Johnny Marr responds to Morrissey's open letter via Twitter (January 26, 2022)

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's time to bite the bullet.... either he tells his band members what to wear and endorses their uniforms (which is pretty damn controlling and slightly weird)... or he doesn't, at which point he's the only one NOT wearing a "Fück Trump" shirt, so I guess he doesn't think that... which one will it be?
Extremely dumb take.

'which is pretty damn controlling and slightly weird' - yes. That's Morrissey.

Often you see the band wearing animal rights tees and Morrissey wearing a button up / something fancier... Using your logic Morrissey is the only one who dosen't care about animals then. Using your logic someone who dosen't walk around wearing a 'f*** trump' shirt everyday is a trump supporter? Have you read the anti trump comments? Or do you really think his lack of a 'f*** trump' shirt is more telling?

Does an endorsement rule out a harsh critique? Or does a harsh critique rule out an endorsement? I would say so. (in the same time frame)
The fact remains that my statement was correct, he endorsed her and you didn't know, which is fine, but let it go

Extremely dumb take.

'which is pretty damn controlling and slightly weird' - yes. That's Morrissey.

Often you see the band wearing animal rights tees and Morrissey wearing a button up / something fancier... Using your logic Morrissey is the only one who dosen't care about animals then. Using your logic someone who dosen't walk around wearing a 'f*** trump' shirt everyday is a trump supporter? Have you read the anti trump comments? Or do you really think his lack of a 'f*** trump' shirt is more telling?
Wow, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

The Pro-Moz cultists who keep telling me he's an agent provocateur seem to think that Morrissey is the only person who can behave that way. The pro-Moz trolls seem to take the bait and miss the point.

Nonetheless, for the avoidance of ambiguity, and for the incredibly slow kids at the back of the room, it's no surprise Morrissey is pretty damn controlling and slightly weird, I'd already worked that out about 15 years ago.

The fact remains that my statement was correct, he endorsed her and you didn't know, which is fine, but let it go
Thats fine, I admit I was wrong. I didn't realise he endorsed her, and was surprised to learn he did since he bad mouthed her quite a bit later on.

The Pro-Moz cultists who keep telling me he's an agent provocateur seem to think that Morrissey is the only person who can behave that way. The pro-Moz trolls seem to take the bait and miss the point.

Nonetheless, for the avoidance of ambiguity, and for the incredibly slow kids at the back of the room, it's no surprise Morrissey is pretty damn controlling and slightly weird, I'd already worked that out about 15 years ago.

With the amount of shit you see here and more prominently elsewhere the line between sarcasm and stupidity becomes increasingly blurred.

Who is even provactive anymore besides Morrissey and Johnny Rotten? I really can't think of anyone else.

An odd question here from something of a "newbie" here and particularly for those following this situation with empathy, insight and knowledge based on close observation of this tragedy . . .

Where, if anywhere, does Andy Rourke fit into this present dynamic between M and M?

Totally out of the picture? Detached? Not detached?

Just interested . . .

Praying for both Ms . . .

An odd question here from something of a "newbie" here and particularly for those following this situation with empathy, insight and knowledge based on close observation of this tragedy . . .

Where, if anywhere, does Andy Rourke fit into this present dynamic between M and M?

Totally out of the picture? Detached? Not detached?

Just interested . . .

Praying for both Ms . . .
Safe to assume he may lean towards Marr, but was surprisingly supportive in 2019 towards Morrissey with his: "A unique individual and a real talent… it was special working with him" & “I think you definitely need some colourful characters, you have got to love John Lydon people like that and Morrissey obviously – without that it would be a boring world.” comments circa the badge wearing reports. He was quick to distance himself from 'Classically Smiths' too, which would have probably gone down well with both.

Xsnoize, 2019:

"When asked what his relationship with Johnny is like now, he insisted that "no matter what" they will always be close as they grew up together.

He said: "It's great, obviously he is very busy ... but whenever he is in New York we meet up. I always go to his shows.

"He'll come to my apartment and we hang out, go for breakfast, stuff like that.

"He's one of my oldest friends; we were at school together, known him since I was 14. No matter what happens we are always going to be friends."

He's popped up on stage with Marr a few times over the years too, but less vocal re: Morrissey until recently.
Regards,
FWD.

Many thanks, FWD!

So it's time to bite the bullet.... either he tells his band members what to wear and endorses their uniforms (which is pretty damn controlling and slightly weird)... or he doesn't, at which point he's the only one NOT wearing a "Fück Trump" shirt, so I guess he doesn't think that... which one will it be?

20220206_051923.jpg

Although I don't get why it would be weird to discuss stage costumes?

It's kinda weird to insist on band members wearing matching uniforms on stage (and, I think off), as if they were school kids without a shred of their own identity and he was the headmaster.

Morrissey ‘weird’ ? never. lol

It’s a Moz Moz Moz World! And that’s why most go to his shows or
listen to his albums. The shows are
a presentation of him, it’s all about him and even beyond.. it starts with the fans anticipation of the show, the Moz experience and leaving the venue with a cherished memory. Yes, this is true for many.

Though, I could see how you may disagree, and your individual experience may have been different, can’t help that.

Kinky power trip

😐

:p

It's kinda weird to insist on band members wearing matching uniforms on stage (and, I think off), as if they were school kids without a shred of their own identity and he was the headmaster.

It's a show.

Everything in it is a decision, even if the decision is, "do what you like".

Why do you think he tells them what to wear off-stage?

It's a show.

Everything in it is a decision, even if the decision is, "do what you like".

Why do you think he tells them what to wear off-stage?

Yes.

"The production carries “sound-check suits”. I am informed that the band are considered “ambassadors” of the Morrissey tour and are therefore expected to be dressed in these suits for all soundchecks, all collective flights, all dinners and functions that may possibly include Morrissey – and it’s my responsibility to make sure that they are wearing them."

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom