Josef Fritzl was sentenced to life in a psychiatric institution

The Seeker of Good Songs

I just learned of this...what a sick bastard.

(Reuters) - Josef Fritzl was sentenced to life in a psychiatric institution on Thursday for locking up and raping his daughter over 24 years, fathering seven children with her, and causing the death of an infant son.
Below is a timeline of events, based on a police account of Fritzl's confession, and information from the prosecutor and court:
1984 - Josef Fritzl lures his 18-year-old daughter Elisabeth into the cellar of his house, drugs her and locks her up.
From about 1989 to 2003 - Elisabeth gives birth to seven children fathered by Josef. One of them dies shortly after birth in 1996. Fritzl burns his body in a furnace.
1993 - Fritzl leaves a child on the doorstep of his house and forces Elisabeth to write a note saying she can't care for the baby. Two other children are later left in a similar way. Fritzl tells his wife Elisabeth has run off to join a sect.
1994 - Fritzl pretends to be Elisabeth in a phone call to his wife Rosemarie, telling her not to look for her. Rosemarie tells the police about the call from her "daughter" but they do not investigate further.
April 2008 - The cellar is discovered after one of the captive children, Kerstin, is rushed to hospital. Fritzl is arrested and confesses to imprisonment and incest, later proven by DNA tests.
June 2008 - Kerstin is revived from an artificial coma and joins her mother and siblings. They move to a secret location and are given new identities.
October 2008 - A psychiatric assessment shows Fritzl was aware of his actions during the 24-year period and is fit for trial despite a severe personality disorder.
November 2008 - Prosecutors charge Fritzl with murder, rape, enslavement, incest, coercion and deprivation of liberty.
March 16, 2009 - Fritzl goes on trial in a provincial court in St Poelten near Vienna, pleading guilty to rape and incest but denying murder in connection with the death of a newborn boy who died underground.
March 18 - Fritzl pleads guilty to murder and enslavement, reversing an innocent plea on the charges.
March 19 - Court sentences Fritzl to life in a psychiatric institution.

have seen a feature in tv yesterday about a french woman to whom a similar thing happened ..I have never heard of that case of her:

Lydia Gouardo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lydia Gouardo, born November 13th 1962 in Maisons-Alfort, Val-de-Marne[1], is a French woman who was imprisoned for 28 years, raped, and tortured by her legal father (he was not her biological father) in their home in Meaux and Coulommes in Seine et Marne. The abuse took place from 1971 to 1999.

Lydia gave birth to six children, having been made pregnant by her father. During her imprisonment, she escaped and phoned legal aid, but her father recaptured her in a family residence in Melun. She was finally freed in 1999 when her father died.

She wrote a book about her story: "Le silence des autres", with the French journalist and writer Jean-Michel Caradec'h. Michel Lafon Editor. 2008.

Her mother was convicted for failure to report the crimes she was aware of, and also for sexual abuse against one of Lydia's children.

Last edited:
I just learned of this...what a sick bastard.

(Reuters) - Josef Fritzl was sentenced to life in a psychiatric institution on Thursday for locking up and raping his daughter over 24 years, fathering seven children with her, and causing the death of an infant son.

Glad he was convicted so quickly but disappointed that his suffering for the remainder of his life will be nothing close to the amount of suffering he put his daughter through! :mad:

jo

I heard he 'abruptly' and surprisingly pleaded guilty to all the charges. Does that carry a lighter sentence? Also heard Elisabeth sat in secretly on the trial. Ugh...

I'm not all that familiar with the case, but how could his wife be so oblivious for 24 years? And all I can imagine is a man trying to sound like a young woman on a phone call :confused: :crazy:

What a sick bastard. I'd help hold him down for electroshock treatments.

You can hold his arms while I hold his neck down with my foot.

I heard he 'abruptly' and surprisingly pleaded guilty to all the charges. Does that carry a lighter sentence? Also heard Elisabeth sat in secretly on the trial. Ugh...

I'm not all that familiar with the case, but how could his wife be so oblivious for 24 years? And all I can imagine is a man trying to sound like a young woman on a phone call

Oh I hope not, there isn't a sentence long enough that could match what he did to his daughter.
I felt that was incredibly brave of her.

His wife is evidently an absolute moron.

I didn't know about the case in France, they're so similar. Utterly disgusting. :(

Oh I hope not, there isn't a sentence long enough that could match what he did to his daughter.
I felt that was incredibly brave of her.

His wife isn't guilty of anything at all? (well, being moronic isn't a true crime ;))
Are all those children quote, unquote... normal? I mean physically. We already know they'll be mentally f***ed up for life. :(

Apparently he used recordings of Elizabeth to make the phone call; he didn't pretend to be her.

And no, the children aren't "normal" but there's not too much info about them released. Some of their physical problems stem from incestual heritage, while some of their physical problems are because they lived in darkness and dimness in low-ceilinged close quarters.

If he had been chemically castrated after hid first rape it may have saved her from it ever happening.

But that would breach his human rights and that would never do.

The wife must be on another planet not to have known something.

Apparently he used recordings of Elizabeth to make the phone call; he didn't pretend to be her.

And no, the children aren't "normal" but there's not too much info about them released. Some of their physical problems stem from incestual heritage, while some of their physical problems are because they lived in darkness and dimness in low-ceilinged close quarters.

Thanks for the clarity on the insanity. Makes my skin crawl.

I didn't know about the case in France, they're so similar. Utterly disgusting. :(

I remember reading someone else's story in some magazine after Elisabeth was first discovered. This girl (between 18-22 years old) was hitchhiking and got into a car with a man and a woman with a baby, so she thought she'd be safe. He abducted her and kept her in his basement, and she wondered why the wife wouldn't help her when the she knew she was down in the basement. A few years later, after the girl was raped pretty much every day and I think had had a baby, the wife came down in tears to rescue her because the husband was out. The wife said that he had been abusing her too, and that she'd only let it go on for so long because if he didn't do it to the girl, he'd do it to the wife.

I doubt that was the case with Fritzl's wife, and even if it was, it would be incredibly selfish. But Rosemarie has other children, doesn't she? Maybe if she did know, she was scared that Fritzl would abuse or kill them if she told the police.

I just find it so hard to believe that there are other similar cases (e.g. the one in France) of this happening. It's truly disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom