Josh Klinghoffer Blames 'the Culture' for Morrissey Album Delay - Ultimate Classic Rock (June 5, 2022)

Album delay reason:

Excerpt:

“Morrissey has, I think, done himself no favors in the court of public opinion with some of the things he’s said or some of the pins he’s worn on television,” Klinghoffer admitted. “I think the whole story surrounding this record and the fact that it’s not out yet, if people were able to listen to the information and keep a cool head, they could see that there’s a greater discussion around this album than the album or the music itself.

“If Morrissey says something that’s offensive to people … I don’t know how much they know him, how much they know his music in the past,” the guitarist continued. “I don’t know how much time they spend listening to his [music], thinking that they really know where he’s coming from. People just might get offended. I don’t, because I honestly don’t think he’s a malicious person, even if he says stupid shit.”

At the end of the day, Klinghoffer is confident Bonfire of the Children deserves to be released, regardless of any controversies that may surround the singer.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
a witch-hunt obviously.

They don't even hide it. This is from the original list of quotes in the 1992 article & Danny Kelly doesn't get it right - there was no "all":

20220609_185642.jpg

And this is from Andrew Collins, who complied the list:

20220609_190656.jpg

While Morrissey is pilloried over words and badges, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers have a lengthy list of accusations of sexual assault. A knockabout World indeed. https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/anthony-kiedis-sexual-assault-history-details/

It also appears that Anthony Kiedis is no longer vegan, so I can loathe him entirely once again.

I will admit, MILKISMURDER, that your user name is correct, and that your signature is sufficiently damning of Morrissey. The only defense I can offer is that he is trying to be accommodating to a certain degree. One wishes that he would be more absolutist. But just as the vegan shames the vegetarian, the forager of nuts and mushrooms shames the vegan, and the principled suicide shames them all. Where is Morrissey to draw the line? Who knows, but probably further on the scale than the torture that is dairy, sadly.

I think the difference here is that RHCP have never presented themselves as anything other than sex-crazed chauvinist jocks, which is also what a majority of their audience is. But Morrissey's views have clashed with many people who have cherished him from the start as the voice of outsider, the non-carnivore who said that it takes strength to be gentle and kind. The disappointed ex-fans are those who have penned most of angry articles about him, not the people who have hated him from the start.

The only problem with this is that many of these "disappointed ex-fans," in my experience, tend to be carnivores. They seem to have their biggest disappointment with his (alleged) betrayal of what they thought were his left-wing politics (when in fact his politics have always been idiosyncratic).

The same man who wrote that it takes strength to be gentle and kind had also written about being hopelessly smitten with a tough kid who sometimes swallows nails, and being impressed by the kid's killing of a policeman when he was 13. The contradictions have always been there.

Last edited:
The reference given by Josh is to cancel culture. In this climate it should be Josh who has to answer for working with RHCP and Morrissey who is diminished by working with Chad Smith. Just watch Chad and co go to town on Cleo Rocos in this clip:

Says it all, unfortunately.

It also appears that Anthony Kiedis is no longer vegan, so I can loathe him entirely once again.

I will admit, MILKISMURDER, that your user name is correct, and that your signature is sufficiently damning of Morrissey. The only defense I can offer is that he is trying to be accommodating to a certain degree. One wishes that he would be more absolutist. But just as the vegan shames the vegetarian, the forager of nuts and mushrooms shames the vegan, and the principled suicide shames them all. Where is Morrissey to draw the line? Who knows, but probably further on the scale than the torture that is dairy, sadly.

You make another interesting point regarding Kiedis no longer being vegan, where is cancel culture for the speciesists who screw over other animals? Morrissey is a vegan but gets cancelled on anthropocentric grounds. Mob rule sets the arbitrary criteria in a non-vegan world.

I wrote the little satire sig at the time of joining the website, hopefully Moz doesn’t still order animal products.

Josh is a very cool guy and a very talented guitarrist. Huge Morrissey fan too.

I recommend watching the whole interview on YT, it's very interesting. Those bits posted give a slightly distorted image of his comments IMO.

You can watch it here:

At the end he speaks about Morrissey quite a bit.

Absolute hogwash. The only thing that's happened is that the things he's said and done have made people vote with their wallets. It's really that simple. Why would a record company waste money on something that isn't going to sell?
But it will sell, his releases always do. Admittedly, it isn't going to sell in the millions, and it won't stay in the charts for weeks. But to say it isn't going to sell is just wrong.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom