"Johnny Marr review: Where Morrissey failed, his Smiths bandmate scores a clear win" by Bernard Zuel

Johnny Marr review: Where Morrissey failed, his Smiths bandmate scores a clear win (4/5 stars) - The Sydney Morning Herald
by Bernard Zuel

Excerpt:

Comparisons are odious, no doubt, and a cheap shot one way or another. But it's too hard to ignore, two months after Morrissey – Johnny Marr's partner in the Smiths and his tetchy rival in the 30 years since – played in these parts.

Both have far longer solo careers than their brief, if storied, time in that great Manchester band of the 1980s, yet never is a word written about them without reference to the Smiths, often suggesting that no matter how good their subsequent work is, it will never match what they did then.

Of course, that's unfair and not automatically right, as the dull Smiths' songs What She Said and Meat Is Murder proved in May. And, of course, that's never going to change.

But if it is true that Morrissey and Marr unfairly carry the weight of those six years of oft-brilliant songwriting and recording, it's also true both are lifted by the deep emotional legacy of that band. Put it this way, at both shows, while the best of their solo years earn strong cheers, any moments of the Smiths are greeted with roof-rattling roars of recognition, connection and satisfaction.

The test is how do they build around it and how do they bring us to the "best of the rest"?

Morrissey, a stage natural, this year failed where he had succeeded in 2012, resting on his charisma and loading the set with the fruits of a dull recent record.

Marr, an inferior singer, by contrast built on the explosions of joy that were his 2014 Australian shows, helped not just by a better choice of Smiths songs (the thrill of a long unheard The Headmaster Ritual; the glorious pleasures of There Is a Light That Never Goes Out) and a better grade of non-Smiths material, but a better grasp of how to enjoy the moment.

Related item:

This is absolute bull ox rub it. Craig Gannon was a much better guitarist than Johnny Marr. Anonymous in Higginsbottomtown United ///((0///

These days I'd sooner go to a Dale Hibbert solo gig than pay money to see Morrissey.

I liked his first solo album. Quite a bit. I haven't listened to it that often recently, but I suppose the same is true of some Morrissey's solo stuff. I also saw him live.

I don't think they are comparable artists. In some ways, maybe it is possible that Johnny Marr is technically better, but Morrissey brings a certain quality to everything he does that is lacking in Marr's work. I don't know quite how to articulate it, but it's there.

Maybe the author should rent Who Put the M in Manchester? I think Marr is about 5 years behind Morrissey in terms of playing The Smiths catalog.

Morrissey has the voice. Marr has the band.

I just don't think it's a necessary or relevant comparison. They haven't had anything to do with each other for nearly 30 years but people can't let it go. Somebody can compare my life to those of the other kids who were in my cub scout troop 28 years ago but it seems like a stretch to try to make it significant. This writer liked one act better than another is all this boils down to. The rest of it is trying to make something of nothing. Good luck to both of these guys. Johnny seems like a really cool guy and I look forward to reading his book.

Morrissey gave us Asleep live. Johnny will never be able to do that. So Moz wins in my book for that reason alone. Watching him doing this song the first time after decades in San Jose last year and seeing in his face and bodylanguage how difficult it was for him to sing it was another eyeopener for me. It showed me again that nomatter how much certain songs mean to Johnny, they always mean a bit more to Moz.

I love Johnny... But if I had to choose, for the rest of my life, I could only see 1 Morrissey concert OR 100 Johnny Marr concerts...I'd choose the 1 Morrissey show.

I just don't think it's a necessary or relevant comparison. They haven't had anything to do with each other for nearly 30 years but people can't let it go. Somebody can compare my life to those of the other kids who were in my cub scout troop 28 years ago but it seems like a stretch to try to make it significant. This writer liked one act better than another is all this boils down to. The rest of it is trying to make something of nothing. Good luck to both of these guys. Johnny seems like a really cool guy and I look forward to reading his book.

this is true but smh @ at all the bitter moz fans in this thread. The Smiths were great and both Morrissey and Johnny are/were great. I have to admit i don't like morrissey as a person, but i love The Smiths so much i have some respect for him

old news (may 27)
JM Solo is not interesting for me, Only with the Smiths.
I don't like his (solo)music and i don't like his voice.

that's me with both moz and johnny solo tbh. I only like The Smiths :(

So ... Do we now have to post EVERY review or news item about Johnny Marr where Moz is mentioned and declare it as "Moz news"? And on the front page? Really? Sorry, it's beyond me.

Trouble is, Marr can't sing (just the idea of him delivering The Headmaster Ritual is really laughable), doesn't have the charisma of a front man, and has NOTHING in his own non-Smiths catalogue that comes anywhere close to Morrissey's solo stuff. Also begs the question, why was Morrissey at the SOH, yet Marr was at the much smaller Enmore...? That's not what I call "a clear win".

This is only news for So_Low because it criticises Morrissey.

Trouble is, Marr can't sing (just the idea of him delivering The Headmaster Ritual is really laughable), doesn't have the charisma of a front man, and has NOTHING in his own non-Smiths catalogue that comes anywhere close to Morrissey's solo stuff. Also begs the question, why was Morrissey at the SOH, yet Marr was at the much smaller Enmore...? That's not what I call "a clear win".

This is only news for So_Low because it criticises Morrissey.

why u sound so bitter tho? is just an article ffs! damn, some of u get mad over nothing

imagine paying to see Johnny Marr live

imagine

My observation

1. When a popular band breaks up or calls it a day, the lead single almost always goes on to have the most prominent solo career compared to the other members. The Police and Sting. Ozzy and Black Sabbath. You get the point. Therefore, it should be no surprise that Morrissey has gone on to have a more well known and more lucrative career compared to Marr, Rourke, and Joyce.

2. During the past 6-7 months I have been lucky to have caught both Marr and Morrissey at their respective shows in Washington, DC. While I enjoyed Morrissey (even with only 2 Smiths covers) and admit his singing is still spot on still while in his mid 50s........Marr put on a much more fun show. He seemed to be having a lot of fun playing Smiths covers along with his solo work, he seemed more full of energy compared to Morrissey, and he just seemed to be enjoying himself. That fun factor came through in his performance.

So in summation, Morrisey has the voice, Marr has the musical talent. But Marr's fun factor and musical talent (along with his band) more than made up for his singing ability while Morrissey just seems to be going through the motions.

My observation

1. When a popular band breaks up or calls it a day, the lead single almost always goes on to have the most prominent solo career compared to the other members. The Police and Sting. Ozzy and Black Sabbath. You get the point. Therefore, it should be no surprise that Morrissey has gone on to have a more well known and more lucrative career compared to Marr, Rourke, and Joyce.

2. During the past 6-7 months I have been lucky to have caught both Marr and Morrissey at their respective shows in Washington, DC. While I enjoyed Morrissey (even with only 2 Smiths covers) and admit his singing is still spot on still while in his mid 50s........Marr put on a much more fun show. He seemed to be having a lot of fun playing Smiths covers along with his solo work, he seemed more full of energy compared to Morrissey, and he just seemed to be enjoying himself. That fun factor came through in his performance.

So in summation, Morrisey has the voice, Marr has the musical talent. But Marr's fun factor and musical talent (along with his band) more than made up for his singing ability while Morrissey just seems to be going through the motions.

"So in summation, Morrisey has the voice, Marr has the musical talent. "

but whos got the songs?

It wasn't Johnny who said he was better than moz or anything like that, yet some moz fan on this thread take every opportunity to bash Marr. Some of you seem as bitter as Morrissey

It wasn't Johnny who said he was better than moz or anything like that, yet some moz fan on this thread take every opportunity to bash Marr. Some of you seem as bitter as Morrissey

And some Marr fans on this forum are quite bitter as well.

For some reason many people feel as though they had some sort of personal stake in the break up of the Smiths and thus a need to take sides. I've never entirely understood it.

And some Marr fans on this forum are quite bitter as well.

For some reason many people feel as though they had some sort of personal stake in the break up of the Smiths and thus a need to take sides. I've never entirely understood it.

i agree with your last comment.I hate when people take sides for either Johnny or Morrissey. So childish and stupid.

tbh most of people who are against Morrissey on this thread are not his johnny's fans or anything, they just hate Morrissey (and most of Johnny fans are being really respectful, unlike moz fans who take every chane to make fun or belittle Johnny's talent. Just saying

I never realised it was a failure to sell out 4 nights at the Opera House in a country he's only toured twice in his entire career.

Who knew?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom