Johnny Marr to collect Godlike Genius prize at NME Awards - nme.com

To be honest I'm disappointed about the news. Johnny could have declined this award like Morrissey who turned it down.

Why in God's name would he turn it down?

He has a new album coming out and he richly deserves the award. The fact that the NME are bothered when Morrissey acts all racist is a matter purely for Morrissey.

BC7JtiXCcAAHNlv.jpg

Fans, friends and musicians have reacted with near-universal approval of NME's decision to hand Johnny Marr the Godlike Genius title at this year's NME Awards.

Reaction on Twitter has been overwhelmingly positive, with Marr proving to be a popular choice to receive recognition for his career and talent. Musicians such as The Charlatans' Tim Burgess and Clint Boon of Inspiral Carpets led the response with many more fans following. Scroll down to see a selection of the feedback received.

The former guitarist in The Smiths, who has also played with bands such as Modest Mouse and The Cribs, joins the esteemed list of acts to be handed the award including Paul Weller, The Cure and Dave Grohl. Speaking about his accolade, Marr said: "It is a very nice thing to be getting this award and I am honoured. The NME seems to be good at giving this award to people I like so I’m in good company. I guess it means that some things are alright with the world."

NME editor Mike Williams says: "All hail Johnny Marr, NME Godlike Genius 2013 and the newest recruit into NME’s holy order of music legends. And what a legend he is! Not content with rewriting the history of music with one of the world’s greatest ever bands, The Smiths, he’s continued to push boundaries and evolve throughout his career, working with some of the best and most exciting artists on the planet. So it gives me great pleasure to announce Johnny as our Godlike Genius. Never has anyone been so utterly deserving of the title."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/johnny-marr/68660#CK0JEcKQPvupxmWD.99

Last edited:
Why in God's name would he turn it down?

He has a new album coming out and he richly deserves the award. The fact that the NME are bothered when Morrissey acts all racist is a matter purely for Morrissey.

why can't you just be happy for the guy :rolleyes:

This award is tongue in cheek, not really important.

We already know that Johnny is a genius since he released Hand In Glove in 1983.

To be honest I'm disappointed about the news. Johnny could have declined this award like Morrissey who turned it down.

Have you totally lost the plot?
Why on earth would Marr turn it down? He has enjoyed a fantastic relationship with the NME for 30 years, given tons of brilliant interviews and not a single idiotic comment about immigrants flooding into the country, black people on top of the pops, an entire nation being a subspecies, or a pregnant woman faking her illness to conceal anorexia.

Have you totally lost the plot?
Why on earth would Marr turn it down? He has enjoyed a fantastic relationship with the NME for 30 years, given tons of brilliant interviews and not a single idiotic comment about immigrants flooding into the country, black people on top of the pops, an entire nation being a subspecies, or a pregnant woman faking her illness to conceal anorexia.

In answer to your first six words, she lost it a long time ago........

Jukebox Jury

I think it's great, and don't see why in particular he'd turn it down. As for Morrissey, the main thing in my opinion is that he got it, not that he declined to accept it. And the fact that he did doesn't diminish the compliment.

Back
Top Bottom