Johnny Marr & The Healers @ The Deaf Institute 06/10/11

Dave2006

I'm surprised by the lack of a thread on last night's gig :confused: No photos and no video clips...

Top night last night from Johnny and the Healer. 5 Smiths songs covered - with the highlight for me being There is a Light That Never Goes Out as the encore - he didn't do this last week at Night and Day. I know I can die a happy man now that I have seen Johnny play that riff. Johnny dedicated the song to Bert Jansch.

The only duff point (I think) was a misplaced comment about the summer riots - asking if we were on the streets - ignore the fact that most of the audience was in their 30s and 40s and that most of the rioters were under 25 - most of Manchester reacted to the riots and have been happily shopping looters to the police
i+heart+MCR.jpg

It was good to say 'hello' to UncleSkinny at the end - hope you enjoy the rest of your trip to Manc. Shame I didn't manage to meet up with Irregular Regular - maybe next time.

The gig has been featured on the news on 6Music this morning with an interview with Johnny before the gig and with some fans after.

Looking at Twitter this morning it looks like there is an interview with Johnny in today's Sun - I can't find this online, and I'm buggered if I'm buying that rag.

Dave

I'm surprised by the lack of a thread on last night's gig :confused: No photos and no video clips..Dave

Just going to upload my video of nowhere fast from last night. I agree it was a brilliant show, a couple of technical difficulties but none the less a great show.

There was a bloke with a professional looking video camera - I wonder if he was 'officially' recording it for some future purpose?

Dave

Was 'Nowhere Fast' new for last night - it wasn't sung at N&D, was it sung on Tuesday?

Dave

Nowhere fast was new for last night. Talks of a full-blown tour in January

"Nowhere Fast" is a great song. I'd really, really love to see him add "Shoplifters..." at some point.

There was a bloke with a professional looking video camera - I wonder if he was 'officially' recording it for some future purpose? Dave

It didn't look like the whole show was recorded so maybe the recordings for a music video for one of the singles?

First time i saw Johnny Last night and wasnt disapointed.

had an awful day in work and was considering not going.
Drove by myself from liverpool to manchester stuck in trafic for 45 minutes on the motorway. got absolutely drenched walking 1/2 mile from my parking to the arena.

But got to stand about a metre away from johnny and watching him perform was an experience i will never forget

and then at the end of thr night i got to shake his hand as he left te stage

a GREAT GREAT DAY

It was indeed a top evening. Enjoyed every second. There was one song he introduced as 'very new' - "Jeremiah..." something. I liked that one very much, as well as The Smiths' stuff, of course. Nice to see Dave, Irregular Regular, idontoweyouanything and countless others. Top night. Now for the book launch tonight...

P.

Last edited:
Nowhere Fast sounds great. Johnny's singing is pretty good. His voice suits certain Smiths songs and not others.
What's the story on the other band members?

I don't have a big problem with Morrissey's band like some but I'd prefer this more stripped down sound plus a keyboard for certain songs.

Finally, what's the best of the new Healers songs? I want to check out a Youtube video or two.

Quick search reveals it might be a scene from Saturday Night And Sunday Morning.

P.

Didn't Johnny Marr tell the rest of the smiths that he was sick of quiffs and all that Saturday Night and Sunday Morning nonesnse at the last band meeting at Geales Fish and Chip Restaurant? Glad to hear he has changed his mind....

Best Marr vocal on a Smiths song! He's actually the best he's been for years! :)

I should have made the effort, I knew I'd regret not being there, but not liking boomslang made me think I'd not bother. A Decision I'll probably regret for a long time. Dave 2006's comment that he could die happy having seen johnny play the riff off There is alight confirms this.

Back
Top Bottom