he started going on about UKIP, knowing full well what will happen- he is free to say what he wants, but the public are free to walk away and lots have.

He just needs to get a publishing deal and get the music out there.
Do some interviews where he brings witty, deep thinking M to the fore.
Im not attacking M, this comment isn't about that. I am speaking as a fan who would like to listen to as much M music , as i can. Trouble is "showcase" concerts and articles like this, make me fear we have little chance of the LP coming out, unless he is realistic

I hope I am wrong
You always find a way to say absolutely nothing of value in as many words as possible

Actually I think the reverse is true. It's been 5 years since he stopped talking to the press, after the whole Der Spiegal thing. Nothing has improved as a result of this. People continue to talk sh#t about him everywhere, but now he has no means to respond. His stock is so low we now get things like that 'Top 10 Most Evil Musicians' video posted by WatchMojo a couple of month's back. He needs to get back out there and engage with the press again, and defend himself, painful as he may find it.
You're quite right - saying nothing has not helped him one little bit. The ugly, toxic articles continue with the same frequency including one recently that included him in the same list as a convicted paedophile which is madness.
Morrissey needs more people like Josh K to speak the truth i.e. that he is a decent person but he's said stupid stuff and done himself no favours. People who tell him that he's done nothing wrong are his worst enemies - the longer he listens to them, the longer his reputation stays in the gutter.

You're quite right - saying nothing has not helped him one little bit. The ugly, toxic articles continue with the same frequency including one recently that included him in the same list as a convicted paedophile which is madness.
Morrissey needs more people like Josh K to speak the truth i.e. that he is a decent person but he's said stupid stuff and done himself no favours. People who tell him that he's done nothing wrong are his worst enemies - the longer he listens to them, the longer his reputation stays in the gutter.

He hasn't mentioned her for THREE YEARS. Someone has clearly told him what the counter-jihad is.

& he didn't do anything wrong - it was obvious he genuinely thought she was being lied about. Decent journalism would have picked that up.

f*** the court of public opinion! There are plenty of uninteresting so called artists to listen to boring interviews who write utter shit songs that one can listen to. If you're a fan of Morrissey and you find him intolerable then take a visit to Jim Jim Falls and do some soul searching. Then step away from the ledge and go back to your boring safe space.

Also the "Culture" can suck it.

Free speech.

f*** the court of public opinion! There are plenty of uninteresting so called artists to listen to boring interviews who write utter shit songs that one can listen to. If you're a fan of Morrissey and you find him intolerable then take a visit to Jim Jim Falls and do some soul searching. Then step away from the ledge and go back to your boring safe space.

Also the "Culture" can suck it.

Also - Tim Jonze has been seriously gunning for him since 2007.

For example (Ford & Needham are Guardian hacks):

20220609_002448.jpg

20220609_002650.jpg

20220609_002705.jpg

You may be confusing Morrissey with someone who gives a shit. Who do you think you've been listening to all these years? The day he apologises for anything will be a sad day indeed.

I'm intrigued to know how genteel your publication is if you can't recognize a stealth slag when you see one.

He even denies he's doing it - in every post - because he's not sure if he got the tone right.
Having an opinion and expressing it in a reasonable way isn't a 'stealth slag', it's just a viewpoint you don't like. I find it a bit sad that anyone here would fear a negative reaction enough to preface their posts with "I'm not attacking Morrissey, but..." - it says a lot about this site and the childish mentality of some fans, sitting in wait to interpret any criticism as an 'attack'.

Morrissey is a public figure with a big mouth. I'm sure he would prefer it if all his fans had the critical thinking skills of potatoes and just blindly adored him all day, but life isn't like that.

Morrissey should not apologize for or explain anything, when you give into the mob, they just beat you down more.
I am not a Jordan Peterson fan, but I do agree with this , if he in fact said or even if he didn't -

“Never apologize to a mob. You’re not dealing with individuals who you can establish a relationship with. You’re dealing with a soulless idea that has people in its possession.”

renderTimingPixel.png

Absolute hogwash. The only thing that's happened is that the things he's said and done have made people vote with their wallets. It's really that simple. Why would a record company waste money on something that isn't going to sell?

Morrissey always sold albums and he always sold tickets at the shows (and I think the label gets a part of the earnings of those tickets).
Probably the album title is quite controversial though and it can scare a lot of people or record labels.... Probably it is the strongest album title since "Meat is Murder".

Having an opinion and expressing it in a reasonable way isn't a 'stealth slag', it's just a viewpoint you don't like. I find it a bit sad that anyone here would fear a negative reaction enough to preface their posts with "I'm not attacking Morrissey, but..." - it says a lot about this site and the childish mentality of some fans, sitting in wait to interpret any criticism as an 'attack'.

Morrissey is a public figure with a big mouth. I'm sure he would prefer it if all his fans had the critical thinking skills of potatoes and just blindly adored him all day, but life isn't like that.

Amy, you're getting confused between content & form.

I think it's hilarious that he does that "Morrissey is shit & no one likes him BUT I DO" routine.

I don't need to comment on someone's style to disagree with their point of view.

Amy, you're getting confused between content & form.
I think it's hilarious that he does that "Morrissey is shit & no one likes him BUT I DO" routine.

I don't need to comment on someone's style to disagree with their point of view.
I'm certainly confused by this post - what are you trying to say?

They do have a good song that I know of. It's the one from the Coneheads movie, called Soul to Squeeze. It has a good video. Scar Tissue is a tolerable song, and I think Anthony Kiedis is a vegan. Still, it's hard to forgive them for being intolerable "funk bros." And that "farting bass" style which is signature of Flea's playing is unlistenable. The band Primus was known for it as well, and their vocalist made Anthony Kiedis sound like a crooner by comparison. Onto the bonfire with Primus, too.
Primus is awful beyond words. RHCP aren't far behind.

Nobody sells records these days....unless you're completely anodyne.
Record companies do make money from streaming -- if their artists are being streamed enough. And the diminishing physical sales have led to 360 deals: if a new album is increasingly not a moneymaker on its own but an advert for the tour, then it makes sense for a record company to demand their cut from the concert profits. Which Morrissey is not prepared to give.

He needs to do some interviews to help promote the Vegas gigs.

Last edited:
the world is f..... and we all know it,suicide for some people sounds absolutely heavenly these days.
why is this even on the front page,the text has been lifted from the video which was dicussed on here last week.

Back
Top Bottom