Johnny Rogan will be reviewing Morrissey Autobiography for The Irish Times

Fr. Neil Horan writes:

Johnny Rogan will be reviewing Morrissey Autobiography for The Irish Times:

Harry Potter-style hysteria predicted for release of Morrissey’s autobiography - The Irish Times

Excerpt:

Johnny Rogan, who last year brought out a revised and updated 20th anniversary edition of his book, Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance, and who will review Autobiography for The Irish Times, welcomed the news.

“The mystery surrounding Morrissey’s Autobiography is the equivalent of a publishing phenomenon. In an age of pre-publication hype, embargos and lead-ins of six months or longer, his book virtually appears from nowhere with a promise of publication as early as October 17th. It promises to be a ‘Harry Potter’-type event with crowds gathering outside bookshops at midnight with all the accompanying fanfare. Already the book is provoking intense speculation as the questions multiply. The chief one for me is the format and price. We know Morrissey wanted it to appear in the Penguin Modern Classic series, but who could have anticipated that there would be no hardback? Amazingly, it’s seemingly going straight into mass-market format with a retail price of £8.99 – bargain of the century. There’s barely time to complete a serialisation deal either, a lucrative bonus for any publisher.

Johnny Rogan's book is fantastic. I highly doubt I will like Morrissey's biography more.

Johnny Rogan's book is fantastic. I highly doubt I will like Morrissey's biography more.

I agree. It will be interesting to see if and where the imminent autobiography differs from Rogan's tome. I think unless Morrissey has had a sudden attack of brutal self-awareness The Severed Alliance might well remain the only believable account of that period.

I agree. It will be interesting to see if and where the imminent autobiography differs from Rogan's tome. I think unless Morrissey has had a sudden attack of brutal self-awareness The Severed Alliance might well remain the only believable account of that period.

Yeah, I’m sure there may be some differences in the story telling but Rogan didn’t actually live the life did he? Morrissey’s version will be in HIS style of writing and it’s the way he comes across with his humorous, witty and eccentric way of expressing himself that makes the whole idea of this book exciting and will be fun to read. You people just don’t get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Unf***ingbelievable.

Yeah, I’m sure there may be some differences in the story telling but Rogan didn’t actually live the life did he? Morrissey’s version will be in HIS style of writing and it’s the way he comes across with his humorous, witty and eccentric way of expressing himself that makes the whole idea of this book exciting and will be fun to read. You people just don’t get it.

- - - Updated - - -
Hey Playcat, thing is, whilst I know the Moz can write great lyrics I have no idea if he can write a book.
But I agree with you that if the book is written well and is enjoyable to read then great!
In fact I care more about an great read than any sort of 'truth'.
Lets face it, Rogans account is bound to more accurate. Memory is famously unrealiable (as is Moz!).

you clearly have a taste for fantasy fiction over fact then.

Morrissey would have sued Rogan if there were factual inaccuracies. Instead he just wished him a violent death. That must mean the events described in The Severed Alliance are true.

- - - Updated - - -

Unf***ingbelievable.

Toujours, a chacun son gout. But the point John B makes is a very pertinent one. We would have ssen all manner of court cases had Rogan's book not been factual. We didn't. On the other side, I'd be very interested to contemplate the legal discussions that must have gone on before the printing of the Moz autobiography. And what may come after.

P.

Last edited:

Steven should have called his so called penguin classic "The great rock n roll swindle"

Benny-the-Butcher 11/10/13

Toujours, a chacun son gout. But the point John B makes is a very pertinent one. We would have ssen all manner of court cases had Rogan's book not been factual. We didn't. On the other side, I'd be very interested to contemplate the legal discussions that must have gone on before the printing of the Moz autobiography. And what may come after.

P.

Funnily enough there were lots of factual errors in the hardback edition of The Severed Alliance. I helped Johnny R correct them for the paperback reissue.

Last edited:
you clearly have a taste for fantasy fiction over fact then.

Dear fellow Anon,
Personally, I'm approaching (figure of speech) M's book as a work of fiction. Or fibs and fiddlesticks, if you prefer.

I know he'd rather we called it literature, but let's not be completely silly here.

- - - Updated - - -
Hey Playcat, thing is, whilst I know the Moz can write great lyrics I have no idea if he can write a book.
But I agree with you that if the book is written well and is enjoyable to read then great!
In fact I care more about an great read than any sort of 'truth'.
Lets face it, Rogans account is bound to more accurate. Memory is famously unrealiable (as is Moz!).

Actually, he’s written a couple of books and you might want to check them out. And I don’t see how he’s “unreliable” he released the book that he promised didn’t he? It only took ten years but what the hell.

Actually, he’s written a couple of books and you might want to check them out. And I don’t see how he’s “unreliable” he released the book that he promised didn’t he? It only took ten years but what the hell.

He's also disowned them

Back
Top Bottom