Johnny Marr's fantasy super group line-up - NME

Couldn't have said it better myself..

Drums: Stephen Morris, Joy Division/New Order
“He invented a way of playing the drums that has been a bedrock of really great music ever since. People don’t realise this, but no one actually played the drums like that before Stephen came along.”

The idea of Neil Peart and Johnny Marr in a supergroup is pretty laughable..
And I'm not saying Neil isn't talented, cause he obviously is and prolly inspired more rock drummers then any one...
two totally different styles though..

For drums.. I'm pretty partial to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILxZMfFBVY

A little talk, a little drumming, a little slow motion, a little live action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there's a difference betweeen NOT saying something about someone, as in this instance, and actually saying what you call 'some really nasty (if thinly veiled) comments about Morrissey' - maybe you could give some examples?

P.

Yes, more than happy to give an example. How about the very story we're discussing.
Whether he technically/semantically is or not, Morrissey is widely considered to be a crooner. Google 'Morrissey crooner' and the first page includes the following:
"Morrissey - still crooning after all these years"
"British crooner Morrissey"
"Morrissey crooning at the Cosmo"
"The lone crooner, Morrissey"
"Morrissey, forlorn British crooner"
"Manchester crooner Morrissey"

Johnny Marr says "I can't stand crooning". He might try and backtrack out of it, and say he was referring to the original 1950s style crooners, but it's not hard to read an insult (albeit veiled) aimed at Morrissey in those comments.
Furthermore, although I quite like him, I've always found Ray Davies' style quite contrived. He pronounces words differently when he sings, and uses a different accent. Morrissey is a much more natural singer than Davies.

Yes, more than happy to give an example. How about the very story we're discussing.
Whether he technically/semantically is or not, Morrissey is widely considered to be a crooner. Google 'Morrissey crooner' and the first page includes the following:
"Morrissey - still crooning after all these years"
"British crooner Morrissey"
"Morrissey crooning at the Cosmo"
"The lone crooner, Morrissey"
"Morrissey, forlorn British crooner"
"Manchester crooner Morrissey"

Johnny Marr says "I can't stand crooning". He might try and backtrack out of it, and say he was referring to the original 1950s style crooners, but it's not hard to read an insult (albeit veiled) aimed at Morrissey in those comments.
Furthermore, although I quite like him, I've always found Ray Davies' style quite contrived. He pronounces words differently when he sings, and uses a different accent. Morrissey is a much more natural singer than Davies.

No, I didn't mean that. Your earlier post suggested it was Marr himself who had made such comments, you said it here..."Marr, conversely,passes himself off as a down-to-earth, likeable kinda guy yet comes out with some really nasty (if thinly veiled) comments about Morrissey." - I don't recall such comments, and wondered if you could.

P.

Quite interesting to note as well that Morrissey, personally, cannot abide Davies. Some battle of the divas incident at the SXSW festival back in the day I seem to recall. Davies does seem a bit of a prick by all accounts; great writer, shit bloke. I'm sure alot of people, and not too far away either, echo the same of Moz.

It's a good thing he chose Davies as a singer and not himself. Jonny has such a flat, monotonous singing voice. Very dull and boring. Excellent guitarist, yes, but he really should stick to the side of the stage and not front and center.

It's a good thing he chose Davies as a singer and not himself. Jonny has such a flat, monotonous singing voice. Very dull and boring. Excellent guitarist, yes, but he really should stick to the side of the stage and not front and center.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Johnny is an amazing talent but singing sure isn't his strong-suit.

He should stay away from microphones as far as possible.

I'm not sure why he think people would want to hear him sing when he's not very good at it.

Marr is in fact one of the best guitarist in modern music and Morrissey is one of the biggest queen's in modern music.

I love it when others stick it to Morrissey he deserves everything that's thrown at him!!!

I adore Moz and I always will. But surely no one can deny Johnny's new single sounds fantastic.

Marr is in fact one of the best guitarist in modern music and Morrissey is one of the biggest queen's in modern music.

I love it when others stick it to Morrissey he deserves everything that's thrown at him!!!

Well the same applies to you, moron.

Nasty nasty Johnny

No, I didn't mean that. Your earlier post suggested it was Marr himself who had made such comments, you said it here..."Marr, conversely,passes himself off as a down-to-earth, likeable kinda guy yet comes out with some really nasty (if thinly veiled) comments about Morrissey." - I don't recall such comments, and wondered if you could.

P.
You've missed out Amy's comment, with all the proof you need of Marr's nasty side :
When JM wants to stick it to Morrissey, he does it pretty harshly. Throughout the Modest Mouse period he was positively venomous ("never trust someone whose sideburns are a different colour to the rest of their hair", "I'll never wear a tie on stage", "I'll never have a fringe that faces North instead of South", saying that Ian Curtis could have sung "Hand in Glove" better than Moz etc). But then they met up in '09/10, cleared the air and had that big PR love-in over the Cameron thing and everything was fine for a while. Distance grows between Morrissey & Marr when they don't communicate, and that creates the bitchiness - when they talk it disintegrates.

If Moz wanted, he could have eaten Marr's "cool" image like a lion, as the latter gives plenty of ammunition - failing miserably when singing Smiths covers, trying to dress like a 20 year old emo kid ( dyeing his hair while at it) and not least his "surfing on others' trends" solo career unlike the former. It's really laughable how Marr lack self-awareness.

Well, some of them still get on....

Tweets

20hAndy Rourke ‏@AndyRourke64
I really like the new @Johnny_Marr single! nice one Johnny! Looking forward to the album. xX -a

18h
Johnny Marr ‏@Johnny_Marr
@AndyRourke64 Good on you Andy. Love and best. Johnny x

http://twitter.com/Johnny_Marr/status/269596473941970945

Sad son andy/johnny,

"New" song is crap. Sounds like early baggy nineties shit. Beat is soooo! monotonous. Guitar riff? Like some nine year old autistic pest just distress the wire. Video? Pathetic. Some post-emo old fart pretending to be..... WHAT? Well, crap.

we'll let you know

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Johnny is an amazing talent but singing sure isn't his strong-suit.

He should stay away from microphones as far as possible.

I'm not sure why he think people would want to hear him sing when he's not very good at it.

People can technically be poor singers but still manage to be interesting vocalists. One of the best examples is Johnny's old pal, Bernard Sumner of New Order. He's technically one of the worst singers you'll ever come across, but he's voice is very listenable - there's always melancholy and a fragile timbre that resonates through to the listener - which is why, I suppose, he's been successful at it. Unfortunately, Marr's voice is only suitable for backing vocals, and he should be more than happy with this considering his talent on guitar.

The idea of Neil Peart and Johnny Marr in a supergroup is pretty laughable..
And I'm not saying Neil isn't talented, cause he obviously is and prolly inspired more rock drummers then any one...
two totally different styles though..

I totally agree that they would not work together in a super group. I was just pointing out who my favourite drummer is.

I don't think Johnny was referring to Morrissey (even implicitly) with the crooner comment - some fans just see things that way because we always look at Marr through Morrissey-tinted lenses and not as a standalone artist. Morrissey has never been a typical 'crooner' anyway, and it seems to be a word that is only used to describe his post-Quarry years.

When JM wants to stick it to Morrissey, he does it pretty harshly. Throughout the Modest Mouse period he was positively venomous ("never trust someone whose sideburns are a different colour to the rest of their hair", "I'll never wear a tie on stage", "I'll never have a fringe that faces North instead of South", saying that Ian Curtis could have sung "Hand in Glove" better than Moz etc). But then they met up in '09/10, cleared the air and had that big PR love-in over the Cameron thing and everything was fine for a while. Distance grows between Morrissey & Marr when they don't communicate, and that creates the bitchiness - when they talk it disintegrates.

I don't think "distance" has anything to do with their recent catfights...

I think it boils down to the fact that Marr has a new album coming out & Morrissey is trying to find a label to put out a new album yet all anyone can seem to ask them is when they are going to start working with each other again. I think they feel it invalidates their work and they probably find it insulting that it is insinuated that neither is very good without the other.

I think it boils down to the fact that Marr has a new album coming out & Morrissey is trying to find a label to put out a new album yet all anyone can seem to ask them is when they are going to start working with each other again. I think they feel it invalidates their work and they probably find it insulting that it is insinuated that neither is very good without the other.

This.

In which case they are both letting the media destroy their friendship, which is silly.
It's not really a catfight though, is it? Morrissey hasn't said anything nasty about JM - it's just Johnny slipping in bitchy remarks every time a music paper comes to talk to him. Maybe he is doing it out of frustration with the Press/as an attempt to stop them talking about the reunion, but he's an idiot if he thinks taking pot-shots at Morrissey is going to help sell his new LP or market whatever hopeless band he's in at the time. If anything, it's just going to cause more media rattle concerning the Smiths "feud".

F/O johnny Marr. This guy has had nowhere close to the success of Moz. The Smith's ain't getting back together and sorry, the world is a better place for it. It was a time and place that is now over. If you were too young to experience it, then buy all the tracks and listen now. Also, there is a thing called "video." Good luck to Johnny with his solo career, he'll need it.

He does not need luck, his new single blows out of the water anything MOZ has done since Vaxhull. It is so clear the musical direction MOZ has taken vs. Johnny is less than ideal. Johnny's new single is brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom