Johnny Marr wins lifetime achievement award - GQ magazine

44217_44216_1920.jpeg

Johnny Marr - Lifetime Achievement.

"As one of the founding members of The Smiths, Johnny Marr was responsible for reinventing guitar music for a new generation. And since then, it’s perhaps easier to list the artists he hasn’t collaborated with rather than the ones he has – no joke, there’s an entire Wikipedia page devoted to it, from Bryan Ferry to Paul McCartney, Talking Heads to The Pet Shop Boys."

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/gq-awards-2018-winners

2.38372256.jpg

Johnny Marr vows to never retire as he picks up GQ Award.

"The former Smiths guitarist said it would be a waste of his famous haircut if he were to call it a day in the music industry."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-vows-never-retire-15117215.amp?

Regards,
FWD.

UPDATE Sep. 7:

Video of acceptance speech posted by Zoinks:

He did thank the other Smiths. To be fair, I think if he mentioned Morrissey by name in this crowd, it might have gotten some boos.

Boy, does Kylie seem to really like him!

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF? Who drew the squiggly eyebrows on :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:??????????

He should give the award back seeing he has fake eyebrows/:oldman:

Nice to see for his smiths work alone but some of these collaborations are very iffy or even just misleading. The Paul McCartney collaboration didn’t lead to anything or produce any material. It was a session where the beatle gave him some advice. He toured with the pretenders and played on one single before getting into and argument with hynde and leaving
Touring and writing is still a collaboration. He also played on the Windows of the World single with The Pretenders.

Johnny Marr's introduction in Autobiography is nothing short of hallowed. This will never be said about Jesse:

"I am shaken when I hear Johnny play guitar, because he is quite obviously gifted and almost unnaturally multi-talented. Since he shows an exact perspective on all things, I can't help but wonder, what is he doing here with me? Why has Johnny not already sprayed his mark - elsewhere, with others less scarred and less complicated than I am? It seemed to me that Johnny had enough spark and determination to push his way in amongst Manchester's headhunters - yet here he was, with someone whose natural bearing discouraged openness."
Thanks for posting that excerpt. Beautiful written words. I need to read Autobiography again.

Ah now I see why you don't like Morrissey's last two albums. It'a all clear now.
I don't like those examples either, but I would say that they're at least as good as Kiss Me A Lot.

Touring and writing is still a collaboration. He also played on the Windows of the World single with The Pretenders.

I think I said that in the quote about him playing on the one single. We’re there other singles he played on with the pretenders. Seemed like he went on tour and then got pushed out. Either way, as cool as it is and as good a player as he obviously is, that doesn’t impress me to much. Writing is of course collaborating but touring another persons or bands material isn’t much of a collaboration imo. It doesn’t allow Johnny to express to much. I liked electronic (own all the albums) and I like his solo work and of course his smiths guitar work did redefine the guitar but he doesn’t have a lot of writing credits that I like much. One for the the, a couple for modest mouse. I really dislike the cribs etc. I guess what I’m saying is that a lot of these collaborations are kinda slight imo. I’m not putting him down or saying he doesn’t deserve the award but rather that I think people make to much of them

Congrats to all the :oldman: cue balls out there like Mao and SG23!! Cue dome :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: got one:trophy: for the lot of you!!:lbf:

If anyone here really hates Morrissey, and I mean, Uncleskinnybob levels of hate, then post links to two consecutive albums by a current songwriter that you think are better than Morrissey's World Peace is None of Your Business and Low in High School Albums.

He did thank the other Smiths. To be fair, I think if he mentioned Morrissey by name in this crowd, it might have gotten some boos.

Boy, does Kylie seem to really like him!

I copy and pasted this as for me Johnny deserves his award, if only for giving the world Morrissey

Ditto, that’s a wonderful statement

Yes and that statement was also copy and pasted. I had EXACTLY the same email and it ended with that line about Johnny deserving the award for giving the world morrissey.
Very odd to pretend to have written it when Alistair M wrote the whole lot.

If anyone here really hates Morrissey, and I mean, Uncleskinnybob levels of hate, then post links to two consecutive albums by a current songwriter that you think are better than Morrissey's World Peace is None of Your Business and Low in High School Albums.

Come on! Don't f***ing say that his last two albums are shit and then hide behind that statement! Post some links to two albums by another artist that you believe are better than those albums!

Come on!

Come on! Don't f***ing say that his last two albums are shit and then hide behind that statement! Post some links to two albums by another artist that you believe are better than those albums!
I love it when Anonymous argues with Anonymous :rolleyes:

Well deserved award for a wonderful man. And doesn't he look fantastic?

Actually Amy I think he looks dreadful. people like to slag off Moz for never meeting an open shirt he didn't like yet there is something about Johnny with his jet black hair and marble forehead, his Hollywood gnashers and his hipster clothing is just plain yuck and a little creepy.

'All the guys in The Smiths,' :lbf: I must admit that is a pretty good troll.

ahh johnboy your street cred is down the pan,photographed with kylie,whos next your arm round sir gary barlow.some of these people will go to the opening of a fridge door.

I'd say these could artistically compete with anything on whirled peas and mediocre in middle school.

You have given us two of the many examples of MK Ultra manufactured pop tartlets from the paedo music industry.
The antithesis of everything Morrissey is about.
He's well aware of their game as is everyone in the industry, but unlike most of them, he doesn't participate and is openly critical. Something I really admire about him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom