"Johnny Marr review: Where Morrissey failed, his Smiths bandmate scores a clear win" by Bernard Zuel

Johnny Marr review: Where Morrissey failed, his Smiths bandmate scores a clear win (4/5 stars) - The Sydney Morning Herald
by Bernard Zuel

Excerpt:

Comparisons are odious, no doubt, and a cheap shot one way or another. But it's too hard to ignore, two months after Morrissey – Johnny Marr's partner in the Smiths and his tetchy rival in the 30 years since – played in these parts.

Both have far longer solo careers than their brief, if storied, time in that great Manchester band of the 1980s, yet never is a word written about them without reference to the Smiths, often suggesting that no matter how good their subsequent work is, it will never match what they did then.

Of course, that's unfair and not automatically right, as the dull Smiths' songs What She Said and Meat Is Murder proved in May. And, of course, that's never going to change.

But if it is true that Morrissey and Marr unfairly carry the weight of those six years of oft-brilliant songwriting and recording, it's also true both are lifted by the deep emotional legacy of that band. Put it this way, at both shows, while the best of their solo years earn strong cheers, any moments of the Smiths are greeted with roof-rattling roars of recognition, connection and satisfaction.

The test is how do they build around it and how do they bring us to the "best of the rest"?

Morrissey, a stage natural, this year failed where he had succeeded in 2012, resting on his charisma and loading the set with the fruits of a dull recent record.

Marr, an inferior singer, by contrast built on the explosions of joy that were his 2014 Australian shows, helped not just by a better choice of Smiths songs (the thrill of a long unheard The Headmaster Ritual; the glorious pleasures of There Is a Light That Never Goes Out) and a better grade of non-Smiths material, but a better grasp of how to enjoy the moment.

Related item:

We hope Marr wields an axe about his Veganism compared to Morrissey's Vegetarianism.

Marr, despite previous suede shoe faux-pas has some moral legitimacy singing 'Meat Is Murder', Morrissey has NONE.

Best
GoBB on Santorini
'see The Greek Ideal'

Well, he was on the cover and did an interview for the vegan society a couple of years back: https://veganfuture.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/interview-with-vegan-johnny-marr/

That said, at least Johnny *has* claimed to be vegan, something that - to the best of my knowledge - despite bazillions of interviews and True To You updates about animal welfare, Morrissey never has. Until we get a public statement, he is what he has been for donkey's years - a vegetarian only.

cool another meat eating derail

Has the journalist ever reviewed a Smiths tribute band? I think they'd be his favourite group of all time

Well, he was on the cover and did an interview for the vegan society a couple of years back: https://veganfuture.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/interview-with-vegan-johnny-marr/

That said, at least Johnny *has* claimed to be vegan, something that - to the best of my knowledge - despite bazillions of interviews and True To You updates about animal welfare, Morrissey never has. Until we get a public statement, he is what he has been for donkey's years - a vegetarian only.

My friend served Johnny breakfast in a cafe in Manchester a few years ago - he's not vegan, he ordered eggs.

We hope Marr wields an axe about his Veganism compared to Morrissey's Vegetarianism.

Marr, despite previous suede shoe faux-pas has some moral legitimacy singing 'Meat Is Murder', Morrissey has NONE.

Best
GoBB on Santorini
'see The Greek Ideal'

Nope, see my post re; Johnny Marr and breakfast ordering. No legitimacy whatsoever.

Your anecdotal 'evidence' from a clearly fictitious waiter 'friend' has no legimacy.

#MorrisseyMurdersCows4Cheese #MilkIsMurder #MorrisseyIsAnUddersucker

Best
GoBB
now bored of Santorini

Has Steven ever appeared in or on the cover of vegan society ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Your anecdotal 'evidence' from a clearly fictitious waiter 'friend' has no legimacy.

#MorrisseyMurdersCows4Cheese #MilkIsMurder #MorrisseyIsAnUddersucker

Best
GoBB
now bored of Santorini

Ah, who said I lied because I never, I never….

It's a true story, although it was a couple of years ago. He ordered toast with no butter, and eggs. Now, are you a friend of the animals or not? Make your mind up….

Ah, who said I lied because I never, I never….

It's a true story, although it was a couple of years ago. He ordered toast with no butter, and eggs. Now, are you a friend of the animals or not? Make your mind up….

MorrisseyMurdersCows4Cheese -he is the Animal's worst enemy. An opportunist fake rebel who trolled the world with his DairyDeathFactory Cheesetarianism for 3decades, berating Carnivores when his own diet and footwear remorselessly supported animal torture and slaughter.

MorrisseyMurdersCows4Cheese -and he's never repented his sins hence his Legacy will be scorn and ridicule.

Best
GoBB
Fera -Santorini -Greece

Johnny Marr is a great guitarist, but he has been a journeyman in one form or another for 30 years. Even if Morrissey's career is over now - and perhaps it is - there is no doubt about which one 'succeeded' after the Smiths.

That's kind of what I was going to say in critiquing the article's description of Marr and Morrissey as post-Smiths "rivals". They certainly haven't been rivalsin a musical or career success respect. Morrissey clearly wins overall. Regardless of where Morrissey is at now, his solo career in the 10 years after the half lengthed five year Smiths existence was largely a huge success.

He had a huge comeback in 2004 that reinforced his popularity in his own right while beginning to celebrate the Smiths' legacy.

Right now Morrissey is not where he wants to be and is stubbornly determined to still make it big in America. But if Johnny Marr's career in the past two or three years looks better than Morrissey's, that's not saying much considering Morrissey's vastly successful solo career overall.

If you had the luck to see johnny live in the last 15 months, you definetly will say, that johnny is the new smiths! The smiths songs he played are authentic and were so brilliant. You can't even compare the cover version of Mozzers top 40 cover band with his bad mood no fun rockers. Actually his band is full of crashing bores.
Even with johnnys voice improved a lot and you do not miss morrisseys voice in his performance of classics mozzers band is not capable to play.
amen

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom