Johnny Marr's statement about the Smiths rumour

Posted on Johnny Marr's Twitter, a link to his Facebook update:

The rumour of the Smiths reunion is untrue. It's not happening.

UPDATE 10:50 AM PT:

The rumor may have started with this article, link posted by @GianniSantor0 on Twitter.

The Smiths to reform - Music-News.com
added: 26 Apr 2012 // by: Music-News.com Newsdesk

Music-News.com has learnt that one of the greatest bands the world has ever known are to reform.

The Smiths, widely regarded as THE seminal British band, are to throw their differences aside and return to the live stage this autumn.

The legendary songwriting partnership comprising of musical luminaries Morrissey and Marr are set to make a return after finding common ground.

It will be the first time that Manchester's independent monoliths, who were signed to London's Rough Trade label, have graced a stage since their acrimonious split in 1987.

Legal wranglings in the band saw other members, Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums), sue with varying degrees of success.

This announcement comes after a source revealed that the 80s icons had been in talks to perform with a well-known promoter.

The decision was said to have been made after fellow Mancunians, The Stone Roses, gave in and reformed.

The Smiths had previously turned down a lucrative offer of over 76 million pounds to tour the US.

Update: Since we published this article earlier today, denial of this reformation has been rife.

UPDATE 3:35PM PT:

Links posted by goinghome:

Johnny Marr quashes talk of Smiths reunion saying: 'I got things to do' - The Guardian
Guitarist dismisses online reports that the band will reform, while former drummer Mike Joyce also denies the rumours

Johnny Marr, Mike Joyce deny online Smiths reunion rumours - Gigwise
Guitarist issues statement via official website saying 'It's not happening'

Last edited:
The most laughable part is that someone believed that an event as meaningless as the Stone Roses doing it too would make this happen.

If Morrissey is declaring that his current band is "the best band I've ever worked with" as he recently did in Japan, do you really think he would even want to associate with Marr? It seems like he is happy living in Fantasy Land where he doesn't need anyone who could ever possibly outshine him or have as much of a say as him musically.

pure ignorance for a website to post something like that without a reliable source.

Read the Internets lately? Your rebuke reminds me of the line in "Apocalypse Now": "Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500".

If Morrissey is declaring that his current band is "the best band I've ever worked with" as he recently did in Japan, do you really think he would even want to associate with Marr? It seems like he is happy living in Fantasy Land where he doesn't need anyone who could ever possibly outshine him or have as much of a say as him musically.

He's definately in Fantasy Land! He thinks it's the best band because they never argue with him....OBEY MR MORRISSEY! OBEY MR MORRISSEY!

Johnny Marr couldn't outshine the Cribs

The most laughable part is that someone believed that an event as meaningless as the Stone Roses doing it too would make this happen.

True. Now, if the Inspiral Carpets, Easterhouse and Red Guitars were to reform, things might reach critical mass...

Johnny Marr couldn't outshine the Cribs

He did in the sense that he was the only notable thing about the band and brought them plenty of attention with just his name. Which is what I'm sure they wanted. I've always been of the opinion though that you don't get Johnny Marr in your band and then relegate him to rhythm guitar which has happened in the last two bands he has been in. So he really hasn't had much of a chance to do his own thing lately until he resurrected the Healers.

Morrissey on the other hand has been solo for almost 25 years and has been solely in charge for so long I highly doubt he wants to go from star to co-star. Boorer, Whyte, Street, Nevin, Rourke, Corbin, Day, Farrell, and Tobias have never been considered equals to Morrissey the way Marr has always been.

Because I'm always right;
The Smiths again? NEVER.

we'll let you know

He did in the sense that he was the only notable thing about the band and brought them plenty of attention with just his name. Which is what I'm sure they wanted. I've always been of the opinion though that you don't get Johnny Marr in your band and then relegate him to rhythm guitar which has happened in the last two bands he has been in. So he really hasn't had much of a chance to do his own thing lately until he resurrected the Healers.

Morrissey on the other hand has been solo for almost 25 years and has been solely in charge for so long I highly doubt he wants to go from star to co-star. Boorer, Whyte, Street, Nevin, Rourke, Corbin, Day, Farrell, and Tobias have never been considered equals to Morrissey the way Marr has always been.

Couldn't agree more. It seems like a shame that Morrissey's pride prevents him from considering a powerful co-writer like Marr again, because sharing the spotlight never bothered him in The Smiths and it has the potential to be hugely productive musically. Yet when it comes to talk of reunions, there's a strange kind of honour in that stubbornness too - something steely and self-destructive that I can't help but admire a little. Remember, Marr burned him by walking out on him; perhaps Moz is still a little sore and doesn't want the AWOL Wonderboy to return, Messiah-like, and appear to "save" his career after all these years of winging it on his own. Morrissey is the only Smith to have had a real solo career, truthfully. So if it's coming to a natural end...maybe the Captain wants to go down with his ship? Maybe that's why he's making these absurdly grand pronouncements about the current band. We all know (including him) that he doesn't really mean it, but it's the fact that he's heard saying it that counts. It's the verbal equivalent of the SMITHS IS DEAD t-shirt - it says, "I will not back down".

Last edited:
Smiths reunion remour the day before tickets for M.E.N. go on sale. hmmmmm

Smiths reunion remour the day before tickets for M.E.N. go on sale. hmmmmm

Or days after Joyce's radio station goes live? Nice opportunity today for him to get it mentioned in various media when he quickly offered his two pence worth. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Morrissey is the only Smith to have had a real solo career, truthfully. So if it's coming to a natural end...maybe the Captain wants to go down with his ship? Maybe that's why he's making these absurdly grand pronouncements about the current band. We all know (including him) that he doesn't really mean it, but it's the fact that he's heard saying it that counts. It's the verbal equivalent of the SMITHS IS DEAD t-shirt - it says, "I will not back down".

I think he absolutely believes it. I think he also absolutely believes that his last three albums have been the best of his career. I also think he believes his next two albums (that he has written but not recorded) are even better than those three combined!

Morrissey just seems like the type of guy who dislikes the majority of his back-catalog because he's so far removed from the feelings he had when he wrote them that they are now meaningless. He only seems like he can relate to his current crop of songs, and therefore only finds value in them. Which is probably why he is constantly retroactively altering his discography.

I think he absolutely believes it. I think he also absolutely believes that his last three albums have been the best of his career. I also think he believes his next two albums (that he has written but not recorded) are even better than those three combined!

Morrissey just seems like the type of guy who dislikes the majority of his back-catalog because he's so far removed from the feelings he had when he wrote them that they are now meaningless. He only seems like he can relate to his current crop of songs, and therefore only finds value in them. Which is probably why he is constantly retroactively altering his discography.

Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom